blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:02:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272483 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 530889 times)
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 04, 2015, 07:13:03 PM »

Quick numbers update. Last fortnight or so saw a bit of partying/drinking so i haven't quite made the progress i would have liked. Going forward into autumn my lifestyle should contain much less of that now and i can concentrate on getting those numbers up.

Body weight - 69.4kgs.

Squat: 77.5
Bench: 47.5
Deadlift: 105
Row: 57.5
OHP: 35

Looked at the bar when i loaded up 40 on the OHP today and my brain just went..."cmon bro...you can't do this". Lol. It's weird but i definitely had a big mental block about it. So i decided to do 35kgs today and work back up. Found it fairly easy and i took the opportunity to focus on my form a lot harder. I mean it's no big deal hopefully, next Monday i'll be right back at 40 and fingers crossed, this time i'll clear it. Feel free to have a go at me though if you feel i took the easy way out Cheesy but i just felt like rather than waste another session failing at 40, deloading and going backward for 2 sessions might be more beneficial in the long term.

Pretty sure that's the protocol when doing SL5x5 right? If you fail 2 lifts in a row, deload, then 3x5 or something, right? Think you'll get 40kg next rotation no problems.

Just noticed your deadlift number is actually huge. 1.5xBW for 5 reps is a massive achievement.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 04, 2015, 08:25:56 PM »

Quick numbers update. Last fortnight or so saw a bit of partying/drinking so i haven't quite made the progress i would have liked. Going forward into autumn my lifestyle should contain much less of that now and i can concentrate on getting those numbers up.

Body weight - 69.4kgs.

Squat: 77.5
Bench: 47.5
Deadlift: 105
Row: 57.5
OHP: 35

Looked at the bar when i loaded up 40 on the OHP today and my brain just went..."cmon bro...you can't do this". Lol. It's weird but i definitely had a big mental block about it. So i decided to do 35kgs today and work back up. Found it fairly easy and i took the opportunity to focus on my form a lot harder. I mean it's no big deal hopefully, next Monday i'll be right back at 40 and fingers crossed, this time i'll clear it. Feel free to have a go at me though if you feel i took the easy way out Cheesy but i just felt like rather than waste another session failing at 40, deloading and going backward for 2 sessions might be more beneficial in the long term.

Pretty sure that's the protocol when doing SL5x5 right? If you fail 2 lifts in a row, deload, then 3x5 or something, right? Think you'll get 40kg next rotation no problems.

Just noticed your deadlift number is actually huge. 1.5xBW for 5 reps is a massive achievement.

Crazy strong DL
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 04, 2015, 08:28:06 PM »

Quick DB update:

4x6 42kg all unassisted.

Tentatively saying I will give you 44's a go for 6 next week, seems a lot reps.

I think its 4x4 at 46's next week for one day.

Front squats tomorrow.

Looking forward to hearing Sean's trip report of his push press. 
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 04, 2015, 10:27:53 PM »

2x6 28kg unassisted
2x6 26kg unassisted

am i winning?

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 04, 2015, 11:01:04 PM »

2x6 28kg unassisted
2x6 26kg unassisted

am i winning?

If it was more than last week, you certainly are.

Keep it up
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 05, 2015, 08:13:19 AM »

2x6 28kg unassisted
2x6 26kg unassisted

am i winning?

If it was more than last week, you certainly are.

Keep it up

It was more than last week, I had this thread in mind as I started my session & it did motivate me to push on.

sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 05, 2015, 08:59:03 AM »

today is legs & shoulders.  i had stopped doing squats & replaced with leg press however with this thread i'm going to ask the instructor to help show me how to do squats properly, before i always hurt myself & just gave up, however time to get past that. 

expect to see some super low numbers later... a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 05, 2015, 09:54:29 AM »

today is legs & shoulders.  i had stopped doing squats & replaced with leg press however with this thread i'm going to ask the instructor to help show me how to do squats properly, before i always hurt myself & just gave up, however time to get past that. 

expect to see some super low numbers later... a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Gogogo
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 05, 2015, 09:58:26 AM »

Fantastic attitude Sov!!

Good luck and keep posting. It's helping me immensely having the extra motivation from here so stick around.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 05, 2015, 11:22:58 AM »

Fantastic attitude Sov!!

Good luck and keep posting. It's helping me immensely having the extra motivation from here so stick around.

Amazing attitude. Don't be the guy that shirks the hard movements, as it WILL come back round at some point. Squats and deadlifts just have to be in nearly every program (injuries etc not included).

Plus they are the movements that transfer to life, leg press gets you big legs, but if you don't have core control, you cant actually use that power/strength properly. So literally what is the point.

Having a repeatable technique is essential, so make sure you work hard at that.
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 05, 2015, 02:44:58 PM »

Looking forward to hearing Sean's trip report of his push press. 

I showed Harvey the journal entry for this workout. Probably the most "bro" workout I've ever put together haha. Just wanted a little bit of fun tbh; I'll share deets here.

When I'm testing 1 rep max or shooting for a new PR, I start with 5 reps at 50% of the target lift, then increase by 10% every set. I take roughly 60-90 seconds rest between the warmup sets (5, 5, 3) and then 2-3 minutes rest between the singles. Not sure if there's any scientific merit to this, it's just my personal preference. I find it preps my central nervous system nicely, and I don't waste too much energy grinding out a shitload of reps.

1. BB Push Press 1RM Test
  • 5 @ 40kg
  • 5 @ 47.5kg
  • 3 @ 55kg
  • 1 @ 65kg
  • 1 @ 72.5kg
  • 1 @ 80kg

2. BB Behind-The-Neck OHP
  • 2x10 @ 40kg
  • 3x10 @ 35kg

3. BB Bicep Curls
  • 1x10 @ 20kg
  • 4x10 @ 25kg

4. Toes-To-Bar
  • 50 reps @ BW

I was a bit of a mess afterwards haha. Super happy to get an 80kg push press. I shot for 85kg afterwards and couldn't quite lock it out. I reckon if I'd have loaded 85 instead of 80 I'd have got it, but really isn't a problem. I'm not going to live or die over my OHP sessions in the weeks to come, because it doesn't count towards my overall number and also I'm pretty weak vertically so I'm just going to be happy to see some/any progress.

Arms and abs are pretty sore today, as well as my lats from pressing behind the neck, and hanging from a bar for what felt like forever! Ordinarily I'd include more volume in my workouts, but intensity was through the roof so the above was plenty!
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 05, 2015, 05:09:54 PM »

I didn't do squats this time. I coundnt get on & just stuck to the leg press.

Is using the smith machine a bad idea?

zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 05, 2015, 05:27:39 PM »

I didn't do squats this time. I coundnt get on & just stuck to the leg press.

Is using the smith machine a bad idea?

In my opinion, yes. My default if the squat racks were taken would be to hit the leg press. The smith machine takes away the need to engage your stabiliser muscles in the hips and core, and will force you to develop an unusual (unnatural) movement pattern. The leg press doesn't try to mimic the movement pattern of a squat, so while it's definitely an inferior movement and one that I would advocate as an accessory movement rather than a replacement, you won't develop "incorrect" motor functions.

If you are comfortable in your squat, then you can start adding in smith machine squats for accessory to encourage hypertrophy in the quads and glutes.
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 05, 2015, 06:03:37 PM »

Thank you.

muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 07, 2015, 01:14:37 PM »

Sup guys, can i get some advice on warm up sets?

If you were aiming to squat 5x5 at 80kg for the first time how would you approach your warm up? What sort of intensity is beneficial before warm ups will fatigue you before you've even begun your actual 5x5 stuff?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: