blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:11:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 530836 times)
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: September 28, 2015, 02:08:02 PM »

First day back after a full week off this morning and I felt fantastic. Had a great shoulder session, nothing too heavy but no twinges or pulls anywhere and raced through the session like nobody's business.

I felt really tired at 5.20am when I woke up but the coffee seems to kick in nicely by 6am to help me through. If I take nothing else from this thread the pre-training coffee thing is more than enough.

Looking forward to back training tomorrow for a chin up test.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 28, 2015, 02:11:18 PM »

Making a transition to a more volume based split. Will still be aimin for the 50s, and might still throw in some 4x4 on the DBs.

Training has been really tough lately, and a bit sporadic. But hanging in there, and still making the odd splattering of progress. So could be worse. Back up to 96kg a little quicker than I expected. So gonna curb the pizza for a bit.

When you say a 'transition' I take it you mean you're moving over slowly?

Why not just pick your new split routine and just go with it? A shock to the system could be great to kick start progress.

Sounds like you're feeling a little bit under-motivated at the moment. Any reason for it?

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 28, 2015, 08:46:36 PM »

Making a transition to a more volume based split. Will still be aimin for the 50s, and might still throw in some 4x4 on the DBs.

Training has been really tough lately, and a bit sporadic. But hanging in there, and still making the odd splattering of progress. So could be worse. Back up to 96kg a little quicker than I expected. So gonna curb the pizza for a bit.

When you say a 'transition' I take it you mean you're moving over slowly?

Why not just pick your new split routine and just go with it? A shock to the system could be great to kick start progress.

Sounds like you're feeling a little bit under-motivated at the moment. Any reason for it?

Yeah without going into too much detail my genetics, I'm getting migraines 1-2 a week so I'm down and out a lot lately. Not sure the strength stuff is helping and don't want to shock my body too much. But determined to fit training in and around. Motivation is at an all time low. But luckily the habit is embedded. So I'm still going 3-4 times a week. Brain chemistry is going mental so very tough to go all out. But very proud and pleased I'm doing something. Let's just hope the current medication can make a change. Regardless though, will still be on the thread. Gotta give you guys some competition right?
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 29, 2015, 04:26:55 PM »

Great back session today.

Managed 6, 5, 5 & 5 for chins which I was reasonably pleased with and then..........

Deadlifts...... Remember a few weeks ago I tried 60kg and gave up very quickly? Well this week I did 1 set at 40kg which is my usual deadlift weight and felt so good I jumped straight to 70kg. Had absolutely zero back or leg pain which is absolutely fantastic for me. Had a bit of a hernia type twinge which I've always had with deadlifts and is the main reason I don't do them heavily but that's all.

I did 3 x 8 at 70kg and could happily have done more but wanted to take it steady. I'm still using the rack which is at about 45cm but I don't mind that. Not sure how you guys feel about how close the bar needs to be to the floor to be classed as a proper lift? Any thoughts on that? Is there actually a standard for world record attempts? I guess there must be or you could just stick huge diameter plates on the bar and barely have to move.

Hope your head gets better soon Harvey. My old training partner used to suffer from terrible migraines and they'd leave him completely helpless. This is a guy who was back at the gym 3 days after a quadruple heart bypass so it's not like he was one to cop out given the slightest excuse.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 29, 2015, 06:11:41 PM »

Great back session today.

Managed 6, 5, 5 & 5 for chins which I was reasonably pleased with and then..........

Deadlifts...... Remember a few weeks ago I tried 60kg and gave up very quickly? Well this week I did 1 set at 40kg which is my usual deadlift weight and felt so good I jumped straight to 70kg. Had absolutely zero back or leg pain which is absolutely fantastic for me. Had a bit of a hernia type twinge which I've always had with deadlifts and is the main reason I don't do them heavily but that's all.

I did 3 x 8 at 70kg and could happily have done more but wanted to take it steady. I'm still using the rack which is at about 45cm but I don't mind that. Not sure how you guys feel about how close the bar needs to be to the floor to be classed as a proper lift? Any thoughts on that? Is there actually a standard for world record attempts? I guess there must be or you could just stick huge diameter plates on the bar and barely have to move.

Hope your head gets better soon Harvey. My old training partner used to suffer from terrible migraines and they'd leave him completely helpless. This is a guy who was back at the gym 3 days after a quadruple heart bypass so it's not like he was one to cop out given the slightest excuse.

I think what you are doing now is strictly speaking a rack pull, albeit a very low one. As far as I know for any competition lift you have to be the same level as the bar. But I'm not too sure the exact wording.

Finished my first leg session in three weeks today. Previously started and just left half way through. Pretty tired now hahah.

Yeah migraines suck, and nobody really knows how you feel cos even if you have the, they are a little bit different person to person. These attacks the last few months have been pretty brutal, so hopefully this cycle goes soon. I'm too inexperienced with them, speshly at the level, to know if I should or shouldn't train. At the minute I'm going in and not finishing. But I feel that's better for morale than not going at all.

Have you done your measurements recently Matt, I do enjoy seeing your changes.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 29, 2015, 06:40:01 PM »

From what I can gather following a bit of research the standard deadlift height is from a bar loaded with standard 20kg Ivanko plates which are 45cm diameter. I'll aim for a lower pull next week and see how it feels.

Will probably do a stats check tomorrow. It's always been on a Wednesday and it's been 3 weeks so I'm about due. I'm expecting an increase in the waist measurement unfortunately. My belt seems to be a bit tight on hole number 3 so definitely gained a bit there. I think a combination of a weekend away, increase in nuts intake and a couple of nights out have taken their toll. Plenty of time to trim down for my holiday though so no big panic just yet.

Legs day tomorrow. I was at 75kg 2 weeks ago so will be gunning for 80kg minimum.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 29, 2015, 07:41:03 PM »

From what I can gather following a bit of research the standard deadlift height is from a bar loaded with standard 20kg Ivanko plates which are 45cm diameter. I'll aim for a lower pull next week and see how it feels.

Will probably do a stats check tomorrow. It's always been on a Wednesday and it's been 3 weeks so I'm about due. I'm expecting an increase in the waist measurement unfortunately. My belt seems to be a bit tight on hole number 3 so definitely gained a bit there. I think a combination of a weekend away, increase in nuts intake and a couple of nights out have taken their toll. Plenty of time to trim down for my holiday though so no big panic just yet.

Legs day tomorrow. I was at 75kg 2 weeks ago so will be gunning for 80kg minimum.

Yeah that sounds about right deadlift wise. But who really cares. We aren't in a competition.

My legs at the minute is 3x8 followed by 2xAMRAP of two big lifts. Still very jelly.

Your squat progress is crazy though. Especially with a recovering injury. I have a holiday in a month I was thinking about dieting down for. But don't feel mentally ready to be too restrictive. Plus I haven't hit a 200kg deadlift so I will be eating everything until I do.
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 29, 2015, 08:00:31 PM »

I think what you are doing now is strictly speaking a rack pull, albeit a very low one. As far as I know for any competition lift you have to be the same level as the bar. But I'm not too sure the exact wording.

For a competition deadlift, the plates must be touching the floor and your feet must be touching the floor. Your feet can be however far apart they like as long as both of them are inside of the plates. At the top of the lift, your shoulders must be rotated back and your legs must be locked. At the bottom of the lift, your hands must be in contact with the bar when the plates touch the floor (ie no dropping.)

So basically any sort of rack pull or deficit is illegal in competition format, but both are or at least should be encouraged in training.

As a progression for the deadlift though Matt, I'd recommend that once you can lift a plate on each side for 2x10-15, you start lowering the movement before you start increasing the weight. The deadlift should not be the cause of any back problems (in fact, it should be a back fix) assuming that flexibility is good and glutes are strong and healthy. So obviously what we're working on with is increasing your flexibility through the range of motion and making sure your glutes fire correctly as we do so.

All this talk of deadlifts boys. I can only take so much. Tomorrow morning I'm off for a 1RM session. I'll post the whole workout in here afterwards. Smiley
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 29, 2015, 09:53:33 PM »

As a progression for the deadlift though Matt, I'd recommend that once you can lift a plate on each side for 2x10-15, you start lowering the movement before you start increasing the weight. The deadlift should not be the cause of any back problems (in fact, it should be a back fix) assuming that flexibility is good and glutes are strong and healthy. So obviously what we're working on with is increasing your flexibility through the range of motion and making sure your glutes fire correctly as we do so.

All this talk of deadlifts boys. I can only take so much. Tomorrow morning I'm off for a 1RM session. I'll post the whole workout in here afterwards. Smiley

Great advice and I'm going to follow it. Think I'll use a step so that I can alter the distance gradually and just stick to 60kg.

Have fun tomorrow Smiley

muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 30, 2015, 01:30:33 AM »

Also speaking of deadlifts Cheesy i'll be shooting for 5 reps of 110kg tomorrow.
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 30, 2015, 01:52:58 PM »

1. Deadlift 1RM Test
  • 5x 60kg
  • 5x 100kg
  • 3x 140kg
  • 1x 160kg
  • 1x 180kg
  • 0x 200kg (FAIL Sad)
  • 1x 140kg
  • 5x 100kg
  • 10x 60kg

2. Pull-ups 4x3

3. DB Rows 4x12

4. Face Pulls 4x10

Normally finish here with some core stuff, but gave it a miss today because I was shattered from the one rep stuff and morale was kinda dented from failing at a 200. Was so strong the other day, too. Should have just gone for it then!! Nevermind, I'll 100% get it before year end.
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 30, 2015, 03:39:17 PM »

Also speaking of deadlifts Cheesy i'll be shooting for 5 reps of 110kg tomorrow.

Great success! Felt like i was losing my grip towards the end though, any tips?

Quick numbers update:

Squat: 80
Bench: 52.5
Deadlift: 110
Row: 62.5
OHP: 42.5

Annoyingly i've injured my leg so haven't squatted in 2 weeks. Can't bend my knee or certainly put any weight on it without feeling a twinge. See someone about it?

And yeah, i am taking benching super slow. Out of all the movements i really feel the least comfortable with that one.
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 04, 2015, 01:00:54 PM »

Great success! Felt like i was losing my grip towards the end though, any tips?

Quick numbers update:

Squat: 80
Bench: 52.5
Deadlift: 110
Row: 62.5
OHP: 42.5

Annoyingly i've injured my leg so haven't squatted in 2 weeks. Can't bend my knee or certainly put any weight on it without feeling a twinge. See someone about it?

And yeah, i am taking benching super slow. Out of all the movements i really feel the least comfortable with that one.

Yeh, two weeks is about as long as I would leave something to heal by itself before going to the GP (maybe sooner if it was something that meant I couldn't squat!)

Tips on increasing your grip when deadlifting? The best way would be to just keep deadlifting! There are lots of little things you can do to increase your grip, and all of them involve holding on to some sort of weight. Hang from a pull-up bar for as long as you can, hold a deadlift at the top for as long as you can, carry some heavy weights around (see "Farmer's Carry") until your grip fails, you can even do little wrist curls with some light dumbbells.

When I do 1 reps, I don't mind chalk or switch-grip (one overhand, one underhand), but during normal training for reps I try to do as much double-over grip as I can, and use a towel to dry my hands between sets rather than reaching for the chalk. Just something else to think about. Smiley
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 05, 2015, 11:36:08 PM »

I a bit of an issue last week following my reasonable deadlift effort. I woke up that night with really bad cramp in my calf that locked my foot out in the extended position and took ages to ease back to normal. Wasn't very pleasant at all so I decided to skip legs then ended up missing chest as well.

Anyway I was back on it this morning for shoulders and felt really good and very strong. Back session tomorrow but I don't know what I'll do about deadlifts. Might just give them a miss but I'll see how I feel. The main thing is to avoid injury, I can't miss another squat session as I'm now in danger of not hitting my 100kg target by mid November.

Had a measure on Wednesday so I'll post the stats when I can find the piece of paper I wrote them on. Everything was as expected but I need to keep a close eye on the waist. Don't want to go backwards on that at all.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 05, 2015, 11:40:25 PM »

1. Deadlift 1RM Test
  • 5x 60kg
  • 5x 100kg
  • 3x 140kg
  • 1x 160kg
  • 1x 180kg
  • 0x 200kg (FAIL Sad)
  • 1x 140kg
  • 5x 100kg
  • 10x 60kg

2. Pull-ups 4x3

3. DB Rows 4x12

4. Face Pulls 4x10

Normally finish here with some core stuff, but gave it a miss today because I was shattered from the one rep stuff and morale was kinda dented from failing at a 200. Was so strong the other day, too. Should have just gone for it then!! Nevermind, I'll 100% get it before year end.

Do you think you could have managed the 200kg if you skipped the 160 and 180 sets?

Crazy heavy weights you're pulling there mate. Are you getting a lot bigger with all this lifting? How much weight have you gained since getting in to the heavy lifts?

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: