blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:19:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272483 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 530891 times)
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: October 05, 2015, 11:50:36 PM »

Also speaking of deadlifts Cheesy i'll be shooting for 5 reps of 110kg tomorrow.

Great success! Felt like i was losing my grip towards the end though, any tips?

Quick numbers update:

Squat: 80
Bench: 52.5
Deadlift: 110
Row: 62.5
OHP: 42.5

Annoyingly i've injured my leg so haven't squatted in 2 weeks. Can't bend my knee or certainly put any weight on it without feeling a twinge. See someone about it?

And yeah, i am taking benching super slow. Out of all the movements i really feel the least comfortable with that one.

Awesome effort with the 110kg there.

Best tip I could give regarding he grip is just to stick at it really. Whatever you do don't give up and start using straps because then your grip will never catch up with everything else.

Just hang on that little bit harder and slowly your grip will get better along with everything else.

One thing you could try is the thumb free grip if that makes sense. I find it works much better for me as wrapping my thumb around the bar tends to put a strain on my thumb. Rather than wrapping my whole hand round the bar and making a fist I just use the fingers and keep the thumbs out of the way. If you make a fist now while your sat there and squeeze really hard you may feel a strain towards the top of your thumb, you're having to do work to hold it there. Release the thumb and that pressure goes but you're still gripping just as tight with your fingers. Might be worth a try.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 06, 2015, 12:41:55 PM »

1. Deadlift 1RM Test
  • 5x 60kg
  • 5x 100kg
  • 3x 140kg
  • 1x 160kg
  • 1x 180kg
  • 0x 200kg (FAIL Sad)
  • 1x 140kg
  • 5x 100kg
  • 10x 60kg

2. Pull-ups 4x3

3. DB Rows 4x12

4. Face Pulls 4x10

Normally finish here with some core stuff, but gave it a miss today because I was shattered from the one rep stuff and morale was kinda dented from failing at a 200. Was so strong the other day, too. Should have just gone for it then!! Nevermind, I'll 100% get it before year end.

Do you think you could have managed the 200kg if you skipped the 160 and 180 sets?

Crazy heavy weights you're pulling there mate. Are you getting a lot bigger with all this lifting? How much weight have you gained since getting in to the heavy lifts?

Almost 0% chance I'm getting 200kg off the floor cold. The sets prior to that are just additional warmups really, to get the motor units all firing together. I take about 3 minutes rest between sets of 1.

Getting a bit bigger and putting on some steady weight. Since I stopped dieting l've gained about 4-5kg. Diet wasn't exactly on point for a few weeks but eating much better/stricter now
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 06, 2015, 11:23:56 PM »

Decent back session today and really starting to feel strong on the chin ups.

Managed 2 x 6 and 2 x 5 for wide grip and then 4 x 5 narrow grip. I have a feeling I'll be at double figures by my mid November target date for everything else I'm doing so going to push for that.

Legs day tomorrow and really looking forward to getting back on the squat rack. 80kg target........ Watch this space......

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 07, 2015, 08:52:13 AM »

Good legs session this morning and the squats are coming along nicely.

1 x 12 @ 20kg
1 x 8 @ 50kg
1 x 8 @ 80kg
2 x 8 @ 90kg

Wasn't expecting to be at 90kg just yet but I felt good so thought I'd give it a go and it was absolutely fine. No nasty pulls or any untoward feelings anywhere so it appears that my injuries may be almost behind me for now.

I made sure I stretched well before, during and after the squats and that definitely helps.

Super confident of hitting the 100kg target now in the next few weeks so I'm really happy about that.

Chest tomorrow to give those dumbbells a blast. Not expecting any fireworks but would be nice to hit 40kg for a few reps. I'm going to go back to the 8 rep target for those from now on the same as I did before when I aimed for the 50s. It'll take longer to get there but I really can't get in to the low rep stuff. Just doesn't seem to suit me at all and I just don't enjoy it.

zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 07, 2015, 02:30:39 PM »

Yeh matt looks like youre just going to progress using a different path. Harvey and I looking to increase weight for 3-5 reps and then increase reps at 50kg. You looking to slowly increase weight at the 8 rep range. Both seem fine.

Really nice squat numbers btw. Crushing bud.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 07, 2015, 07:46:40 PM »

Matt please slow down on squats or you're gonna crush my ego. That's seriously impressive progress.

Just a quick one to let everyone know I'm still here and really enjoying training. Laptop has still died and I'm too lazy to get it fixed but still reading. Will try more posts but iPad typing is killing me.

Strength up and looking for a good 8 weeks of strength/hyper trophy before we diet again. Using 8 rep ranges. So nothing. Spectacular with numbers. Had 107.5 for 3x8 squats. Going for 3x8 44kg DB and the. 3x8 150kg for deads on Friday.

Food is waaaaay better and mentally in a better place with it.

Even contemplating brining cardio in for a day.

Updates from everyone else?
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 10, 2015, 09:45:24 AM »

Threw in a quick session last night. Training is still all over the show. Did 4 hours of circuit training on my course on wednesday and another 4 on monday. Absolutely battered me.

Anyways i felt like an upper body session. Thought i'd give me next program a quick trial run. Swings, bench, rows, ohp, pull-ups all 5x5 then some external rotations and a plank. Got 40kg db bench for 3x5 which im happy with. Cant remember the last time i picked up the dumbbells for a bench session
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 12, 2015, 08:54:30 PM »

Struggling with 45kg on the OHP and 55kg on the bench press. I think the reason may be down to muscular imbalance. My PT noticed that my left side would bring the bar up quicker than my right, possibly because that side is weaker and i'm pushing that one through knowing my right will be able to catch up. At this point I'm going to solely use dumbbells for those two movements for a month or so. I'm not sure if the barbell is doing me any long term favours at the moment. 

Knee is still out of action so haven't squatted in close to a month. Deadlifts are going well though and I did 5 115kg reps today. Weighed in at 71.9kg at the end of my session. 77kg by 31st December 2015?
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 12, 2015, 09:12:39 PM »

Struggling with 45kg on the OHP and 55kg on the bench press. I think the reason may be down to muscular imbalance. My PT noticed that my left side would bring the bar up quicker than my right, possibly because that side is weaker and i'm pushing that one through knowing my right will be able to catch up. At this point I'm going to solely use dumbbells for those two movements for a month or so. I'm not sure if the barbell is doing me any long term favours at the moment. 

Knee is still out of action so haven't squatted in close to a month. Deadlifts are going well though and I did 5 115kg reps today. Weighed in at 71.9kg at the end of my session. 77kg by 31st December 2015?

Putting out some good numbers there mtn, quite a bit of progress from your starting stacks.
Probs good idea to use dumb bells, give the muscles a new challenge
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 12, 2015, 10:09:57 PM »

Putting out some good numbers there mtn, quite a bit of progress from your starting stacks.
Probs good idea to use dumb bells, give the muscles a new challenge

Agree with this. As long as you're making steady progress with your lifts then there's no real reason to switch things up, but it looks as though your press and bench have both been a little stagnant so yeh I like the idea of whipping out the dumbbells. Make sure you're staying mobile, stretching, foam rolling and so on, keep everything limber. You're crushing at the minute bud, keep going
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 12, 2015, 11:37:41 PM »

Chest wasn't particularly impressive on Thursday and I was aching like hell for two days afterwards. Managed 4 x 8 @ 30kg for the dumbells but the shoulders were absolutely killing. Hopefully that'll improve over the next few weeks.

Decents shoulders session today and looking forward to back tomorrow. Going to really push for 8 reps on the chin ups even it means sacrificing a few reps on the next 3 sets.

I've not got too long to my holiday now so I'm starting the big push for the run in. I fly 5 weeks today so it's decent diet and plenty of training time. I really want to hit 34" waist by then but I can't see it happening unless I do something silly with my diet and that's just not worth it. I'll settle for whatever my best happens to be.

I've noticed I'm a bit weak in the lower pecs at the moment. I've got my own ideas of how to improve on that but would be interested in what you guys think? Shoulder development is going well as is upper chest but lower chest is looking really weak and out of balance. Any tips before I start out on my own little plan?

Thanks for the positive feedback on the squats guys. I was happy with my progress but the compliments have given me a real boost. Really means a lot to get that kind of encouragement from good squatters. Not sure how far I'm going to go with them but I fancy having a bit of a push.....

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 14, 2015, 12:39:32 PM »

No training for me yesterday as I felt a bit sore from physio on Monday.

Trained back this morning and managed 8, 6, 6, 4 for wide grip chins which I was pleased with. Hoping for double figures soon.

I've gone with Sean's suggestion on the deadlifts of sticking light but going for full range of motion. Managed 4 x 8 @ 60kg very comfortably which again I was really pleased with. The injury seems pretty much gone now so a few more weeks and I may start seeing some reasonable numbers. There's no way I'll aim for 1RM figures so I won't be getting near anybody else but I'd like to aim for 4 x 8 at body weight and then take it from there.

muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 14, 2015, 11:10:34 PM »

If using dumbbells what sort of reps/sets/rest is ideal for a focus on increasing strength and ironing out a muscular imbalance? Would you suggest sticking roughly to the principles behind 5x5?

Sports massage booked for tomorrow. Can't decide if i'm looking forward to it or not Cheesy
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 15, 2015, 10:30:05 PM »

If using dumbbells what sort of reps/sets/rest is ideal for a focus on increasing strength and ironing out a muscular imbalance? Would you suggest sticking roughly to the principles behind 5x5?

Sports massage booked for tomorrow. Can't decide if i'm looking forward to it or not Cheesy

Yeh 5x5 with 2-3 minutes rest would be fine (or similar, like 4x6 would be fine too)

How long's your massage? Can't wait for the trip report. Cheesy
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 16, 2015, 12:25:14 PM »

Remember seeing something about grip a while back.

Hanging (single and double handed)
One arm rows
Chalk
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: