blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:04:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 530769 times)
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: December 11, 2015, 01:06:43 PM »

Beast mode Sean and Matt, well done.

Warm up wise i jog to my gym which takes 5-6 minutes. I've started having one glass of Lucozade before as well. Seems to really give me a boost after a long day of work and is a little daily sugary treat to motivate me to keep the rest of my bulking diet as healthy as possible.

I weighed 75.5kg yesterday. Pretty pleased with that.

Talk to Harvey about his Skittles...
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 13, 2015, 04:04:27 PM »

Beast mode Sean and Matt, well done.

Warm up wise i jog to my gym which takes 5-6 minutes. I've started having one glass of Lucozade before as well. Seems to really give me a boost after a long day of work and is a little daily sugary treat to motivate me to keep the rest of my bulking diet as healthy as possible.

I weighed 75.5kg yesterday. Pretty pleased with that.

Talk to Harvey about his Skittles...

Who mentioned skittles? Legit have 40g a day on my diets. Went to a nutrition seminar by Martin MacDonald yesterday, never knew there was so much to know about it. I thought it was important before, but now. Mind blowing stuff.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 13, 2015, 04:07:15 PM »

Training is looking like:

3x3

5x5

3x8

3x8

4x10
S.S.
4x10

4x10
S.S.
4x10

First week and really enjoyed it. Our gym has had a refurb so may tweak the exercises. Eating around 3000kcals, maybe a touch low, but on holiday in Jan, so thought I would go a little lower to start with up until Jan, then around the 2800-3000 up until April, then drop lower for April, but we shall see.
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 16, 2015, 01:22:46 PM »

I'm still having a jolly up at the gym on 48 sets on weights day which I have every other day. 3 days a week with a rest day. The other 3 is leg body weight stuff and intensive cardio.

Seeing results. Measured my waist a few times today and it's at around 36-37 which is the lowest I probs have had it as an adult but deffo could get to 34 by the looks of things.

Evilpie you said you were 6'4? Did you say you got your waist down to 32? That's mind blowing to me and I wonder if that is where I'm headed.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 16, 2015, 01:28:46 PM »

I'm still having a jolly up at the gym on 48 sets on weights day which I have every other day. 3 days a week with a rest day. The other 3 is leg body weight stuff and intensive cardio.

Seeing results. Measured my waist a few times today and it's at around 36-37 which is the lowest I probs have had it as an adult but deffo could get to 34 by the looks of things.

Evilpie you said you were 6'4? Did you say you got your waist down to 32? That's mind blowing to me and I wonder if that is where I'm headed.

Waist size is down to genetics at some point, i would say Matt has pretty good genetics to hit a 32 at his size. I know of fitness models that have 28, obviously very handy for photos as it blows your shoulders up. Wouldn't worry too much about waist until your 4-5 years into training as you wont know if its genetics or not until then. Just follow the process. If you are process orientated in terms of getting stronger/fitter/faster everything else kind of falls into place. I know of people that starve themselves to get to 30 waist and then look shit because they have lost all their performance/muscle.
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 16, 2015, 03:12:22 PM »

Waist size is down to genetics at some point, i would say Matt has pretty good genetics to hit a 32 at his size. I know of fitness models that have 28, obviously very handy for photos as it blows your shoulders up. Wouldn't worry too much about waist until your 4-5 years into training as you wont know if its genetics or not until then. Just follow the process. If you are process orientated in terms of getting stronger/fitter/faster everything else kind of falls into place. I know of people that starve themselves to get to 30 waist and then look shit because they have lost all their performance/muscle.

Nice one for the heads up.

I'm not goal orientated by waist size but would use it as an indicator. Thank you for the knowledge of I might have to wait years to see my "true" size.

I'm following the process, feeling great, staying injury free (for now), working hard and really enjoying it.

Got a lovely routine going. Far cry from what I used to be like and I'm grateful for the way things are now. Love it.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 16, 2015, 03:29:23 PM »

Probably closer to 33" but there was 32 involved.....

I was at about 16st 10lb at the time as well so ridiculously lean. For a bit of perspective I'm currently at 35" and around a stone and a half lighter. I'd be really happy with 34" but that last bit is really difficult.

My training regime was vastly different to yours which would have made a big difference. 48 sets seems crazy to me. I was doing 16 working sets per session 5 times a week on a split routine of chest, back, shoulders, legs and arms. At the intensity level I was doing it would be impossible to do many more sets. 48 sets suggests that you're maybe not maximising the work on each set. As you're training 6 times a week could you perhaps do half and half with your weights and cardio stuff?

Obviously stick with what you're doing for now and see how it goes but maybe make a change if the results slow down.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 16, 2015, 05:32:48 PM »

Probably closer to 33" but there was 32 involved.....

I was at about 16st 10lb at the time as well so ridiculously lean. For a bit of perspective I'm currently at 35" and around a stone and a half lighter. I'd be really happy with 34" but that last bit is really difficult.

My training regime was vastly different to yours which would have made a big difference. 48 sets seems crazy to me. I was doing 16 working sets per session 5 times a week on a split routine of chest, back, shoulders, legs and arms. At the intensity level I was doing it would be impossible to do many more sets. 48 sets suggests that you're maybe not maximising the work on each set. As you're training 6 times a week could you perhaps do half and half with your weights and cardio stuff?

Obviously stick with what you're doing for now and see how it goes but maybe make a change if the results slow down.

I was gonna comment on 48 sets, buuuut when I first started I probably did the same, I think as you get better at the movement you naturally use more energy and increase efficiency so you do less. Whereas if I had my time again I would focus more on movement mastery, I don't think its the worst plan to just do so much of the movement to get better at it. No matter how much people do before they come to see me we spend around 6 months re coaching it and learning it.

I guess the problem comes post 6-12 months of training when the honeymoon period is over and you have to actually understand what to do to progress.
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 18, 2015, 03:09:03 PM »

I'm all of a sudden wary that I have maybe come across as a bit of a maverick thinking I know better than conventional wisdom on gym training but that wasn't my intention. Just ignorance really.

I remember Zerofive advising me on a routine I maybe should do but I got confused by his labelling of compound movements and did not know the exact routine to follow, so thought I would stick with my plan.

I reduced 60 sets to 48 recently, but as I go in today I'm halving that or maybe getting to 30.

All I would like is to cover all my upper body Inc abs and lower back into one days weight session doing as little sets as possible. However I thought that to be impossible and thus my madman routine.

I don't really want to do different parts of the upper body on certain days, would love it all to fit into one day, to go again a couple of days later. That may well be an incorrect philosophy. It became all the more confusing because the results i have been getting are awesome.

I have a dodgy knee so I can't do a decent amount of the bigger bar work so have stuck to dumbbells. I can bench press though. I am going to study it all more tomorrow and have a routine set for you guys to approve/disapprove.

I wouldn't mind an answer to if you could feasibly cover your whole upper body in a day though but realise I'm a taxing mofo, so you may ignore me 😊
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 19, 2015, 04:06:12 PM »

I wouldn't mind an answer to if you could feasibly cover your whole upper body in a day though but realise I'm a taxing mofo, so you may ignore me 😊

Of course you can Smiley

The more of the body we cover in one workout, the less specific we have to be. It's feasible to do a full body workout in one session if we strip the whole thing down into raw compounds.

I recently posted my squats/deadlifts/upper routine that I'm following at the moment. The upper day basically covers bentover row for horizontal pull, bench press for horizontal push, pull-ups for vertical pull, and overhead press for vertical push. Boom, we've got an upper body workout in four movements. If you have a lagging body part, or posture problems etc. then you can extend this workout to cover it. For example if you have a touch of kyphosis, you might want to throw in some face pulls as well.

When you split your upper body workout into two parts, then you can start being more specific with your weak points, but if you're looking for a way to hammer your upper body, pick some big compounds and keep lifting until you can't pick the weight up any more. Cheesy
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 19, 2015, 04:34:16 PM »

"pick some big compounds and keep lifting until you can't pick the weight up any more. Cheesy "

Can't go far wrong with this summary.

Bent over row, pull ups, bench press and over head press looks like a brutal combo. I'm even slightly tempted to give it a go myself at some point.

What do you think to doing this routine Monday and Wednesday and then perhaps legs Tuesday, arms Thursday?

I'm not currently doing anything for arms as I can't squeeze them in to my week. If I pull chest, back and shoulders in from three days to two then I have that extra day to work those guns. The alternative is of course to have two days upper body and two days lower......

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 19, 2015, 08:11:20 PM »

Some tough sessions this week, due to Xmas and NY I got 6 sessions in, as I cant only 3 next week and the week after.

Hit some serious momentum which culminated in a relatively easy 170kg dead for three.

Somehow have to get 3x3 130kg squats next week, not entirely sure how that is gonna work.

@Ant, I wasn't having a go, I did exactly the same. If I had my time again I probably would do the same again. I was trying to say don't get upset when volume drops, its just because you are doing it better.

Going on a gymnastic hype at the minute, my aim next year is a 230 deadlift for one followed by a back flip.

so for three years I have wanted to be as big and strong as possible, now I want to get to 80kg again as quick as possible. Obviously won't be quick because I want to progress my strength so I need to be patient. But hopefully gymnastics will be a big part of my routines going forward. I am 96kg with less flexibility than a hippo. So it is going to be a huge change.
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 19, 2015, 09:31:04 PM »

"pick some big compounds and keep lifting until you can't pick the weight up any more. Cheesy "

Can't go far wrong with this summary.

Bent over row, pull ups, bench press and over head press looks like a brutal combo. I'm even slightly tempted to give it a go myself at some point.

What do you think to doing this routine Monday and Wednesday and then perhaps legs Tuesday, arms Thursday?

I'm not currently doing anything for arms as I can't squeeze them in to my week. If I pull chest, back and shoulders in from three days to two then I have that extra day to work those guns. The alternative is of course to have two days upper body and two days lower......

If I was going to schedule an arm day into a 4-day split, I'd probably do back & traps / chest & shoulders / legs / arms. Me being me though, I'd still go for compound arm movements. Close-grip bench, chin-ups, and dips would be in there.

There's no reason upper/legs/upper/arms wouldn't work tho, if you very specifically want massive sleeves. Give it and go and see how you get on. Smiley
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 19, 2015, 09:45:08 PM »

Some tough sessions this week, due to Xmas and NY I got 6 sessions in, as I cant only 3 next week and the week after.

Hit some serious momentum which culminated in a relatively easy 170kg dead for three.

Somehow have to get 3x3 130kg squats next week, not entirely sure how that is gonna work.

@Ant, I wasn't having a go, I did exactly the same. If I had my time again I probably would do the same again. I was trying to say don't get upset when volume drops, its just because you are doing it better.

Going on a gymnastic hype at the minute, my aim next year is a 230 deadlift for one followed by a back flip.

so for three years I have wanted to be as big and strong as possible, now I want to get to 80kg again as quick as possible. Obviously won't be quick because I want to progress my strength so I need to be patient. But hopefully gymnastics will be a big part of my routines going forward. I am 96kg with less flexibility than a hippo. So it is going to be a huge change.

I swear we share a brain Harvey. If we look at how our path has changed over the last couple of years, they would have very very similar ups and downs. I'm on the pilates hype as well as the athletic stuff right now. Getting strong is second on the list now behind getting supple. Never imagined it would ever matter to me, but when you look at the strongest guys and the most aesthetic guys, they have one thing in common: they are all very flexible.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 20, 2015, 03:30:59 PM »

Flexibility has become a really big thing for me since my back went pop. I do a 25 minute stretching session most evenings now and it seems to have really helped my lower back. I get the odd muscle pull same as anyone who trains but my lower back has been great.

I was very inflexible for a long time but now I can easily touch my toes with straight legs and I'm working towards getting my forehead to my knees.

The other challenge I've set myself which I mentioned recently is actually to try to do the splits. I'm nowhere near at the moment but I'm not in a rush so I'll just keep working at it. First couple of weeks I think I pushed a bit too far and ended up needing a few days off but I'll be back on it tonight for the first time in nearly a week.

It's going to be a bit difficult the next few weeks with Christmas and new year so I think I'll go for that whole upper body routine. At least that way nothing gets completely missed if I miss the odd day here and there.

So it's weights in the morning then stretching in the evening alongside my splits and press up challenges. It's starting to get a bit time consuming so I can't really squeeze anything else in and still maintain a life so this will be it for now.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: