blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:06:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 530859 times)
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: January 03, 2016, 02:49:37 PM »

Yeah probably about 3000, but dont quote me, I can work it all out tomorrow if you want? But pretty confident 2500 is a deficit.

Looks good progress, like the way you have set things out.

Looks to me like it is just a matter of time. Keep it up

I have just set things out how i did 15 years ago.  Only difference now is i don't have any basketball games to play inbetween the training.  The routine/splits/supplements are identical.  I am not a huge believer in all these modern day training techniques tbh.  Stick to the basics imo. 

Yeah would probably agree. Big lifts are big lifts. I think the quality and safety of supplements are probably better now. But all the stuff on Bosu balls and vibrating plates etc doesn't make too much sense.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 03, 2016, 04:56:48 PM »

Yeah probably about 3000, but dont quote me, I can work it all out tomorrow if you want? But pretty confident 2500 is a deficit.

I have just set things out how i did 15 years ago.  Only difference now is i don't have any basketball games to play inbetween the training.  The routine/splits/supplements are identical.  I am not a huge believer in all these modern day training techniques tbh.  Stick to the basics imo.  

Yeah would probably agree. Big lifts are big lifts. I think the quality and safety of supplements are probably better now. But all the stuff on Bosu balls and vibrating plates etc doesn't make too much sense.

Power plates are great for stretching your legs after a heavy leg work out.  Wish they were around 20 years ago.  I do a 3 min rotating stretch on them after a leg work out.  30 seconds calf raises, 30 secs hamstrings stretches and 30 sec held 90 degree deep squad x 2 sets.  Incredible how much it loosens up your legs after they feel dead and tired.  Sometimes after the 3 minute warm down i feel so fresh i could do the leg workout again.  They are amazing bits of kit for recovery i think.  You literally piss with sweat doing it as well unlike any form of cardio over 3 minutes as well.  Must burn some serious calories i reckon for 3 minutes.  Just feels like it shakes all the lactic acid out of your legs.

Highly recommend as a warm down/stretch after a heavy leg work out if you haven't tried it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 05:05:55 PM by arbboy » Logged
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 03, 2016, 06:18:48 PM »

I have just set things out how i did 15 years ago.  Only difference now is i don't have any basketball games to play inbetween the training.  The routine/splits/supplements are identical.  I am not a huge believer in all these modern day training techniques tbh.  Stick to the basics imo.  

Power plates are great for stretching your legs after a heavy leg work out.  Wish they were around 20 years ago.  I do a 3 min rotating stretch on them after a leg work out.  30 seconds calf raises, 30 secs hamstrings stretches and 30 sec held 90 degree deep squad x 2 sets.  Incredible how much it loosens up your legs after they feel dead and tired.  Sometimes after the 3 minute warm down i feel so fresh i could do the leg workout again.  They are amazing bits of kit for recovery i think.  You literally piss with sweat doing it as well unlike any form of cardio over 3 minutes as well.  Must burn some serious calories i reckon for 3 minutes.  Just feels like it shakes all the lactic acid out of your legs.

Highly recommend as a warm down/stretch after a heavy leg work out if you haven't tried it.

I don' think anything can burn enough kcals in three mins to be called as 'worth it'. But if it helps you recover, it is obviously a must. Or you aren't training hard enough, trololol.

Huge fan of dynamic warm ups and cool downs though. I am undecided what ratio benefit it has in terms of physiological to psychological but for me personally it is a must.

I think anything that helps recovery is always worth it. My recovery is annoyingly poor at the minute. Although I assume it is mental.   
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 03, 2016, 06:23:58 PM »

I don' think anything can burn enough kcals in three mins to be called as 'worth it'. But if it helps you recover, it is obviously a must. Or you aren't training hard enough, trololol.

Huge fan of dynamic warm ups and cool downs though. I am undecided what ratio benefit it has in terms of physiological to psychological but for me personally it is a must.

I think anything that helps recovery is always worth it. My recovery is annoyingly poor at the minute. Although I assume it is mental.   

As you get older, no idea how old you are, recovery is more and more important in order for you to train hard.  Training is the easy bit imo. 45 mins bang out a session in the gym.  No different to when you are 20.  Treating your recovery more seriously helps you no end.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 03, 2016, 07:06:26 PM »

Recovery is key, for sure it gets harder as you get older. So you have to be more savvy in how/when you train.

I am 24 so I shouldn't be worrying about that yet, but entering my 4th year of training, the progress is becoming much less linear, so recovery is becoming more important.

I think recovery is the hidden gem. i know lifting the weight well is important. But what defines most people, in my opinion, is their ability to recover.

Really looking forward to seeing your progress, as you seem to be going about it in a good way. I will work out macros for you if you want, totally forgot to do it the other day.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 03, 2016, 07:13:05 PM »

Recovery is key, for sure it gets harder as you get older. So you have to be more savvy in how/when you train.

I am 24 so I shouldn't be worrying about that yet, but entering my 4th year of training, the progress is becoming much less linear, so recovery is becoming more important.

I think recovery is the hidden gem. i know lifting the weight well is important. But what defines most people, in my opinion, is their ability to recover.

Really looking forward to seeing your progress, as you seem to be going about it in a good way. I will work out macros for you if you want, totally forgot to do it the other day.

I am going to spend the first 6 weeks this year until mid Feb just eating sensibly within 2500 cals every day without focusing too much on the breakdown of the protein/carbs/fat etc.  I don't want to overload the start too much and lose motivation.  I want to build back a decent level of core strength and see where i am there.  I don't want to feel tired etc and lose motivation to train in the early stages.  This has been the key let down before several times trying to do too much too soon.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 03, 2016, 07:39:02 PM »

Looking very positive for you Arbboy. Main thing is just to get to the gym and have a decent diet most of the time. I'd seriously consider giving yourself a cheat day as well. It's worked brilliantly for me eating really well 5 or 6 days a week, having beer and curry on Thursday night and then going nuts on the occasional Friday or Saturday.

You can't fix a crappy diet by eating salad one day a week and you also can't mess up a good diet by eating a kebab one day a week.

Treat yourself if you need to and don't feel guilty about it. Believe me it makes it much easier.

Looks like you'll be following a fairly similar plan to myself so definitely going to follow your progress. Your previous numbers also look very similar to mine albeit at slightly fewer reps but also more than a stone lighter. Very impressive.

I guess that as we're the same age we're also going to have the same physical issues with recovery. I can't stress enough how important the stretching is but you seem to have that anyway.

Good luck.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 03, 2016, 07:45:50 PM »

Looking very positive for you Arbboy. Main thing is just to get to the gym and have a decent diet most of the time. I'd seriously consider giving yourself a cheat day as well. It's worked brilliantly for me eating really well 5 or 6 days a week, having beer and curry on Thursday night and then going nuts on the occasional Friday or Saturday.

You can't fix a crappy diet by eating salad one day a week and you also can't mess up a good diet by eating a kebab one day a week.

Treat yourself if you need to and don't feel guilty about it. Believe me it makes it much easier.

Looks like you'll be following a fairly similar plan to myself so definitely going to follow your progress. Your previous numbers also look very similar to mine albeit at slightly fewer reps but also more than a stone lighter. Very impressive.

I guess that as we're the same age we're also going to have the same physical issues with recovery. I can't stress enough how important the stretching is but you seem to have that anyway.

Good luck.

Cheat days are not a problem (i had a mini one at dtd last weekend)!  I have tried to build one in similar to your curry night although it won't be as rigid as that every week.  

Stretching has always been one of my strong points even at my fattest i could easily touch my toes with straight legs.  In prime i could nearly get my elbows on the floor leaning down with straight legs.  I never had a soft tissue injury in 12 years of playing serious sport and i put that down to my previous lifting/stretching regime which worked really well for me and definitely was worth the investment of time.  I don't think it is possible for it to be luck over 12 years.  I used to do a full stretch before every basketball training session back in the day so i have always been flexible.  The last 10 years has just been a total lack of motivation to train after doing it so seriously between 17 and 28.  I got the following mindset 'fit in my 20's, fat in my 30s and fit in my 40's' to motivate me which pretty much sums up my life.  I feel like i wasted 10 good years which is annoying but when you look at Mark Felix on WSM he is 49 and still insane.  Plenty of time left to make up for a wasted decade.

Do my previous numbers indicate a relatively weak chest/shoulders compared to other numbers?  Or are they pretty in line? 
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 03, 2016, 07:47:54 PM »

The whole Christmas and new year thing has been terrible for me with regard to training. Think I've managed to get to the gym about 3 times in total since I finished work on the 18th. I've done my stretching routine a few times in the evenings and also 3 press up sessions but that's the lot.

Diet hasn't been too bad considering the time of year and my belt is still on the same hole it was before so that's good at least.

This last week has been really bad. Monday I went out and got insanely drunk, Tuesday I recovered, Wednesday I picked up a cold and felt awful....... that continued through to tonight and I think I'm recovered enough to get up at 5.30am tomorrow and get back on it. Perfect timing... recover just in time to get back to work Cheesy

Going to do a stretching session and a few press ups tonight as well seeing as I'm feeling decent.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 03, 2016, 07:58:39 PM »

Have to admit Eso losing two stone tilted me into action a bit as well.  Cheers for the motivation son.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 03, 2016, 08:00:47 PM »

Do my previous numbers indicate a relatively weak chest/shoulders compared to other numbers?  Or are they pretty in line? 

I'd rather view it as having relatively strong legs/back compared to other numbers. Your chest and shoulder numbers certainly aren't weak so I don't think that word deserves to be thrown in the mix.

Bench you're exactly the same as me but for 6 compared to my 8 reps. I never classed myself as particularly strong on bench so maybe we were both a bit weak.....

Dumbbells you're the same as me but I could get maybe 12 or 14 reps out. There was nothing heavier than 50kg at my old gym.

Your shoulder press is maybe a touch low but that's not a bad thing. It's such an unnatural movement in my opinion and working to failure on it is asking for trouble. I could do 100kg but I always classed my shoulders as being really strong. Maybe that's why they're now f**ked......

So you were doing similar to me at a similar age but carrying a lot less weight. Like I said..... Doesn't sound weak to me.....

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 03, 2016, 08:06:13 PM »

I'd rather view it as having relatively strong legs/back compared to other numbers. Your chest and shoulder numbers certainly aren't weak so I don't think that word deserves to be thrown in the mix.

Bench you're exactly the same as me but for 6 compared to my 8 reps. I never classed myself as particularly strong on bench so maybe we were both a bit weak.....

Dumbbells you're the same as me but I could get maybe 12 or 14 reps out. There was nothing heavier than 50kg at my old gym.

Your shoulder press is maybe a touch low but that's not a bad thing. It's such an unnatural movement in my opinion and working to failure on it is asking for trouble. I could do 100kg but I always classed my shoulders as being really strong. Maybe that's why they're now f**ked......

So you were doing similar to me at a similar age but carrying a lot less weight. Like I said..... Doesn't sound weak to me.....

Ok but after a month back i am deadlifting 120kg and only benching 65kg both for 6 reps.  So it looks like my natural strength isn't in my chest as both areas after 10 years off should be realtively weak but my chest has regressed a lot more than my deadlift.  bicep ez curl is already back to 45kg and i close grip benched 55kg today for 6 reps for triceps.  This seems crazy high compared to just 65kg for flat bench press.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 03, 2016, 08:24:21 PM »

I've decided to set myself a long term challenge this year and it may be a tough one.

It revolves around the 100 press ups thing and basically involves me doing a total of 25,000 press ups this year.

I started my 100 press up challenge 30 November when I did a total of 68 across 5 sets. I did a total of 11 sessions between then and 27 December when I did a total of 112 across 5 sets.

My total reps in the month was 1047 so multiply that by 12 and you've got 12,564.

Obviously I would hope to improve as the months go by and also fit in more than 11 sessions per month so I think 25,000 is a realistic target and should be really good fun to keep tabs on.

I'm going to start tonight with a little session after my stretching. I'll keep tabs on here obviously with a target total and current total.

Anyone fancy any side bets let me know......

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 03, 2016, 08:40:59 PM »

68 press ups a day sounds easy!
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 03, 2016, 08:42:46 PM »

Ok but after a month back i am deadlifting 120kg and only benching 65kg both for 6 reps.  So it looks like my natural strength isn't in my chest as both areas after 10 years off should be realtively weak but my chest has regressed a lot more than my deadlift.  bicep ez curl is already back to 45kg and i close grip benched 55kg today for 6 reps for triceps.  This seems crazy high compared to just 65kg for flat bench press.

I'd say you've just made really good progress with your deadlifts and arms rather than worry about your chest.

It's only been a month so focus on the positive improvements rather than worry about the muscles that are responding a bit slower. There's no way I was back to 65kg on bench after a month so I really just think you're doing well on the other exercises.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: