blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:51:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 530841 times)
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: January 03, 2016, 08:43:41 PM »

68 press ups a day sounds easy!

Care to join me......?

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 03, 2016, 08:47:51 PM »

Care to join me......?

Not yet.  My chest kills most days at the minute from training.  I don't think i could do 68 in a week at the minute.  Will re assess in the summer when stronger and lighter.  Might do a 6 month if you are still going strong.  How do you plan to attempt it?  68 a day every day?  Straight out of bed every morning i reckon and bang them out first thing.  Get them out of the way.  No excuses then.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 08:52:51 PM by arbboy » Logged
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 03, 2016, 08:52:53 PM »

You think I need to do more?

Admittedly doing 68 press ups in a day isn't difficult at all. Doing it every single day for a year however would be almost impossible. Just finding the motivation would be difficult enough but then staying injury free and fitting them in on holidays etc. makes it a lot more difficult.

I anticipate doing 3 sessions per week averaging about 120 per session to start with and ramping up to 200-250 as I improve. I expect to be quite a long way behind the curve for a few months and then catch up towards the end of the year.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 03, 2016, 09:00:05 PM »

Care to join me......?

Not yet.  My chest kills most days at the minute from training.  I don't think i could do 68 in a week at the minute.  Will re assess in the summer when stronger and lighter.  Might do a 6 month if you are still going strong.  How do you plan to attempt it?  68 a day every day?  Straight out of bed every morning i reckon and bang them out first thing.  Get them out of the way.  No excuses then.

So not that easy then.......

If it was just a case of getting them done to hit 25,000 then doing 5 every hour whilst awake would be the easiest way.

It's not about that though, I'll be aiming to do sets close to failure and use them to strengthen my upper body and core significantly. Once I get to the stage where I can do sets of 40ish I'll probably look at making them more difficult rather than just increase the numbers further. Feet up on a medicine ball is always a good one to start with.

The main difficulty will be sticking to it and that's why I've set a target. 20k seemed too low and 30k seems a bit high and may have left me a long way behind early on. I didn't want it to seem impossible as that could easily put me off.

Will see how it goes anyway.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 03, 2016, 09:11:59 PM »

When you guys were all doing the press up challenge a few months ago i tried something one day at home whilst i was working.  I thought 'surely i can knock out 5 press ups every 10 minutes between every dog race?'.  I did it that day.  Literally did 5 press ups every 10 mins for the whole day as soon as every dog race finished.  So probably did 180 in the day.  Never felt tired at all doing them in 5's.  Then my neighbour spotted me doing them through the front window on the living room floor and give me a really strange look and i never did any again!
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 03, 2016, 09:14:15 PM »

Matt if you have shoulder issues, I would SERIOUSLY re consider doing 25000 press ups in a year unless you start doing ALOT more back work.

Most shoulder injuries come from behind i.e. chest and shoulders too strong so pull everything forward.

I learnt this the semi hard way, and frustratingly did it again last year when I should know so much better.

I guess what I am trying to say is, if you think you are doing enough back... double it then you might be right. It is why I stick RDL and deads in as much as I can, just to add to back. And on my upper days my back always gets more.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 04, 2016, 12:57:57 AM »

Matt if you have shoulder issues, I would SERIOUSLY re consider doing 25000 press ups in a year unless you start doing ALOT more back work.

Most shoulder injuries come from behind i.e. chest and shoulders too strong so pull everything forward.

I learnt this the semi hard way, and frustratingly did it again last year when I should know so much better.

I guess what I am trying to say is, if you think you are doing enough back... double it then you might be right. It is why I stick RDL and deads in as much as I can, just to add to back. And on my upper days my back always gets more.

Too late mate. Already done 102 so I can't stop now. Only 24,898 to go.....

All of my shoulder problems are muscular and you're spot on with the cause. I've gone over it a lot with my physio and we've been working on it to help my posture as my shoulders are a bit rounded. It's difficult not to slip in to bad habits again though.

I think in the past although my back was very strong I'd over focus on the stretch and let my shoulders go with it so I was fully stretched out. I could shift a lot of weight but it was all lats that were doing the work and I wasn't engaging the minor supporting muscles enough. I now have to pinch my shoulders back and down first before doing any back exercises to make sure I engage the teres minor/major which when developed a bit more will apparently act against my chest/shoulders and pull my shoulders back.

I don't think the press ups will cause too many problems but I'll bear your comments in mind and keep an eye on how things are going. Although I'm strict with my back training now I hadn't really thought of the effect that extra chest training might have but you're right.

I'll look in to some additional back training as I progress the press ups. I can't see a problem with cutting down my chest work if I have that many press ups going on so a substitution of two chest exercises for some really controlled back work with a good squeeze could work nicely.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 01:00:13 AM by EvilPie » Logged

Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 04, 2016, 03:01:45 AM »

i really don't think i can string 10 push ups together and you guys are talking in absurd numbers.

I am going to go all out tomorrow. I think the over and unders is on 6.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 04, 2016, 04:03:07 AM »

Believe me ant when i was 20 stone i got down 50 times a day and did 5 push ups every 10 minutes for 5 hours.  It isn't that hard if you can do 5 then you can do 5 every ten minutes. try it.  I was amazing i could do it as well.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 04, 2016, 09:18:52 AM »

i really don't think i can string 10 push ups together and you guys are talking in absurd numbers.

I am going to go all out tomorrow. I think the over and unders is on 6.

If you fancy having a shot at press ups don't go all out on your first attempt. You'll be in agony for days and won't be able to do another one until the soreness subsides.

You need to build up slowly so that you can do a few again in a couple of days.

You're better off doing 5 sets of 2 or 3 rather than 1 set of 8 which completely messes you up.

If you're just curious to know how many you can do but aren't looking at improving then go for it and blast out as many as possible but trust me you'll ache!!

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 04, 2016, 09:38:00 AM »

Jeez it was hard work getting up this morning after the long lazy lay off....

Anyway I somehow managed to get to the gym at 6am and had a decent session. I'm sticking with the heavy compound movements for now as I'm really enjoying it. Yet to see any real results but it's early days and I haven't had a chance to string more than one full week together yet. I'll give it at least 6 weeks before making any judgements but recording weights here will be useful to look back at to check progress.

Started with hanging leg raises making sure to engage my back as much as possible. 4 x 10

Decent bench press up to 70kg without any real stress. I could've gone heavier or managed more reps but I'm not looking to push myself too much just yet especially after a few bad weeks.

Bent over row up to 60kg which was pretty easy. I was really pleased with this as it's never been a strong point of mine. Will be interesting to see where I can get with these as my best was only ever 100kg.

Shoulder press up to 40kg. These weren't so easy as my stability isn't quite there yet. It'll improve over the next few weeks though. What stance do you guys use for your ohp? Square stance or one foot forward? I went for the square stance which is obviously less stable but has the benefit of making your core do some work in keeping you upright.

Finished with 4 x 5 chin ups which were really difficult. My back is coping well and I know I could do more but I have a strain in my forearm that's really causing me some grief. It's near the elbow on the right side and is really restricting what I can do. There's always something.....

So yeah, generally a good session especially for first one back after a lay off and a cold so I'm really pleased.

Onwards and upwards Smiley

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 04, 2016, 09:52:49 AM »

Too late mate. Already done 102 so I can't stop now. Only 24,898 to go.....

All of my shoulder problems are muscular and you're spot on with the cause. I've gone over it a lot with my physio and we've been working on it to help my posture as my shoulders are a bit rounded. It's difficult not to slip in to bad habits again though.

I think in the past although my back was very strong I'd over focus on the stretch and let my shoulders go with it so I was fully stretched out. I could shift a lot of weight but it was all lats that were doing the work and I wasn't engaging the minor supporting muscles enough. I now have to pinch my shoulders back and down first before doing any back exercises to make sure I engage the teres minor/major which when developed a bit more will apparently act against my chest/shoulders and pull my shoulders back.

I don't think the press ups will cause too many problems but I'll bear your comments in mind and keep an eye on how things are going. Although I'm strict with my back training now I hadn't really thought of the effect that extra chest training might have but you're right.

I'll look in to some additional back training as I progress the press ups. I can't see a problem with cutting down my chest work if I have that many press ups going on so a substitution of two chest exercises for some really controlled back work with a good squeeze could work nicely.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 04, 2016, 01:40:20 PM »

Wait no idea what I did there, I was meant to say love the response of I have started so I am carrying on.

Try doing 25,000 pull ups to go along with it. 
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 04, 2016, 01:46:02 PM »

Ha ty for the heads up on the push ups evilpie not interested in injuring myself.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 04, 2016, 01:53:12 PM »

Wait no idea what I did there, I was meant to say love the response of I have started so I am carrying on.

Try doing 25,000 pull ups to go along with it. 

I reckon 5,000 would be a realistic target for pull ups but I wouldn't commit to anything whilst I've got this niggling forearm injury.

If fully fit I'm sure I could get up to 4 x 8-10 and do that 3 time a week so 5,000 would be achievable. Maybe one for next year......

I'm glad you understood what I saying about the back exercises. So difficult to explain but you've obviously been there with the same issues so understand the shoulder 'pinch' to engage the minor muscles.

Your message acted as a great reminder so I was really strict this morning. Cheers Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: