blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:43:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 530794 times)
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: January 04, 2016, 02:11:50 PM »

Wait no idea what I did there, I was meant to say love the response of I have started so I am carrying on.

Try doing 25,000 pull ups to go along with it. 

I reckon 5,000 would be a realistic target for pull ups but I wouldn't commit to anything whilst I've got this niggling forearm injury.

If fully fit I'm sure I could get up to 4 x 8-10 and do that 3 time a week so 5,000 would be achievable. Maybe one for next year......

I'm glad you understood what I saying about the back exercises. So difficult to explain but you've obviously been there with the same issues so understand the shoulder 'pinch' to engage the minor muscles.

Your message acted as a great reminder so I was really strict this morning. Cheers Smiley

Yeah been there too many times. Cannot express in words how mad I was around May/June last year when I did it again when I should know so so so much better. Couldn't press again til Oct and bar pressing still hurts now.

Shoulder position in all these exercises are so important. For injury prevention you cannot beat a strict range of motion.

5k pull ups still seems outrageous. I definitely want to start banging some more out. Monkey bars etc is something I want to do more of.

I have a similar forearm thing. I think mine is more strength related, I need to do few more isolation exercises on them.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 05, 2016, 10:52:11 PM »

Definitely hitting my top ranges lately. Gettin to the stage on all lifts where one more just isn't happening. I dont think I have ever been at this point.

3x3 OHP 72.5kg today. Optimistic sayying 3x3, it was more 2x3 and a not so smooth attempt at a last set.

2 more weeks of this, and then swapping things up, mainly because go away in two weeks. Probably should do one more week, but will try two and see how we go.
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: January 06, 2016, 12:43:54 AM »

Definitely hitting my top ranges lately. Gettin to the stage on all lifts where one more just isn't happening. I dont think I have ever been at this point.

3x3 OHP 72.5kg today. Optimistic sayying 3x3, it was more 2x3 and a not so smooth attempt at a last set.

2 more weeks of this, and then swapping things up, mainly because go away in two weeks. Probably should do one more week, but will try two and see how we go.

That is beastly. Great work mate.

Stocking my cupboards with stuff like sweet potatoes, quinoa and veg. I succumbed too frequently to McD's last year on the premise that i was "bulking" and that it was ok. Sure i put on about 10kg and some muscle mass, but I also jiggle a little when i walk i find. Cleaner and harder in the gym/diet this year.

Back on 5x5.

Body weight: 76.4kg

Row: 65
Squat: 70 (easing into this one, i had 3 months off legs)
Deadlift: 115
OHP: 45

With bench i don't want to do it with a barbell, i feel so uncomfortable without a spot or a rack. Would it be so bad if i just did it with dumbbells instead? I'm holding 26kg and pushing 4 sets to failure at the moment.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 06, 2016, 12:47:21 AM »

That is beastly. Great work mate.

Stocking my cupboards with stuff like sweet potatoes, quinoa and veg. I succumbed too frequently to McD's last year on the premise that i was "bulking" and that it was ok. Sure i put on about 10kg and some muscle mass, but I also jiggle a little when i walk i find. Cleaner and harder in the gym/diet this year.

Back on 5x5.

Body weight: 76.4kg

Row: 65
Squat: 70 (easing into this one, i had 3 months off legs)
Deadlift: 115
OHP: 45

With bench i don't want to do it with a barbell, i feel so uncomfortable without a spot or a rack. Would it be so bad if i just did it with dumbbells instead? I'm holding 26kg and pushing 4 sets to failure at the moment.

Do you supplement at all?  I would strongly suggest a promax/creatine mix from Maximuscle which is what i am using and have used for years when i was previously training seriously for weight gain/muscle and strength development.  Try it for a month and see if you notice the difference.  It will cost u £50.  I would be amazed if you didn't.  Much better use of £50 than big mac's.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 12:50:50 AM by arbboy » Logged
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: January 06, 2016, 01:02:41 AM »

I am supplementing my diet with protein shakes and creatine yeah. If you have a link that would be great though, i will be sure to try it out when i run out of my current batch.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 06, 2016, 08:53:55 AM »

I'm really enjoying this upper body workout at the moment and I had a really strong session (for me....) this morning.

Usual hanging leg raise warm up 4 x 10 and then...

Bench press 50kg x 10, 70kg x 10, 80kg x 8, 90kg x 8.

Bent over row 60kg, 4 x 10

OHP 40kg 8, 8, 8, 6

Wide grip chins 4 x 5

Really pleased with the 90kg bench press. It's a long time since I've been anywhere near that sort of number and I'm really confident of hitting 100kg pretty soon. I can only put it down to the press ups as my progress had been really slow until very recently so I'm definitely keeping them up in the evenings.

I'm taking it very steady with the bent over row really focussing on form. I could lift more but I'd risk letting my form slip so I expect steady improvements there rather than anything drastic.

I thought I might be able to push the OHP a bit higher today but soon changed my mind after my second set. Awesome effort by Harvey getting to 72.5kg. I said the other day that I used to do 100kg but after today I wonder if I maybe dreamt that!! Seems almost impossible after todays efforts.

Chin ups were reasonably easy but the forearm twinge is causing problems. I reckon without it I'd be able to get close to 10 on my first set. I'll stick with what I'm doing which is slow reps with good form. Hopefully this will pay off if my little injury goes away at any point.

I've switched my lower body session around a bit following Harvey's advice. Yesterday I just did 6 sets of squats up to 80kg and 4 sets of deadlifts at 60kg. Keeping to just these two exercises gave me plenty of time for a good stretch session after which I felt really good after.

I'm going to give this upper/lower a go for a few weeks now and see how things progress. It'll be very interesting for me as I've never done anything like this before.

Great work by everyone else. Keep up the good work.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 06, 2016, 11:31:10 AM »

I do love an OHP but when I am fully extended I am over 8 foot so it is really tough for me.

I take a whey shake and creatine oh and bcaa. I am not the biggest supplement fan, I think it is severely overhyped and since I am privy to the science side I am not sure how much placebo effect will help. I do however recommend those three. I take bcaa's and creatine everyday, and whey PWO.

Definitely wouldn't go down the diet protein route, my whey shake has less carbs, less fat and more protein that my sisters diet whey.

I don't eat fast food, the only 'bad' thing I eat are skittles PWO. Everything else is what you would expect, chicken, rice, mince, veg, oats, eggs etc.

@Matt loving those squats. I am going 5x5 in feb, so interesting to see the numbers a bit closer on our rep schemes.

Loving the interaction lately too, good to see some strong performances all round.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 06, 2016, 04:12:10 PM »

Blonde power:

Squats

2x3 130kg
1x3 135kg

Felt pretty good today despite the 100 warm up feeling like it was gonna crush me.
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 06, 2016, 05:53:41 PM »

I'm shredding quite nicely still and need to keep it up.

I noticed yesterday that I was probably going a bit slowly because of the way I am eating. I start a session normally with 8 bananas an hour before and then crack on with it with some banana stops in between.

I changed things up yesterday to eat a banana after every 3/4 sets and placing them out seemed to help. Maybe that's placebo a little, I dunno.

I think I need to eat something more substantial before a session as a tester and I'm going with oats and raisins and then top ups with bananas if needed.

I basically think the problem was insufficient calories before a session. Afterwards I absolutely load up, but I think my sessions are being affected by how little I take on before.

Regardless of all I have said I have still maintained the routine. I just think I take too long between sets to recover for this reason. Get a little light headed and fatigued but then with bananas top up I feel much better, which hints to me more cals needed but I dunno?
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: January 06, 2016, 10:49:18 PM »

I noticed yesterday that I was probably going a bit slowly because of the way I am eating. I start a session normally with 8 bananas an hour before and then crack on with it with some banana stops in between.

I changed things up yesterday to eat a banana after every 3/4 sets and placing them out seemed to help. Maybe that's placebo a little, I dunno.

I think I need to eat something more substantial before a session as a tester and I'm going with oats and raisins and then top ups with bananas if needed.

I basically think the problem was insufficient calories before a session. Afterwards I absolutely load up, but I think my sessions are being affected by how little I take on before.

Regardless of all I have said I have still maintained the routine. I just think I take too long between sets to recover for this reason. Get a little light headed and fatigued but then with bananas top up I feel much better, which hints to me more cals needed but I dunno?

From my understanding PWO and Pre aren;t as important as we've been told in the past. So as ever it is personal preference. Anything in the gym is almost certainly a waste of time physiologically as we don't digest it quick enough. But placebo works well.

I always laugh when people eat in the gym though, they have read it on mens health or t nation or something.

But yeah a tonne of carbs like 2-4 hours before may help, I always feel shit if I don't have carbs before hand, but 100% psychological. I am a pre workout pancake kinda guy, so oats in that just makes me happy.

As long as you are eating the right amount of kcals day after day you will win.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: January 06, 2016, 11:52:35 PM »

You shouldn't need loads of calories before you train to be able to function. I get up at 5.30am and have a smoothie which contains about 350 calories and I have no problems at all training at 6am. This is obviously after a nights sleep so the last time I would've eaten would be about 8 hours prior.

As Harvey says it's your overall intake that matters not the precise time you eat.

You mention that eating a banana whilst training makes you feel better. That kind of makes sense. They're simple sugary carbs so they should give a pretty quick hit.

If they seem to work very quickly for you it seems strange that you eat 8 of them a full hour before training. Why not try eating them 5 minutes before and see how that works out? Maybe have an oatmeal, raisin, spinach & berries smoothie an hour before so the complex carbs from the oatmeal have time to get in to your system and have your bananas a bit closer to training time.

Just a thought.....

One other thing. How much do you drink whilst training? I get through about a pint of water during my 45 minute session and there's no way I could train as effectively without it. Just a quick sip between sets is enough but if I don't drink I can't train anywhere near as well.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: January 07, 2016, 03:59:10 AM »

I love this thread.

Thanks for the responses you two. I actually had the raisins in oats as i wrote out the post earlier and waited a little bit before going to the gym to try it out. Felt very different to if i would prep with bananas and actually only topped up with 2 of them mid routine. I felt really much more at ease, felt i could lift more with my legs than before and think going into upper body day tomorrow, I could see a real difference with just this slight change in approach. Placebo or not I was loving life Smiley.

Hopefully this approach will bring a continued better lifting experience and I am genuinely excited about having easier days now. This does highlight that my relaxed approach to counting calories/knowing more about nutrition/being more advanced generally, might be really holding me back but until i actually take time to have a more professional approach I am just going to carry on like this cack-handedly.

I do think though that I have the most important thing in my locker currently, and that is an ability to do the work on a regular basis, and even though it may not be spot on, it is definitely having a positive effect, so it is still of decent value to just carry on as i am, and then ease in the fine tuning process progressively with time.

Saying that I have a couple of questions that have bugged me that I am pretty sure you guys can help with:

Is it okay if you have 4 different routines to complete at 4 sets each, to mix them and do 1 set of each until all are completed? I do this currently and find it really helps my shoulder press. If i just try to bash out four sets of shoulder presses in a row the reps suffer, but should i be looking for this because this is better value work in hitting this area hard and fast, or do i get better benefit with a bit of rest as i do something else and then come back to it? Really unsure on that.

What is the conversion rate from dumbbell to the big bar? If i was to do a bench press using two 15kg dumbbells, what would that be close to in exertion rate if i was to do a bench press with the bigger bar (both hands on the one bar)?  

« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 04:02:05 AM by Ant040689 » Logged
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 07, 2016, 02:09:37 PM »

Ant your shoulder question? Arent you just turning it into a circuit? This is where programming comes in, and I can't answer the question without knowing alot about you. I.E. do you need to be balanced, are you hitting all heads of the muscle, are you using it to enhance your bench, do you do sports where one is needed more than the other, previous injures etc etc.

In short, I am inclined to say it doesn't matter, adherence is always the most important factor. But if you get injured, you've programmed it wrong, but that is a kinda specific question. And I hate answering those kind of questions in ignorance.

BB vs DB. Who cares, just try your best on each one. Some people prefer DB some BB. Some are better with DB others with BB. Like bodyfat, seems a totally useless thing to want to know. Focus on the things that matter.
Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #463 on: January 08, 2016, 12:53:47 AM »

Am I the only one who really enjoys leg day?

Cymru am byth
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 08, 2016, 01:01:39 AM »

Am I the only one who really enjoys leg day?

Mine don't work properly, so haven't done any squatting for a good while.

Been going for a couple weeks, but only doing some upper body stuff.

Currently sorting something out with a mte of mine who is a PT.

Should be amusing, but will let you know in a couple weeks time Cheesy

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: