blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:49:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 530872 times)
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: January 29, 2016, 10:19:25 AM »

Lol Iraise, I was asking about the burn because I was feeling it massively too. Did 5x5 80kg squats and hobbled like a mofo for the next couple of days. The ache was so bad it actually gave me quite an uncomfortable sleep. But hey no pain no gain.

Squats are the one area where it actually looks like I lift. Having done 5x5 for the majority of my training I don't think I've got much of a lifters body really.  But my quadriceps have become truly massive compared to everything else. They've really blown up. The aesthetic result is always a little extra boost.

I despise the term no pain no gain. It doesn't even make sense. You certainly don't gain anything being in pain. Your life is affected and you can't train as hard.

I am crazy stiff right now, which means I couldn't train yesterday and maybe not today. Well done me.

It drives me crazy when people buy into this 'lion instagram culture'.

If it hurts, stop.

But i do understand what you mean, it isn't always plain sailing. But if you are not dieting, you should never be stiff if you are programming properly. Eat, sleep and drink loads of water.

On a more positive note, 5x5 at 80 is crazy good. Why do I think you are like 67kg BW?
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: January 30, 2016, 01:07:40 AM »

Ty iRaise. In this context what you say does makes sense. I started off at 67kg btw which might be why you think that. 

Another tough week fatigue wise. I really need to get more sleep so i'm not always completely wiped by the time i get home. Got 3 sessions in though.

Weight: 76kg

Row: 72.5
Squat: 80
OHP: 47.5
Deadlift: 120

Sat on the machines today because i was tired and i can go significantly heavier on those. I'll try not to make it a habit though.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: January 30, 2016, 03:11:00 PM »

Pretty sure you are making such better progress than I was at the equiv training age.

Really want deadlifts today but still so so stiff. I am pretty sure the extra mobility is activating muscles and movement patterns I am not used to. So I am suffering. But if I can get up for any day, it is deadlift day.

@Matt me and Sean reckon a Sunday if that is good for you?
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: January 30, 2016, 05:56:08 PM »

Deadlifts today. 5x5 150

Had to switch to alternate grip which is so frustrating. Feel like I should have the grip for those. But the weight wasnt too bad. I want to get to 180 for five at the end of the program. I had 180 for three a few weeks ago. But it was an actual three, the 4th didnt move. So not sure how that will go.

Rest of the session had to get creative as I was still pretty stiff. Tried front squats and did not go well.
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: February 01, 2016, 05:08:35 PM »

Been out with a slight concussion and i will be nearing a week off. I would say its not terrible for me recovery wise either, but I am keen to get back into it.

I have football back on the schedule post injury on Weds, Sat and Sun.

Monday and Thursday for weight days then?

Also I may need to incorporate upper and lower body on the same day so I was thinking about merging both routines but only doing 2 sets of each?

Also I was thinking about reducing the weights initially and play it by ear so that I know the max I can do and still be fresh for football. Sound like a good idea?
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 01, 2016, 06:08:41 PM »

Been out with a slight concussion and i will be nearing a week off. I would say its not terrible for me recovery wise either, but I am keen to get back into it.

I have football back on the schedule post injury on Weds, Sat and Sun.

Monday and Thursday for weight days then?

Also I may need to incorporate upper and lower body on the same day so I was thinking about merging both routines but only doing 2 sets of each?

Also I was thinking about reducing the weights initially and play it by ear so that I know the max I can do and still be fresh for football. Sound like a good idea?

Would do full body if I was training 3x or less per week. Regardless of any other factor.

When I go to 4 I go upper/lower/upper/lower

When I go to 5 I add a circuit day

When I go to 6 I add an isolation day. So basically high reps light weight and target the whole body with isolations.

I'm not saying thats the best way but its the way I do it.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 01, 2016, 06:10:35 PM »

4x5 Inc Bench 70kg today with a 1x12 at 50kg. Just went AMRAP and bailed a bit mentally. Have a cold so mentally just wasn't there how I would like to be.

Brought the chalk out for the one arm rows. Stayed at 44 this week but will push to 46 next.

OHP went up to 45 for 4x8. Pretty comfortable but lower back is stiff from deads and I don't really wear a belt. I should probably start.
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: February 02, 2016, 11:28:07 AM »

Out on interest do any of the people in this thread have any qualifications or have you at least checked the qualifications of the videos you are watching on youtube and such? 

The fitness industry is convoluted by people who don't have any formal training or indeed any coaching experience who think they are the next Mr Fitness UK. 

I see a lot of reference to high rep exercises as a way to build strength.  When all it does is build endurance. 

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: February 02, 2016, 12:18:03 PM »

Out on interest do any of the people in this thread have any qualifications or have you at least checked the qualifications of the videos you are watching on youtube and such? 

The fitness industry is convoluted by people who don't have any formal training or indeed any coaching experience who think they are the next Mr Fitness UK. 

I see a lot of reference to high rep exercises as a way to build strength.  When all it does is build endurance. 

Of course it builds strength, how on earth could it not? It's not the optimal method to become as strong as possible if pure strength is your only goal but to say it doesn't build strength is a bit silly.

I'm pretty certain that nobody has recommended high reps as a way of building strength on here anyway. Sean and Harvey, two of the main contributors both use 5 x 5, 3 x 3 and 1RM regularly for their strength work. Hardly high rep.....

Personally I go for 8 to 10 reps but have never once said that this is the best way to become strong.

In my opinion one of the biggest problems in the fitness industry isn't the people who've had no formal training but rather those that have done a couple of weeks on a PT course and suddenly think they know everything. There's a truly awful PT at my gym who at some point is going to injure someone. I'm sure it goes on everywhere as it seems recently that everybody's a personal trainer despite hardly ever setting foot in a gym themselves. These guys could show me a list of qualifications as long as your arm but I've been training long enough to know that they're actually clueless at putting what they've been taught in to practice.

The qualified PTs on this thread actually train themselves so they put what they teach in to practice. They've learnt the technical stuff in the classroom and they put it to use at the gym so they get to understand what it actually means. I'd rather listen to what they say that most others. At the end of the day I'll read their advice and decide whether or not to try it. If it works I'll stick with it and if not I'll thank them for their advice but move along to what works best for me.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 02, 2016, 03:01:44 PM »

Going to try and hit 5x5 82.5kg squats today. This would be where i got to before i got injured. 80kg felt relatively easy last week so hopefully i'll get this done
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 03:03:24 PM by muckthenuts » Logged
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: February 02, 2016, 04:07:07 PM »

Not sure if you are serious or lol'ing about?

High rep builds muscle primarily, and secondarily strength. You are lifting things, you are going to get stronger. No idea what you are talking about with endurance. Mo Farah does 1-6 rep stuff. He is pretty decent at endurance.

The only thing I agree with you that the fitness industry is full of idiots, which you have so eloquently highlighted with the last part of your post Smiley
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 02, 2016, 04:11:42 PM »

Just read Matts post. Well said.

Whenever I feel like I need a confidence boost at my skill set I go to pure and watch the trainers there. True story.

4x5 Squats today, 105kg. Felt pretty good.

Then a 1x10 at 80, felt pretty hard, trololol.

Not enjoying the leg press they have at pure, so may need to change that to something else. Really struggle to get the depth. Lanky boy problems.

Lower back is on fire lately, making an conscious effort to up my hamstring mobility and recruitment to take some weight of the lower back.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 02, 2016, 04:12:34 PM »

Going to try and hit 5x5 82.5kg squats today. This would be where i got to before i got injured. 80kg felt relatively easy last week so hopefully i'll get this done

Trip report?
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: February 02, 2016, 04:26:04 PM »

The more I read Matt;s post the more and more I love it. I think that is such a good description/observation of how it all works. May even steal some of it.

Totally agree with qualifications, i now disagree with nearly everything I was taught technically.

And Matt is a great person to use in terms of building strength. Just look at the progression, it is nearly doubled in every lift across the board since he started posting. So he is twice as strong on pretty much everything, and going up weekly.

I do believe learning and the technical aspect is crucial, and I mean crucial. It is just a shame it is not taught on any course I have heard of. It is something you have to go out and look for once you have qualified. But experience and refining the information is key. We all put our 'spin' on the things we know and refine it to our beliefs/experience/knowledge. Something I cannot wait to do more of over the next 4-5 years.

Of course anyone can questions what we say, but provide some justification. If I don't call me up on it and I will try and explain it. But like Matt said, flippant statements read online or told by someones mates mate who is huge doesn't help anyone. I can justify my programs, and I plan them in 4-6 months in advance so they follow a process. Just like I do with all my clients. My opinion does evolve and change the more I learn, and I will never be ashamed to admit it.

Science evolves as does my experience with it.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: February 02, 2016, 06:59:05 PM »

Just read Matts post. Well said.

Whenever I feel like I need a confidence boost at my skill set I go to pure and watch the trainers there. True story.

4x5 Squats today, 105kg. Felt pretty good.

Then a 1x10 at 80, felt pretty hard, trololol.

Not enjoying the leg press they have at pure, so may need to change that to something else. Really struggle to get the depth. Lanky boy problems.

Lower back is on fire lately, making an conscious effort to up my hamstring mobility and recruitment to take some weight of the lower back.

Have you tried lots of different feet positions? Where I used to train I'd have my feet placed right at the top of the foot plate so that only my heels were in contact in order to get good feedback from the pressing.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: