blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:55:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272595 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 105 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 535094 times)
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1500 on: October 24, 2016, 10:07:49 AM »

120kg x 3 on bench this morning and 60kg x 3 on OHP.

OHP are feeling a lot more stable than last time I had a go at them which I'm presuming is due to a slightly stronger core.

Once I've got rid of the wobble completely and get my confidence going I reckon there's another 10-20kg in the bag for these.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: October 25, 2016, 08:46:45 AM »

Deadlifts again this morning. I've been overdosing on YouTube vids and really trying to work on form and I think it's paying off in confidence as much as anything. Watching these guys lift ridiculous weights has convinced me finally that deadlifts are clearly good for you if executed correctly.

Did the usual routine so squats up to 100kg x 3, RDL up to 100kg x 5 and then DL which I managed 100kg x 5, 120kg x 3 and then 2 x 1 at 140kg.

Felt my form go a bit on the last one and my back definitely wasn't absolutely flat but still nice to hit three plates already after only doing them for a couple of weeks. Think I'll stick to this weight for a bit now and try to get up to 3 with good form before I try another increase but you never know.

The hardest bit for me is definitely the start of the movement. I think it's partially flexibility as I struggle to get my hips below my shoulders to fully engage the glutes and hamstrings. It means that my hip flexors are having to compensate quite a lot but I'm hoping that will improve.

Any tips for improving the lower part of the lift greatly appreciated. There doesn't seem to be much out there to specifically target that problem area. For the upper part there's rack pull, for the middle section there's RDL but for the lower I can't really think of anything other than just doing more deadlifts.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 09:02:27 AM by EvilPie » Logged

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: October 25, 2016, 10:58:45 AM »

Deadlifts again this morning. I've been overdosing on YouTube vids and really trying to work on form and I think it's paying off in confidence as much as anything. Watching these guys lift ridiculous weights has convinced me finally that deadlifts are clearly good for you if executed correctly.

Did the usual routine so squats up to 100kg x 3, RDL up to 100kg x 5 and then DL which I managed 100kg x 5, 120kg x 3 and then 2 x 1 at 140kg.

Felt my form go a bit on the last one and my back definitely wasn't absolutely flat but still nice to hit three plates already after only doing them for a couple of weeks. Think I'll stick to this weight for a bit now and try to get up to 3 with good form before I try another increase but you never know.

The hardest bit for me is definitely the start of the movement. I think it's partially flexibility as I struggle to get my hips below my shoulders to fully engage the glutes and hamstrings. It means that my hip flexors are having to compensate quite a lot but I'm hoping that will improve.

Any tips for improving the lower part of the lift greatly appreciated. There doesn't seem to be much out there to specifically target that problem area. For the upper part there's rack pull, for the middle section there's RDL but for the lower I can't really think of anything other than just doing more deadlifts.

Lower part is basically grip strength, and squat and leg press. I am a big believer that in a DL you are pushing the weight away from the floor, as opposed to pulling it off the ground.

But as with most, confidence and mobility are always really important.

Solid numbers though.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: October 25, 2016, 11:02:17 AM »

120kg x 3 on bench this morning and 60kg x 3 on OHP.

OHP are feeling a lot more stable than last time I had a go at them which I'm presuming is due to a slightly stronger core.

Once I've got rid of the wobble completely and get my confidence going I reckon there's another 10-20kg in the bag for these.

That is strong, plan is to sticking some on the bench tomorrow.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: October 25, 2016, 05:33:59 PM »

Didn't feel very strong today, so instead of 4x2 went with 4x12 for squats.

60/70/75/80. If I was to do them again on a day I am more focused I would aim for 80, but that last set was pretty touch. Definitely lost count on every set too, so clicking buttons hoping that I hit around the 12 mark. No idea how people count above 8.

Had a 45 min convo in the middle too, which made it A, tough to start again, and B, pretty rushed towards the end. But made it back in time so alls well that ends well.

Upper body tomorrow, so want to sticking some bench somewhere.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: October 25, 2016, 05:47:20 PM »

Decent chest work out (my weak area) yesterday.  Did 3 x sets of 10 without a spot of 34kg flat and 30kg incline dumbbells.  Given i can do these why can i only flat bench 70kg and incline 55kg with an olympic bar (loose not on a smith machine and weight stated includes the weight of the bar just for clarity) and struggle to get 10 reps without a spot?  Surely dumbbells should be tougher as you have to balance them etc etc.  Is this ratio of weights normal between the barbell and dumbbells?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 05:51:01 PM by arbboy » Logged
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: October 25, 2016, 05:53:29 PM »

Decent chest work out (my weak area) yesterday.  Did 3 x sets of 10 without a spot of 34kg flat and 30kg incline dumbbells.  Given i can do these why can i only flat bench 70kg and incline 55kg with an olympic bar (loose not on a smith machine and weight stated includes the weight of the bar just for clarity) and struggle to get 10 reps without a spot?  Surely dumbbells should be tougher as you have to balance them etc etc.  Is this ratio of weights normal between the barbell and dumbbells?

Would have thought you'd be stronger on a bar, as you need to use more stabilising muscles with DB.

I was doing about the same as you on flat DB when my BB was ~90.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: October 25, 2016, 05:59:54 PM »

Started again this week, but Still got a niggling pain inside my left forearm, and top of it when I rotate my hand clockwise.

Not stopping me doing anything, thankfully. It just feels like a pinch at the bottom of pressing movements when I try to push up, and on rowing movements when at the final part of the pull.

Not sure exactly what it is, probably just a strain of some sort, but not having another week off, and will just train around it.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: October 25, 2016, 06:14:20 PM »

Bar path is one reason. So depending on your mobility/strength curve/biomechanics you probably have a different bar path with the bar compared to DB. This is emphasised more when you have a weaker and stronger hand. So weaker hand could go in a different direction, but it won't affect to stronger hand.

I think most people would be stronger on a bar than a DB. But who cares, work on getting stronger on both.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: October 25, 2016, 06:16:27 PM »

Started again this week, but Still got a niggling pain inside my left forearm, and top of it when I rotate my hand clockwise.

Not stopping me doing anything, thankfully. It just feels like a pinch at the bottom of pressing movements when I try to push up, and on rowing movements when at the final part of the pull.

Not sure exactly what it is, probably just a strain of some sort, but not having another week off, and will just train around it.

Training around it always a good shout
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: October 25, 2016, 07:33:21 PM »

What order do you do everything in? If you're doing your DB press first then moving on to bench that could explain quite a bit.

How's your bench set up? Do you arch? Do you make sure you pinch your shoulders together to tighten your upper back? Are you squeezing the bar?

Another thing I'd ask is are you giving it all you've got? 3 x 10 at 34kg suggests you've got something left in the tank somewhere on your DB so are you doing the same with bench? What would happen if you just stick 80kg on the bar? Will you die from strangulation or will you just sling the bar away from you? I reckon it's probably the latter.

There will be a few technical reasons for the difference but I think a lot of your problem is in your head. You just think you're shit at chest the same as I thought I was shit at deadlift. Get over that mental block and I reckon you'll be good for 90kg+ before too long. If it makes you feel better I used to DB press 50kg for 12 in my beast days and at the same time I was only benching 100kg so similar proportions. That was 100% in my head because I was strong as f**k but even sticking an extra 5kg each side would destroy me. Weird.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: October 25, 2016, 08:33:18 PM »

What order do you do everything in? If you're doing your DB press first then moving on to bench that could explain quite a bit.

How's your bench set up? Do you arch? Do you make sure you pinch your shoulders together to tighten your upper back? Are you squeezing the bar?

Another thing I'd ask is are you giving it all you've got? 3 x 10 at 34kg suggests you've got something left in the tank somewhere on your DB so are you doing the same with bench? What would happen if you just stick 80kg on the bar? Will you die from strangulation or will you just sling the bar away from you? I reckon it's probably the latter.

There will be a few technical reasons for the difference but I think a lot of your problem is in your head. You just think you're shit at chest the same as I thought I was shit at deadlift. Get over that mental block and I reckon you'll be good for 90kg+ before too long. If it makes you feel better I used to DB press 50kg for 12 in my beast days and at the same time I was only benching 100kg so similar proportions. That was 100% in my head because I was strong as f**k but even sticking an extra 5kg each side would destroy me. Weird.

I vary the rotation each chest work out (dumbbells first one week, barbell the other week) so that isn't the reason.  I don't arch my back at all and do proper full deep reps all the way to the chest with strict form on both versions.  If i stuck 80kg on the bar i reckon i would be able to do 2 reps max.  I will try it next week just to see!  It is really annoying to the point that i am considering stopping using the barbell and just do more dumbbell sets!
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: October 25, 2016, 10:25:07 PM »

I vary the rotation each chest work out (dumbbells first one week, barbell the other week) so that isn't the reason.  I don't arch my back at all and do proper full deep reps all the way to the chest with strict form on both versions.  If i stuck 80kg on the bar i reckon i would be able to do 2 reps max.  I will try it next week just to see!  It is really annoying to the point that i am considering stopping using the barbell and just do more dumbbell sets!

Good post Matt.

But you don't need the bench. I went like 8 months just using DB and focusing on using my chest more.

Do whatever you want/progress in. Chances are when you stall on one, you get the fire in the other.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: October 26, 2016, 12:27:54 AM »

You don't need the bench but it doesn't half look good when you stick anything over two plates on there and bang out a few reps. Same as you don't need the deadlift but if you can get 3 or 4 plates it just looks and feels good.

I still think the biggest contributor to my recent bench form was the thousands of press ups I did earlier in the year so that might be worth a try. It was quite early in the press up progress that I saw the huge improvements in bench so you might only need a month or so at them.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: October 26, 2016, 10:26:27 AM »

120kg x 4 again on bench for me this morning and 60kg x 7 for OHP on my first set. This dropped to 40kg x 4 on my 3rd set so pretty sure I'd pushed to my limits Smiley

I really pushed the focus on bent over row trying to keep the form so that it benefits DL as much as possible. Some of the DL videos I've watched have recommended bent over row and chins as accessory lifts for DL so that works well with my current routine.

3 x 6 and 1 x 5 for chins with zero arm pain which was awesome. Really want to keep the momentum going with these and hopefully stay injury free.

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 105 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: