blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:40:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  ***BLONDES DO A GOOD DEED THREAD***
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: ***BLONDES DO A GOOD DEED THREAD***  (Read 3871 times)
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2015, 10:36:58 PM »

Great thread
<3 Cos

I had high hopes for it that are disappointingly significantly lessened after only a couple of posts despite 160 views.

Was hoping at least a few people would be expressing their intent to do something but maybe my impatience with everything has again kicked in too soon!

Now you know how we felt when you told us on your diary that something good had happened and you were going to tell us about it "tomorrow".

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2015, 10:54:55 PM »

Great thread
<3 Cos

I had high hopes for it that are disappointingly significantly lessened after only a couple of posts despite 160 views.

Was hoping at least a few people would be expressing their intent to do something but maybe my impatience with everything has again kicked in too soon!

Now you know how we felt when you told us on your diary that something good had happened and you were going to tell us about it "tomorrow".

I put the toilet seat down after I used the bathroom earlier.

david3103

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2015, 10:59:25 PM »

It's so easy to do stuff like this, to 'Pay it Forward' as it were.
I wrote this three years ago elsewhere...

Sunday morning I wake earlier than is needed and decide to pull my jeans on and go in search of orange juice and a newspaper. I've taken to staying in the travelodge at Donnington Services when I play at DTD. It's significantly cheaper than the Nottingham rooms and has significantly better views (seriously - the rooms mostly look out over the rolling countryside). So, I'm in M&S paying for my OJ and a youngish lad carrying a petrol can is in conversation with one of the staff about getting a taxi or some other way to get back to his car which is on the A42 where he ran out of petrol.
I have nothing better to do at that time so I offer him a lift and refuse his proffered 'tenner for petrol' on the basis that I'd prefer the karmic rewards.

That was the morning of one of my finest days in poker...

Latterly I have more time since I am retired and do a few little volunteer things. Minibus driving for a local school and I'm just waiting for Shaw Trust to complete their paperwork so I can help out here...

http://www.shaw-trust.org.uk/shops-enterprises/social-enterprises/st-enterprises-north-east/

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2015, 11:16:08 PM »

It's so easy to do stuff like this, to 'Pay it Forward' as it were.
I wrote this three years ago elsewhere...

Sunday morning I wake earlier than is needed and decide to pull my jeans on and go in search of orange juice and a newspaper. I've taken to staying in the travelodge at Donnington Services when I play at DTD. It's significantly cheaper than the Nottingham rooms and has significantly better views (seriously - the rooms mostly look out over the rolling countryside). So, I'm in M&S paying for my OJ and a youngish lad carrying a petrol can is in conversation with one of the staff about getting a taxi or some other way to get back to his car which is on the A42 where he ran out of petrol.
I have nothing better to do at that time so I offer him a lift and refuse his proffered 'tenner for petrol' on the basis that I'd prefer the karmic rewards.

That was the morning of one of my finest days in poker...

Latterly I have more time since I am retired and do a few little volunteer things. Minibus driving for a local school and I'm just waiting for Shaw Trust to complete their paperwork so I can help out here...

http://www.shaw-trust.org.uk/shops-enterprises/social-enterprises/st-enterprises-north-east/

Excellent David.

Restored my faith!

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 12:12:29 AM »

Great thread
<3 Cos

I do stuff but i'd feel really odd sharing it. Kinda prefer to just do it quietly if that makes sense.
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2015, 12:47:48 AM »

Great thread
<3 Cos

I do stuff but i'd feel really odd sharing it. Kinda prefer to just do it quietly if that makes sense.

Yeah that totally makes sense though you've nearly started telling us now so would be cool to hear it.

This thread is definitely not all about me, you or anyone else saying what we do to get praise for it. It's just to encourage people doing some good things.

I believe everyone can be a better person. This thread is about that.

Particularly poker players. We live a fairly self indulgent life. You already do stuff which is great but therefore fall into the category so much of people I'm trying to muster into thinking 'yeah i dont do anything, I have the time/resources to be able to'

That said I'm not just targeting poker players.

@GreekStein on twitter.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2015, 05:58:08 PM »

Hi Cos

i do a few things but i am not that comfortable talking about them. Don't feel the need to let other people know.

I am only speaking for myself, but that might be a reason why you haven't had a flood of responses. some threads are also slow-burners.

nice thread though, every response (until this one!) has been worthwhile

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2015, 06:26:19 PM »

I like the opportunistic good deeds, like the guy who fixed Pappa Cos's car.

We've all needed that little bit of help from time to time.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2015, 06:36:59 PM »

Hi Cos

i do a few things but i am not that comfortable talking about them. Don't feel the need to let other people know.

I am only speaking for myself, but that might be a reason why you haven't had a flood of responses. some threads are also slow-burners.

nice thread though, every response (until this one!) has been worthwhile

Hi Tighty,

I agree your thinking on this is probably shared by several people. I definitely debated posting it for similar reasons so I totally get it but at the same time, I think if shared in the right way - just simply statement of what you do etc then it's fine. People don't want to feel they are bragging when it comes to this sort of stuff and that's not how I intend the thread to be either. I did pretty much nothing when I was in the UK fwiw and now almost see it as a duty to help people less fortunate.

I think most people don't do enough and having others sharing their stories might encourage people to do some similar things.

Hopefully you change your mind and share but if not I respect that too.

@GreekStein on twitter.

mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2015, 07:09:57 PM »

If I can suggest a slight change of tack (a derail, if you will...)...

If you're not comfortable posting about good deeds you did, how about a tip on how to find areas where you can give, things that have the biggest impact, etc etc...
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2015, 07:16:57 PM »

If I can suggest a slight change of tack (a derail, if you will...)...

If you're not comfortable posting about good deeds you did, how about a tip on how to find areas where you can give, things that have the biggest impact, etc etc...

thumbs up

@GreekStein on twitter.

mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2015, 07:27:37 PM »

I'm going to distribute some clothes, toys and hygiene products at the main station here in Prague on Friday as people stop and change before (likely) travelling on to Germany.

I'm currently making some little leaflets of basic German phrases which will help them on the off chance the German that greets them can't understand what they mean in English. Some little pictures and English, German and (maybe if I can find a speaker...) Arabic.

We're also hoping to change the 'prevailing' attitude of Czechs outside of Prague about foreigners so will possibly also travel to the border with them if I can find a Czech speaker to come with me (as mine won't get the baby washed!)
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2015, 08:05:56 PM »

Brilliant thread.

Was in a pre-pay multi-storey car park a few weeks ago walking towards the pay station. Guy pulled up next to me on his way out and asked if I wanted his ticket as it still had 3 hours on it. Did make me smile.

BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2015, 11:39:04 PM »

I agree with the points made by tightly this was the first place I've ever mentioned the blind man story but when I saw the thread I thought of that and thought I would post it.

Also the more it pops up the more I try and go out and help a little.

One thing I've always wanted to do is open a "pay it forward" restaurant/takeaway

In my home town we have quiet a few homeless people I always thought it would be a good idea to have 15 minutes after closing time to give food to the homeless, also people during the day can "pay it forward" and donate meals throughout the day.

Obviously these people don't have to be homeless they could just be hungry etc but always thought it would help places reduce waste and help others.

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2015, 11:43:45 PM »

one thing i've been doing quite a lot lately is letting people with one or two items in front of me in the queue at supermarket checkouts.

i'm yet to understand a single response (must take more lessons!) but i guess it basically doesn't happen here in general because lots of curious looks followed by smiles as they realise I'm forever going to repeat 'please, sir/madam' and wave an arm if they keep talking Cheesy

obviously it's a nothing thing to do (you wait another 10 seconds or whatever) but you might make someone's day!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: