blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:56:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  ***BLONDES DO A GOOD DEED THREAD***
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: ***BLONDES DO A GOOD DEED THREAD***  (Read 3874 times)
GreekStein

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2015, 12:40:56 PM »

Firstly let me apologise for the hippy/emoness of this thread.

This thread is inspired by a few things.

My dad's car down broke down a few years ago and before he even had the chance to make any calls to sort the problem out, someone who happened to be a mechanic going home pulled over, spent 45 minutes fixing my dads car and refused when my dad tried to pay him. He insisted that my dad could repay him by helping someone else. I thought that was pretty cool.

I have also done some travelling and realised how lucky most of us all are. Seeing how some people struggle is truly humbling.

I've done some things in the last 18 months that I'm proud of but certainly want to do a lot more. I know some people have their own problems and if so then maybe this thread can help too.

People can criticise Blonde all they want but it's a great community with 99% good people and I'm sure some people will get involved.

Basically I propose that people give some time and effort wherever or whenever they can to do something to help a good cause, be that a person, animal or otherwise and then post in the thread about what they've done etc. It's easy to throw money at something but doing something personal is awesome.

I really hope that some of the poker players who like myself spend most of their time chasing $$ (and not paying tax!) can take part in something different and get something from it. Imo the great thing about doing something 'selfless' is that it's very hard for it to truly be 'selfless' because you feel great having done it and there's nothing wrong with that.

I encourage people to post what they've done. Whether it's something spur of the moment or something that's been considered. A one off act or a regular activity, post. Whether it's something you're thinking of doing or whether it's something you've been doing for a while I'd love to hear it.

Today I went with my girlfriend and bought a few boxes of milk cartons for a few kids who's families struggle to buy it for them.

Then we went and gave some food and treats to some street dogs.

It cost me not much at all and didn't take much time either but felt great.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 01:05:31 PM »

I do this every four weeks. My local blood donation centre is one of the few that are also set up for platelet donations. Takes about 90 minutes.

There is a chance I will need corneal transplants at some point in the future so thought that 'paying it forward' was the least I can do.

picture removed by request of poster
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 03:38:33 PM by TightEnd » Logged
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 01:19:52 PM »

PLEASE...........advance warning required if posting photos of injections , eyes or blood being pumped from bodies.

Thank you.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 01:24:28 PM »

Oops, sorry Boo.
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 02:19:15 PM »

PLEASE...........advance warning required if posting photos of injections , eyes or blood being pumped from bodies.

Thank you.

agreed. You need to go and do another good dead to make up for the people you have now just inflicted that on.

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 02:21:37 PM »

A few month's ago a blind man was in the same shop as me. He was clattering around with his stick and really struggling so i offered to help. Anyway he was in completely the wrong shop, the shop he was looking for was long gone. He did know most of the old established shops on the high street.

I decided to spend the next 20 or so minutes walking around with him telling him which shop was which and what they sold. Was completely free, made me feel great and I am hopefully that it gave him great pleasure as well.

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 06:11:47 PM »

I do this every four weeks. My local blood donation centre is one of the few that are also set up for platelet donations. Takes about 90 minutes.

There is a chance I will need corneal transplants at some point in the future so thought that 'paying it forward' was the least I can do.

picture removed by request of poster

Good stuff!

Hairy arm too! Are you Greek?

Following the BKK bombing, the Thai blood banks were absolutely flooded with people in the next days.

@GreekStein on twitter.

GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 06:12:14 PM »

Thank you.

You big wuss!

@GreekStein on twitter.

GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 06:13:20 PM »

A few month's ago a blind man was in the same shop as me. He was clattering around with his stick and really struggling so i offered to help. Anyway he was in completely the wrong shop, the shop he was looking for was long gone. He did know most of the old established shops on the high street.

I decided to spend the next 20 or so minutes walking around with him telling him which shop was which and what they sold. Was completely free, made me feel great and I am hopefully that it gave him great pleasure as well.

Good stuff man.

Things like that are great.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 06:28:12 PM »

My dad's car down broke down a few years ago and before he even had the chance to make any calls to sort the problem out, someone who happened to be a mechanic going home pulled over, spent 45 minutes fixing my dads car and refused when my dad tried to pay him. He insisted that my dad could repay him by helping someone else. I thought that was pretty cool.

I have also done some travelling and realised how lucky most of us all are. Seeing how some people struggle is truly humbling.

I've done some things in the last 18 months that I'm proud of but certainly want to do a lot more. I know some people have their own problems and if so then maybe this thread can help too.

People can criticise Blonde all they want but it's a great community with 99% good people and I'm sure some people will get involved.

Basically I propose that people give some time and effort wherever or whenever they can to do something to help a good cause, be that a person, animal or otherwise and then post in the thread about what they've done etc. It's easy to throw money at something but doing something personal is awesome.

I really hope that some of the poker players who like myself spend most of their time chasing $$ (and not paying tax!) can take part in something different and get something from it. Imo the great thing about doing something 'selfless' is that it's very hard for it to truly be 'selfless' because you feel great having done it and there's nothing wrong with that.

I encourage people to post what they've done. Whether it's something spur of the moment or something that's been considered. A one off act or a regular activity, post. Whether it's something you're thinking of doing or whether it's something you've been doing for a while I'd love to hear it.

Today I went with my girlfriend and bought a few boxes of milk cartons for a few kids who's families struggle to buy it for them.

How come some of those "street-dogs" are wearing collars?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 06:33:16 PM »

How come some of those "street-dogs" are wearing collars?

I've put collars on some street dogs before.

It's simply to make it less likely that they get mistreated by people. Not that they have owners.

@GreekStein on twitter.

taximan007

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 06:47:39 PM »

Great thread
<3 Cos

humbled to be included alongside such esteemed people - thank you
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 06:56:23 PM »

Great thread
<3 Cos

I had high hopes for it that are disappointingly significantly lessened after only a couple of posts despite 160 views.

Was hoping at least a few people would be expressing their intent to do something but maybe my impatience with everything has again kicked in too soon!

@GreekStein on twitter.

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 07:18:27 PM »

Thank you.

You big wuss!

Ha , that i am Sir.  Great thread by the way.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2015, 07:27:53 PM »

Good stuff!

Hairy arm too! Are you Greek?

Following the BKK bombing, the Thai blood banks were absolutely flooded with people in the next days.

Ha, if I ever feel self conscious about the body rug then sitting in a PLO cash game at the Vic always helps. The demographic of many regs means I look like I shower with Immac in comparison....
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: