blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:48:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Roooooooney
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Roooooooney  (Read 5037 times)
exstream

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 02:24:05 PM »

6 penalties
10% of goals vs san marino
5 in euro finals
1 in world cup finals
14 in friendlies
30 in qualifying, qualifying has mainly been vs shit teams hasnt it
Boba Fett
Doctor of Thugonomics

Pain is Temporary!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 02:30:21 PM »

Don't really understand why people focus on Rooney being 29.  He has the miles on the clock of a player in his early/mid 30s given the amount of games he has played at the top level since a very early age in his career.  His performances naturally should be starting to regress given this mileage imo.  No point saying 'i got an 12 plate BMW with 350k miles on the clock'.  It is effectively the age of a 05 plate wear and tear wise.

I don't really buy into the fact he has under achieved either in his career.  He has played on a bang average England team which performed to it's level pretty much throughout his career (ie last 16 of major events - where they should finish).  He has won everything he can club wise with Manure.  He probably hasn't over achieved but pretty hard to say he has under achieved.

ITV put up a caption last night of all the teams he has scored against at international level.  There are not as many 'soft' goals as you would imagine in the list of teams either.  Numerous goals against the big international sides.

Did we see different captions?  Maybe around 7 goals were against teams Id say were top class.  The majority of the goals were scored against sides that have barely qualified for a major tournament in Rooneys lifetime between them and lots that never will in Rooneys lifetime.  Personally I think he really hasnt done it on the big stage and although he's had a good career at club level I think he's come nowhere near fulfilling the potential he showed when he broke through at Everton and in his early Man Utd days

Ya gotta crawl before ya ball!
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 03:13:42 PM »

Suppose it depends if you think he has the natural talent/athleticism of the players you think he is up there with.  ie Ronaldo and Messi.  He is nowhere near either of these talent wise or athletically.  Probably his biggest weakness is his lifestyle.  Smoking/drinking/off the pitch issues shagging hookers etc have all held him back at the very top level. You only have to look at Rooney's mum and dad to see what his natural physique should be like so he was up against it from the start athletically.   I just don't think Rooney is up there talent wise with the all time greats so think he has had a career in line with his talent.  Couple of my non punting mates actually think he has over achieved relative to his talent in terms of records/trophies/wages/contracts hoovered.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 03:15:28 PM by arbboy » Logged
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 03:16:08 PM »

International scoring records are bollocks, because the opposition is so varied and sample size.

For something like Premier League records there's a minimum standard of team you're up against.

Rooney has rarely cut it for England (but then again, which players have played for England at the same level they have for their club?)
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 03:25:52 PM »

It is quite likely he ends his career all time leader in England goals/appearances, all time record Manure goalscorer and maybe even all time EPL all time scorer ahead of Shearer.  He has won every club competition in the game, most several times before the age of 28.  How good do you think he should have been if you think he has under acheived?

He has played on a piss poor England team for the vast majority of his career which he can't control.  In before Maradona had the same.  Rooney isn't anywhere near that level for me.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 03:29:50 PM by arbboy » Logged
exstream

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 03:33:01 PM »

No chance of 75 goals to reach Shearer surely
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 03:39:56 PM »

Unlikely but not impossible.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2015, 03:46:20 PM »

What do you think is a fair price that he could?

I like the under, but I think he end close to Shearer assuming no major injuries or transfers.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2015, 03:50:34 PM »

I like the under, but I think he end close to Shearer assuming no major injuries or transfers.

Very tough to price it up.  Depends if he fancies a couple of years signing off at Everton.  That would be the big factor for me.  Surely he will want to go back there and play for his boyhood club when Manure have booted him out.  As i said before he is a 'very old' 29 miles on the clock wise.  Add in his off the field activities and gene pool it isn't likely he ages well relative to an average EPL player imo.  He would be a decent priced under dog to achieve it though.  Probably about 20% likely to achieve it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 03:59:19 PM by arbboy » Logged
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2015, 04:08:35 PM »

Very tough to price it up.  Depends if he fancies a couple of years signing off at Everton.  That would be the big factor for me.  Surely he will want to go back there and play for his boyhood club when Manure have booted him out.  As i said before he is a 'very old' 29 miles on the clock wise.  Add in his off the field activities and gene pool it isn't likely he ages well relative to an average EPL player imo.  He would be a decent priced under dog to achieve it though.  Probably about 20% likely to achieve it.

Was going to say, that will be the deciding factor. He could farm 5/10 a year somewhere for a few years, which might help hit it, as long as he has another few years at United.

I reckon he's more likely to play the contract out, and then morph into his old man.

hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2015, 05:04:54 PM »

I hope Everton tell him to clear off if he tries to angle a move back there at the end of his contract. They won't of course, but I'm sure we'd all like to see them take that stance.

I can see the vomit inducing headlines already.....'Fairytale reunion for Rooney and Everton'......fuck off.

Best Bitter.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2015, 07:47:08 PM »

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2015, 07:49:04 PM »

that 6/1 looks a big price to me playing after teh 2018 WC given he said he would never retire from int football.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2015, 08:24:03 PM »

that 6/1 looks a big price to me playing after teh 2018 WC given he said he would never retire from int football.

Under a different manager, I genuinely hope not. Begrudgingly I'd concede he's had a good career and been one of England's best players in that time. But, to me,  his ball control and link up play seem really quite terrible these days. On the other hand I suppose, despite recent results we have to be the worse we've been for a long time so perhaps it is good value

sola virtus nobilitat
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2015, 05:33:21 PM »

We look at whether Wayne Rooney is holding Manchester United back http://wscrd.co/RooForm 

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: