blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:49:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  An Idiot and His Cat: A Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: An Idiot and His Cat: A Diary  (Read 35352 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2019, 01:51:11 PM »

3 years 361 days to be precise, and thanks for responding to my PM so promptly with a nice update.

Great to hear from you.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2019, 02:30:21 PM »

Please keep the diary going if you can. I lurrve the diaries.

Don't be put off by lack of feedback or response, it doesn't mean anything. My diary is fantastic and virtually no one comments but I know they love it really.

The older I get, the better I was.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2019, 03:35:02 PM »

That's spooky.

I was looking through the EU thread, and clicked your profile to see how long it was since you'd been on. Was pleasantly surprised to see you'd logged in very recently, and even moreso to get an update.

Glad to hear things are going so well, and +1 to more updates.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2019, 03:35:37 PM »

Don't be put off by lack of feedback or response, it doesn't mean anything. My diary is fantastic and virtually no one comments but I know they love it really.

+1

Tikay doesn't even respond to his own, most of the time Grin

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2019, 05:50:11 PM »

+1

Tikay doesn't even respond to his own, most of the time Grin

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2019, 03:09:09 PM »

this week has been pretty mental.

I've (finally) got a permanent desk in the office, having been  'hot-desking' (urgh - both the terminology and the practice) for the better part of 18 months.  Usually that would involve plonking my laptop somewhere, scramble about to get stuff plugged in and then hope whoever's desk I'd purloined for the day/week/month wouldn't suddenly turn up unexpectedly. Sometimes they would, and then I'd smile sheepishly, scrabble around and extricate myself and apologize for interrupting their day.

Whilst I am excited to finally have a place where I can relax and not worry about being kicked out, I must admit that I'll now, at any given time, be capable of being located, and with that, have flow interrupted. Still, at least I can put some pictures of my non-existent kids and pets up. That's what people do in offices, isn't it?

#######################################################################################################################

Last week saw the mighty Zizkov return to winning ways in a rare televised game against FC Zbrojovka Brno, the leading club from the second city. Quite a scrappy game was punctuated by one belter of a freekick from our centre-back from about 30 yards. Up to 7th in the league and next up this weekend is a trip perennial strugglers FC Vlašim about 70km to the South-East of Prague.

I've never been to Vlasim and have heard good things, especially about the castle park -  said to have inspired Gustav Mahler to put chinese poems to music in Das Lied von der Erde and the Château - but unfortunately, on account of both a friend's birthday and the small matter of the RWC Final, I won't be able to make it this time and so will content myself with a couple of photos from the internet. Perhaps I'll make it there next season.

The Château

The entrance to the Castle Park.

After that, we close out the first half of the season with a home fixture against Usti Nad Labem ('Usti-upon-Elbe') before the lack of undersoil heating at most second division grounds enforces a winter-break until probably the second or third week of Feb. The top division tends to run a little longer, so I'll probably get my fix by heading to Bohemians 1905 who are probably the most fun fans in the top division, in Prague at least.

#######################################################################################################################

As for next week,  a pal will visit me and we'll head into the mountains in the North for the weekend after a couple of days showing him my favourite spots in Prague. I might even remember to take some proper photos to share.
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 01, 2019, 03:13:38 PM »

Bohemka fans having fun in the cold.

Singing songs about kangaroos and threatening to destroy their stadium (in jest) if the team don't score 'one goal, and then another one...'

Click to see full-size image.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: November 01, 2019, 03:47:46 PM »

Great diarying Huzzy and the pics add so much.

I have one request. Could you explain your avatar please?

mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 05, 2019, 08:46:33 AM »

Great diarying Huzzy and the pics add so much.

I have one request. Could you explain your avatar please?

the avatar is a picture of me, dressed as an Oompa Loompa and is probably 10 years old at least. Smiley
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 05, 2019, 08:50:24 AM »

last night I went to see Daniel Sloss and his show, X.

Brilliantly funny and a really, really interesting look at toxic masculinity and everything that comes with it.

I believe it's on HBO in US/Canada so you can probably find it online somewhere. Highly recommended.
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2019, 11:08:16 AM »

this weekend I was out of Prague and back in the UK for a family birthday.

whilst I was away, the Czech Republic celebrated the 30th anniversary of the Velvet Revolution (Sametová revoluce) which brought to an end decades of brutal communist rule in the former Czechoslovakia.

My Czech teacher was a student at the time of the revolution and was showing us photos of the demonstrations and explaining in detail what happened. There's nowt so good as a proper oral history from people that were there.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50419667 is a good overview of then, and now

A few short years later, after free elections had made Vaclav Havel the first PM of the free Czechoslovak state, the country divided in the Velvet Divorce into Czech Republic (now Czechia, sort of...) and the Slovak Republic. The historic divorce meeting took place at Villa Tugendhat just outside Brno, the Czech Republic's second city. Built from concrete in the late 20s and following designs by a pair of German architects, the villa truly is iconic, not just here, but around Europe as one of the pioneers of modernism and functionalist architecture.

You can see why:

Anyway, 30 years hence and the Republic is still in a state of flux. The PM is a Slovak-born billionaire who stands accused of corruption and of being a collaborator with the Communist-era secret police StB (Státní bezpečnost / State Security). The Slovak Constitutional Court ruled in 2012 that there was no doubt that Mr. Babiš was certainly a collaborator but - obviously - made no comment on his suitability to be the PM of a different country. Many Czechs distrust him and there is evidence that he has misused EU subsidies for his own gain (the so-called Stork's Nest affair..) and would long for a return to the 'Lustration' period, where collaborators with the StB and other communist-era institutions were banned from the highest offices in the land. That law expired in 2000.

Mr Babiš, and his ally President Zeman (who maybe I'll write about another time as he is quite a character) continue. Babiš as the leader of a coalition goverment with his ANO ('YES') party who is facing calls to resign. The anniversary of the Velvet Revolution was the perfect opportunity for 250,000 people to descend on the Letenská pláň park in the city to rally and call for his resignation. That's part of the movement Milion chvilek pro demokracii ('A million moments for democracy'). Not bad, but not quite as many visitors as a similar rally in the summer which had perhaps 300,000. There's still some way to go to reach the numbers during the Velvet Revolution which numbered 800,000 or so. Although, of course, the country is smaller now..

Today they renewed calls for him to resign. It's worth noting, whilst he has many detractors, he has his supporters too. His party won the Euro elections with about 20% of the vote, and it's fair to say that outside of the metropoles of Prague and Brno he enjoys quite a swelling of populist support.
Removing him from power will not be easy - either at the ballot box or otherwise. There are now more than 500,000 signatures on one million moments petition for him to resign. A salve for democrats is that in the history of the world a non-violent protest engaging 3.5% of the population has never failed to bring about change. A fascinating article on that subject here.

If I've made a small contribution, it's that I pointed out this article to two young journalists I met in a bar on the eve of the larger summer protest and lo and behold, it appeared in their newspaper (ironically, owned by Babiš) the next day.

The population of the Czech Republic has 10.65m people, so the magic mark for 3.5% stands at around 375,000 people.

Below a comparison of the protests in November 1989 and November 2019 from iDnes, a daily newspaper.

The next months promise to be interesting....
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2019, 11:16:09 AM »

That's a fabulous post, thank you.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: November 19, 2019, 11:57:36 AM »

Wow! I never knew I didn't know that.

Thanks mulhuzz.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: