blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:06:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272572 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  An Idiot and His Cat: A Diary
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: An Idiot and His Cat: A Diary  (Read 35390 times)
mulhuzz

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2015, 07:37:18 PM »

Today was going to be one of those days; I just knew it.

For a start, I'd already agreed to join a group of workmates and form a Cricket team to take on a touring Old Boys team from England and Prague Cricket Club - who make up a decent proportion of the Czech National Team. Suffice it to say, I didn't hear a lot of Czech being spoken. These boys were expats and loved their cricket.

Our team was formed as a response to one of our Clients being the Captain of the old boys touring team, and, as you know, you never say know to the guy who pays the bills. We agreed on a little T20 round robin format and having watched the first game because all of our team - apart from the Qualified Umpire who did just that, umpired; had not played cricket at any serious or unserious level and worse still, three of them were Americans who thought they were coming to play 'the one like the NFL, not the one like Baseball'.

Anyway, we lost quite heavily despite my own glorious contribution which amounted to dressing as a wicketkeeper and shouting 'bowling Warney' after each wide or cover drive to the boundary.

The other teams took it a but seriously for my liking - I wasn't really a fan of some of the comments which were either supposed to be 'banter' or actually were 'banter', but 'cricket banter'. In short, absolutely terrible.

But I digress, of course.

On the way back from Ctělnice - which roughly translates as '12 miles past nowhere' and with quite a lot of sunburn, I received the following picture message, accompanied by the note 'pls don't be mad?'

Click to see full-size image.

We are now cat owners. My better half had been to the flea market this morning, and, non-native as she is, thought that the idea was to bring back fleas. She found $nameless cat between two old food stalls near the flea market and covered in mud. Clearly the cat needed rescuing so she brought it home.

So far, so good....

The only thing is, dearest Blonde, that I have no idea what I'm doing. I've never had an adult cat, much less rescued a kitten.

So, cat owners of Blonde, I ask you:

What now?

So far we've bathed him and put Front Line on him, fed and watered but he won't let us clean his ears.

He also needs a name. Preferably unisex because we aren't 100% convinced he is boy cat yet. (Interesting fact: the German words for 'tomcat' and hangover are the same, if you're suffering from the night before you have a tomcat...I hope that doesn't ring true for us!)

He is class though - very purry, inquisitive and will be very fun. We were going to previously adopt a dog from the Shelters here, but that's quite hard to do if you're not Czech (they won't give to people they aren't convinced won't leave the cat here again later...) so now we have $nameless.

I think he will be awesome and will tell some stories as I go from 'man who can barely take care of himself' (my dad, sept 2015) to cat owner.

Your input would be amazingly appreciated.
UgotNuts

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 07:56:24 PM »

Nice start to your blog. Good luck with it!

I would be inclined to register it with a vet and take it across for a check up. Pets at home are good and resonable on the price front. Next I would get some cat insurance, just for those expensive emergencies. Next up give it a name?
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 08:43:42 PM »

For a name I suggest... Razz.

Cute cat. I want to hear about cat adventures!
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 08:45:56 PM »

As for  name, those beginning with S or t are good for cats, they recognise the sounds apparently.

Wouldn't worry about cleaning the ears, Cats wash themselves and can be very particular about where they are touched. You will soon find out when 'petting' a cat as it will likely bite/scratch you when you touch them somewhere they do not want to be touched.

Worming tablet, in addition to flea control is usually good. We get ours from the vet, they seem to work much better than the shop bought stuff.
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 08:58:58 PM »

As for  name, those beginning with S or t are good for cats, they recognise the sounds apparently.

You'll have to name him Tikay then...
OverTheBorder

just one of those days

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 09:01:07 PM »

My cats are called Glitter and Bling, so I should probably not chip in to this debate
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 09:28:22 PM »

Call him Toon?

Don't let him out of your house for at least two weeks, otherwise he probably won't come back.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 09:40:41 PM »

From this angle the black marking over his right eye looks like a frog.

The older I get, the better I was.
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 09:52:32 PM »

Call him Toon?

Don't let him out of your house for at least two weeks, otherwise he probably won't come back.

Winner. Toon it is.

Thanks for the advice people. Appt at Vet tomorrow!
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 09:55:07 PM »

Incred, I've had about 10 cats, never been allowed to name any of them.

Cheers mull. Touched 😢

mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 10:02:57 PM »

Cheers mull. Touched 😢

I will continue to call it Toon, can't speak for Jil.
She doesn't want to call it 'Toon' because it's a 'silly word and not English'.

That said, I've just walked in and she's talking to the cat in Luxembourgish because, and I quote 'my cat will be bilingual'.

Christ.

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 10:08:12 PM »

Cheers mull. Touched 😢

I will continue to call it Toon, can't speak for Jil.
She doesn't want to call it 'Toon' because it's a 'silly word and not English'.

That said, I've just walked in and she's talking to the cat in Luxembourgish because, and I quote 'my cat will be bilingual'.

Christ.

Hahaha

mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 07:27:08 PM »

First round of basic injections today at friendly vet.

We took a friend to translate if needed but although the vet didn't speak much English he spoke a decent level of German so we could understand what was going on etc.

Got the 'basic catch all (part one)' injection and some worming/flea/all that stuff drops that we need to start using tomorrow.

Here's the aftermath:

Back in three weeks for part two of the basic catch all injection.

Vet said his health for a street cat was pretty incredible so we think it's pretty likely he's been dumped and wasn't 'born on the streets'. Found out that he's definitely male and is now registered as 'Toon' at the vet.

Have to say I was expecting to be spending close to 100eur just for the injections/tablets but so far we've spent £21 and by the time he's chipped and eventually spayed it'll be no more than £50 in total.

I suspect, but I don't know, that it would be wayyyy more in England. I guess they have to make it affordable for Czechs as well when you consider that almost one in two households here has a dog (dogs more than cats tbh) and the average wage is smt like £750/month (close to 700 if you only consider Czechs and even less than 600 outside of city) then I guess the pricing makes sense.

Very delighted that he's managed to find the litter tray first time and he'll be allowed out of his bathroom quarantine in two days once the drops have fully taken affect.
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 08:06:30 PM »

Cat thinks he is parrot.

Makes me a pirate?

Deal.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 08:19:45 PM »

Wouldn't worry about cleaning the ears, Cats wash themselves and can be very particular about where they are touched. You will soon find out when 'petting' a cat as it will likely bite/scratch you when you touch them somewhere they do not want to be touched.

Worming tablet, in addition to flea control is usually good. We get ours from the vet, they seem to work much better than the shop bought stuff.

We had two cats called spot and Trevor.  We found one getting tortured by kids on a campsite.  They were throwing it in the paddling pool over and over.  He had a big spot on him, and Spot the Cat was amusing to a bunch of kids.  One of my mates reckoned all cats answer to Trevor , so the 2nd one was Trevor.  It was abandoned too, but we picked it at a rescue centre.  My mum still goes on about how much she disliked having to shout "Trevor" from the door at night to get him in. 

Toon obviously a good name, but bet he'll come if you shout Trevor.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: