blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:08:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Noisy Neighbours - the Man City thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Noisy Neighbours - the Man City thread  (Read 399948 times)
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 04:12:05 PM »

The £5 tickets were for U16's only, adult tickets started at £30 depending on where in the ground you were seated. Can't argue with prices like that, and the stadium was close to full last night. Atmosphere was a bit flat though, and scatterings of Juve fans in various home sections didn't help. One behind me 'outed' himself after 10 mins with the offside goal; leapt to his feet, arms outstretched letting out a huge roar. Suffice to say he wasn't popular, and the stewards turfed him out.

I was in the Stoke end for the cup final 2011. Most surreal 90 mins of my life. Upon leaving Wembley and meeting back up with my Dad and some of his mates, I couldn't express my joy as I'd surpressed my emotions for the last 2 hours. I was over the moon and beaming inside but to anyone looking my way I probably looked miserable. My concerns that I'd be recognised as not a Stoke fan due to having 4 fingers and a thumb on each hand proved unfounded Wink

Best Bitter.
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2015, 04:15:56 PM »

The £5 tickets were for U16's only, adult tickets started at £30 depending on where in the ground you were seated. Can't argue with prices like that, and the stadium was close to full last night. Atmosphere was a bit flat though, and scatterings of Juve fans in various home sections didn't help. One behind me 'outed' himself after 10 mins with the offside goal; leapt to his feet, arms outstretched letting out a huge roar. Suffice to say he wasn't popular, and the stewards turfed him out.

I was in the Stoke end for the cup final 2011. Most surreal 90 mins of my life. Upon leaving Wembley and meeting back up with my Dad and some of his mates, I couldn't express my joy as I'd surpressed my emotions for the last 2 hours. I was over the moon and beaming inside but to anyone looking my way I probably looked miserable. My concerns that I'd be recognised as not a Stoke fan due to having 4 fingers and a thumb on each hand proved unfounded Wink

Ive sat in the wrong end quite a bit never had much of an issue with it, being from a rugby background though I hate the fact football will never have unsegregated seating because the fans are such nobs.

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2015, 04:24:59 PM »

Ive sat in the wrong end quite a bit never had much of an issue with it, being from a rugby background though I hate the fact football will never have unsegregated seating because the fans are such nobs.

How did you behave whilst in the wrong end? Did you celebrate any goals? Do anything that might have given you away? I've sat in the 'wrong' end a couple of times, don't like doing it but needs must. I just sit on my hands and try to enjoy the game as much as possible. Problems arise when fans celebrate as if they are surrounded by their own, it doesn't tend to go down well with the locals. Think if you go in the home end as an away fan, you have to respect the fact you shouldn't really be there and act accordingly.

There are way too many rivalries in football for there to ever be unsegregated seating. Wouldn't like to see it in the modern game either, its already diluted enough and this would make it worse.

Best Bitter.
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2015, 06:14:18 PM »

I like City more than any of the current Champions League clubs for two reasons:

1. They aren't United, Chelsea or Arsenal.

2. David Silva plays for them.

I approve of this post Smiley

I'm a veteran City supporter of approaching 1000 live games and he is the best I've seen and my all-time favourite player. He was seriously off his game last night tho.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2015, 06:30:11 PM »

I like City more than any of the current Champions League clubs for two reasons:

I'm a veteran City supporter of approaching 1000 live games and he is the best I've seen and my all-time favourite player. He was seriously off his game last night tho.

I am a fan of old man city, as a football watcher

does your 1000 games stretch back as far as bell, summerbee and franny lee?

i remember maine road fondly...a very wet wednesday we won 1-0 there with huge puddles on the pitch, mark robins with the winner....93/94 it might have been. we went down anyway!

saw us get done 5-1 and 6-1 there too mind...

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2015, 06:30:49 PM »

How did you behave whilst in the wrong end? Did you celebrate any goals? Do anything that might have given you away? I've sat in the 'wrong' end a couple of times, don't like doing it but needs must. I just sit on my hands and try to enjoy the game as much as possible. Problems arise when fans celebrate as if they are surrounded by their own, it doesn't tend to go down well with the locals. Think if you go in the home end as an away fan, you have to respect the fact you shouldn't really be there and act accordingly.

There are way too many rivalries in football for there to ever be unsegregated seating. Wouldn't like to see it in the modern game either, its already diluted enough and this would make it worse.

Of course I wouldn't celebrate, but by the end of the game most of the people around me would know I was supporting united, normally through chatting rather than rubbing it in there faces.

If the guy next to me had his club's crest tattooed to his face I probably wouldn't bring it up.

I dont buy the rivalries argument, the Scottish hate the English yet with very minimal trouble manage to have unsegregated seating at rugby games, I would say that hatred runs a lot deeper than City/United hatred but there is also respect and decency mixed in, which football fans dont seem to have.

On Saturday morning I saw two lads walking down the street in my village, football in hand probably around 9/10 years old, one with a Liverpool shirt on one with a United shirt on. For me that is what football is about, when I said this in the pub before the game 9/10 of the group agreed but one older fella was massively against it, and then it got me thinking, is it the vocal minority ruining it for the silent majority. Probably, was my answer to that, there is atmosphere at rugby matches and there is more prawn sandwiches than in Old Trafford there!

I am not saying we need to unsegregated premiership football stadiums but the attitudes football fans have is horrendous and it has got to the point that kids have segregation on the sidelines which is crazy.

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2015, 06:41:32 PM »

I have always wondered where you would place Manchester City historically in terms of club size? 10 years ago they was a nothing club and now they are a something club. Has the ground made a huge impact also?

Are Man City bigger club historically then Everton? WHU? Newcastle? Spurs? I am curious to see what people think when you think about Man City's recent success
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2015, 06:57:55 PM »

I think if you say "historically" then possibly lower than all three teams mentioned and the likes of Villa etc.

Mainly because there success is in the present and here and now. In 20 years time I have a sad feeling they will be part of the furniture at the top table of European football. City are doing a lot of work to build a brand now and not just a great team on the pitch like they have done over the past 5 years.

"ace high"

DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2015, 07:02:25 PM »

I have always wondered where you would place Manchester City historically in terms of club size? 10 years ago they was a nothing club and now they are a something club. Has the ground made a huge impact also?

Are Man City bigger club historically then Everton? WHU? Newcastle? Spurs? I am curious to see what people think when you think about Man City's recent success

When I was a kid in the 80s I always felt City were a big club.  Wednesday as well for that matter.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2015, 07:09:40 PM »

I am a fan of old man city, as a football watcher

does your 1000 games stretch back as far as bell, summerbee and franny lee?

i remember maine road fondly...a very wet wednesday we won 1-0 there with huge puddles on the pitch, mark robins with the winner....93/94 it might have been. we went down anyway!

saw us get done 5-1 and 6-1 there too mind...

Ooh, now we are talking. I was a bit of a fan earlier than that I think -  Corrigan, Tueart (sp?), Mick Channon, Willie Donachie, Asa Hartford, Niall Quinn, Colin Hendry.

Loved Bell & Summerbee, & I met Franny Lee a few times though John Kirkland. Franny was not one to back off easily, was he?

This was probably in his Derby days. Don't see much of this these days.......

Nice hair, killer shirt & crucial jacket though.

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2015, 07:28:49 PM »

Of course I wouldn't celebrate, but by the end of the game most of the people around me would know I was supporting united, normally through chatting rather than rubbing it in there faces.

If the guy next to me had his club's crest tattooed to his face I probably wouldn't bring it up.

I dont buy the rivalries argument, the Scottish hate the English yet with very minimal trouble manage to have unsegregated seating at rugby games, I would say that hatred runs a lot deeper than City/United hatred but there is also respect and decency mixed in, which football fans dont seem to have.

On Saturday morning I saw two lads walking down the street in my village, football in hand probably around 9/10 years old, one with a Liverpool shirt on one with a United shirt on. For me that is what football is about, when I said this in the pub before the game 9/10 of the group agreed but one older fella was massively against it, and then it got me thinking, is it the vocal minority ruining it for the silent majority. Probably, was my answer to that, there is atmosphere at rugby matches and there is more prawn sandwiches than in Old Trafford there!

I am not saying we need to unsegregated premiership football stadiums but the attitudes football fans have is horrendous and it has got to the point that kids have segregation on the sidelines which is crazy.

My point about rivalries was that it extends much further than just your local teams these days. We have history with clubs as far away as Spurs and Middlesbrough, so whilst one week we might be playing Sunderland and there is no beef there, the following weeks we could be playing Stoke, Boro, Chelsea and Liverpool, all games that just could never have fans mixed in together. Rugby fans do seem to be much more civilised and less tribal.....but its just not football Smiley

Best Bitter.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2015, 07:32:33 PM »

I would say so, yes - their Honours Board is pretty decent.

http://www.11v11.com/teams/manchester-city/tab/honours

Can Everton, Spurs, Newcastle & WHU beat that?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2015, 07:41:22 PM »

definitely a big club. diffuclt to compare to everton, newcastle etc but that sort of size

fa cup winners in the 60s

top 2 in the league in the 70s

fa cup finals in the 80s

only went downhill late 80s-90s etc and stayed there until the money came in

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2015, 07:41:43 PM »

Bit of a grey area and really depends on how you measure these things. Pre takeover, we'd won the league twice, FA cup 4 times, League cup twice, a European trophy, so we had some scattered success (70s being the key era) but also plenty of barren spells. We still hold the record for home attendance (over 80k at Maine Road vs Stoke way back when). I'd certainly say pre 2008 we are on a relative par with clubs like Villa, Everton, Newcastle etc. Obviously since the investment we've managed to pull away from that group in terms of revenue and whatnot, plus added a few more trophies to the cabinet.

Interesting you should mention Everton and Newcastle, as if you believe what you read, Sheik Mansour was looking at those 2 (plus Arsenal) before he purchased City. Arsenal were limited in that they were already well established, and I believe both Everton and Newcastle were snubbed due to matters away from football. The thing that worked in City's favour was there was a real sense of being a 'sleeping giant', but also that whole area of east Manchester was available and could be used for something (couldn't do that at Newcastle as their ground is in the city centre). It's taken a lot of time and money, but the wasteland that surrounded the Etihad is now of course our CFA amongst other things.

Had we still been at Maine Road, there isn't a chance in hell he'd have taken a look at us!

Best Bitter.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2015, 07:49:01 PM »

I would say so, yes - their Honours Board is pretty decent.

http://www.11v11.com/teams/manchester-city/tab/honours

Can Everton, Spurs, Newcastle & WHU beat that?

City have a proper history, one that pre-dates the current regime, one that stands comparison with Spura and Everton, and surpasses Newcastle and WHU.
Bell, Summerbee, Lee were greats of their time.
Mind you, they used to buy our discarded strikers back then too
http://www.corbisimages.com/images/Corbis-42-36073673.jpg?size=67&uid=f90cb3c1-1ec7-4fb0-9667-9ee64c4da74e

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: