blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:01:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Noisy Neighbours - the Man City thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Noisy Neighbours - the Man City thread  (Read 402676 times)
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2015, 10:30:50 AM »

Talking of Managers, the Media told us that Pelligrini was on his way out of the door at the end of last season, & it would not have been a surprise.

Next I heard, he had been offered, & signed, a new Contract.

How that work?

Seems to happen to that old duffer on Skuy regularly.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2015, 01:00:10 PM »

Talking of Managers, the Media told us that Pelligrini was on his way out of the door at the end of last season, & it would not have been a surprise.

Next I heard, he had been offered, & signed, a new Contract.

How that work?

It's an open secret that City want Pep Guardiola. Soriano (City CEO) and Begiristain (City DoF)  at City are close to him having worked with him at Barcelona. Maybe it is a done deal already for next summer.

City's strong finish to last season no doubt helped Pellegrini's cause and helped him avoid the sack as the media were suggesting (also many City fans were hoping he was given the push as well for his supposed tactical ineptitude and his persistence of playing 4 2 2 in big games). I have no doubts Pellegrini is fully aware of the situation with Guadiola, he gets on well with his bosses in contrast to the abrasive Mancini, and the new deal was a suitable reward. Also, it stops the media witch hunt at every press conference asking about his future. Also, supposedly, players don't perform for a manager when they know he won't be there much longer. The new contract puts that to bed as well.

hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2015, 10:02:41 PM »

Which is more significant in city history

Beating gillingham in that playoff final or

Manchester winning the bid for the Commonwealth Games.

Didn't city have a 100k gate back in the day?

Good question! I think Gillingham trumps any event in our recent history (yes, even QPR). If we hadn't got out of Division 2 at the first attempt then we were doomed. And we made a real mess of it but eventually stumbled over the line.

Winning the CG was certainly a happy accident as I know the club were on the lookout for a new stadium (anyone who went to Maine Road in our final few seasons there will understand why, what with the open stands in the corners!), and there is a trail of increased fortune since moving in at Eastlands, but I'm not sure that trail would have started had we been stuck in Div 2 heading into the new millennium.

Yeah I mentioned it above, we still hold the record home attendance, though it was more like 86k than 100k, vs Stoke in a cup game many years ago. Wonder how long that record will last?

My post count has rocketed today, blame Tikay Smiley

Well at least it's keeping you out of trouble next door, right?

Am pleased with how Day One of this thread has gone, very pleased. The real test comes after the gloss wears off.

Am still a little surprised at the prices for Man C v West Ham this weekend. I'm not sure about "value", but there's not much meat on the bone with Man C @ 1/4 or thereabouts, whereas West Ham @ up to 14/1 must be close to value. West Ham have looked really lively this year - I fancy their new Manager is a bit handy. Be even handier if we could understand what he was saying.     

Agreed about the WHU price being pretty attractive. I would never bet against City of course, but if I wasn't 'emotionally involved' then I could see myself having a couple of quid on the Hammers. I also thought Juventus were generous odds on Tuesday; think they were generally 9/2 with us 4/5.

Can you imagine 10 years ago, when we had the expertise of Mills and Thatcher as our full backs, that fast forward a decade and we'd be odds on favourites vs the Italian champions and CL runners up....

Never boring being a City fan these days.

Best Bitter.
swinebag22

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2015, 02:32:57 AM »

Dithered over starting a similar thread for weeks. Thanks Tikay for starting it. I will try and contribute a few musings over time. Good to see a few Blues on here. I also think 'flushthemout' is a city fan too.

Looking forward to seeing more Emptyhad pics and ECL posts from the haters too 😃
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2015, 02:39:31 AM »

Recently bought one of the value gold season tickets. £299. Even taking into consideration that the first 2 home games have passed, it still works out at just £17 a game.

Been allocated a seat right by the halfway line as well.

Ruining football since 2008.

Best Bitter.
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2015, 05:56:33 AM »

Dithered over starting a similar thread for weeks. Thanks Tikay for starting it. I will try and contribute a few musings over time. Good to see a few Blues on here. I also think 'flushthemout' is a city fan too.

Looking forward to seeing more Emptyhad pics and ECL posts from the haters too 😃

Made me smile this and I'm in the same camp - all criticism of City welcome in here IMO.  I'm sure hhyftrftdr feels the same way with his "ruining football since 2008" stance. 

Archer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2015, 06:06:58 AM »

Recently bought one of the value gold season tickets. £299. Even taking into consideration that the first 2 home games have passed, it still works out at just £17 a game.

Been allocated a seat right by the halfway line as well.

Ruining football since 2008.

Incredible value and I see they've reached the limit now.   Must be around 43,000 season ticket holders now including the Premium seats.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2015, 08:54:22 AM »

Amazing we never had the thread, but we seem to be finding a few fans, so all good. Up to you guys to keep the thread buzzing.

I am enjoying the way you guys don't mind poking fun at yourselves. Some fans get a bit precious about their clubs, & their s-o-h goes out of the window.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2015, 09:41:42 AM »

Man City and to a lesser extent Arsenal are the only "big 5" clubs I don't find grating when they are successful.  Not sure why this is.  Think it's the fans.

Man Utd's success was miserable and Liverpool were unbearable in the late 80s/early 90s.   

swinebag22

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2015, 10:42:52 AM »

Man City and to a lesser extent Arsenal are the only "big 5" clubs I don't find grating when they are successful.  Not sure why this is.  Think it's the fans.

Man Utd's success was miserable and Liverpool were unbearable in the late 80s/early 90s.   

Yes I remember the headline in the Daily Mash a few years back when Liverpool should have won the title.

"Liverpool, 3 games from being unbearable again"

Most City fans have a pretty decent perspective and don't forget where they were

Most games you can hear us sing 'we were here when we were shit'

If the sheiks ever pull out, we'll go back to being a lower mid table club, but the fans will still turn out
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2015, 11:12:20 AM »

Yes I remember the headline in the Daily Mash a few years back when Liverpool should have won the title.

Most City fans have a pretty decent perspective and don't forget where they were

If the sheiks ever pull out, we'll go back to being a lower mid table club, but the fans will still turn out

Do you think you would fill your newly expanded stadium week in week out if you go back to being a lower mid table club, i dont think so.

The die hards would stay but there are not enough die hards to fill it week in week out. (at proper prices)

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2015, 12:30:42 PM »

Amazing we never had the thread, but we seem to be finding a few fans, so all good. Up to you guys to keep the thread buzzing.

I am enjoying the way you guys don't mind poking fun at yourselves. Some fans get a bit precious about their clubs, & their s-o-h goes out of the window.

Oh we love to take the piss out of ourselves.

But remember Tikay, since getting rich 7 years ago, Man City are the sole reason why England have been shite for the last 50 years. Don't forget this.

Best Bitter.
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2015, 12:59:18 PM »

Do you think you would fill your newly expanded stadium week in week out if you go back to being a lower mid table club, i dont think so.

The die hards would stay but there are not enough die hards to fill it week in week out. (at proper prices)

We still have to consistently fill the expanded new stadium as a top of the table club yet Smiley You have to remember that City inflate the attendances for FFP purposes. Well, in the eyes of Liverpool fans on RAWK anyway.....

10 years ago the average attendance at the new stadium was c45,000. The low point since was under Pierce in 2006/2007 when it dipped to c40,000. Now that was really shit - scored 10 goals at home ALL season.

Anyway, I don't think we have to worry about the owners leaving just yet as they increasingly get into bed with the council. Here  is an extract from something I saw just yesterday:

According to JLL, plans are in the pipeline for 12 towers containing 4,450 homes in a city which is due to grow by 20% over the next 20 years. At the moment over 2,300 residential units are under construction in Manchester. It has become a profitable business with prices rising to a top of £425 a sq.ft.

The commercial market underpins this optimism with strong take up and new development, one of which is a plan for a 92,900 sq.metres (1 million sq.ft.) office campus in a redevelopment area around Manchester City Football Club’s Etihad stadium.

The scheme is being worked on by the city council and football club owners, Abu Dhabi United Group.

As part of the scheme a large amount of ageing industrial stock will be refurbished. As elsewhere in Manchester the arrival of a new Metrolink station will help the scheme. There are now seven Metrolink lines with 92 stations and more to come.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2015, 01:01:15 PM »

an all time City XI that you have seen

NOT including players currently at the club

thank you

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2015, 01:32:08 PM »

In the depths of my memory I have a vague recollection of Dennis Law playing for citeh(sorry met couldn't resist).

The reason I remember this is because playing in an FA cup tie he had scored all six goals when the match was abandoned - because of fog I think - with the score 6-2.

When the match was replayed the following week city lost 3-1.

*Just had to ninja edit the scores after googling.

** It was in 1961 by way of an excuse.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 01:36:46 PM by Karabiner » Logged

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: