blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:46:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  A complete lottery
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A complete lottery  (Read 3079 times)
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 08:50:07 PM »

Is there a website that works out the EV of the weeks ticket?

Most weeks it is £2 cost , EV £1 but some weeks the rollover must make it +ev

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 08:53:34 PM »

Quite suprised that in a forum fuill of punters, hardly anyone does the lottery Cheesy  Too shrewd I guess.

Just watched the video link. Not keen on the increase in numbers, I didn't realise that was happening.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 09:13:34 PM »

Didn't realise it had moved to £2 and the 59 numbers have changed.  Seems a stupid move to me.  All the big syndicates will just spend the same on half the number of lines and the £1 throwaway casual punters might be put off playing at all.  What is the aim of the changes?  More rollovers as it is harder to win?  Seems crazy to double the price of playing at the same time as making it several times harder to win it.
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 10:42:27 PM »

It doubled a while ago

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2015, 10:44:04 PM »

Didn't realise it had moved to £2 and the 59 numbers have changed.  Seems a stupid move to me.  All the big syndicates will just spend the same on half the number of lines and the £1 throwaway casual punters might be put off playing at all.  What is the aim of the changes?  More rollovers as it is harder to win?  Seems crazy to double the price of playing at the same time as making it several times harder to win it.

They want to give a prize of £1m every time (done via the raffle numbers), then multiple roleovers to get some big headline prizes.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 10:52:17 PM »

They want to give a prize of £1m every time (done via the raffle numbers), then multiple roleovers to get some big headline prizes.

Cheers.  I don't follow the lottery at all so have no idea about changes etc.  How does the raffle work to gtd £1m every draw?
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2015, 07:26:41 AM »

Cheers.  I don't follow the lottery at all so have no idea about changes etc.  How does the raffle work to gtd £1m every draw?

In addition to your 6numbers you get a unique second set of numbers letters eg gold 1234 5678 - then one of those gets the mil, at the moment this code gets one of 50 £20 k prizes

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2015, 09:25:16 AM »

Is there a website that works out the EV of the weeks ticket?

Most weeks it is £2 cost , EV £1 but some weeks the rollover must make it +ev

Even if it is EV+ with a rollover, the chance of realising the EV is obviously minuscule.  One other issue is the marginal utility of the bigger prize is less than a standard jackpot.  If I ran the lottery I would find a way to distribute the rollover money into the smaller prizes, this would have the effect of getting more people buying tickets thus increasing the jackpot while giving lots more people a little prize and encouraging them to continue playing.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2015, 09:46:49 AM »

Are Premium Bonds still in existence?

Always thought they were a decent investment. You forego interest, but that interest becomes the prize fund.

Once a week there was a draw, but here's the thing - if you never won, you still had your ticket (unlike the Lottery) & you went in the draw the next week, & the week after, & so on. Pay your quid, & you were in every draw forever more. How good was that?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2015, 02:59:48 PM »

Always thought they were a decent investment. You forego interest, but that interest becomes the prize fund.

Once a week there was a draw, but here's the thing - if you never won, you still had your ticket (unlike the Lottery) & you went in the draw the next week, & the week after, & so on. Pay your quid, & you were in every draw forever more. How good was that?

Yes they are. My Dad regularly gets £25 and £50 wins which he reinvests. Still waiting for the big one.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2015, 05:21:57 PM »

Mrs C has a few premium bonds, does OKish out of it. Good thing is the money isn't going anywhere, bad thing is that there are only 2 jackpot winners so it's even less chance of winning than the lottery.

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2015, 05:49:30 PM »

Yup, notionally pay 1.35% interest so probably a little better than a standard savings account if you run averagely. If you have dead money that you don't intend to be more speculative with, and with interest rates so low, there's worse places to stick the odd 50K if you have that lying around.

Additional benefit of money being totally secure with NS&I - well unless there's a zombie apocalypse or summat in which case it doesn't really matter

sola virtus nobilitat
lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2015, 05:52:24 PM »

After a quick search online, you get a return of about what the interest rate, whatever that may be.

<3 ENSUING
stato_1 said, "banoffee pie i reckon"
stato_1 said, "this is delicious"
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: