blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:48:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272596 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Breaking the graph
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Breaking the graph  (Read 3483 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 09:50:29 AM »

goo.gl/ReiJUf 

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 09:52:19 AM »

Those famous climate sceptics in the USA have this to say. 

http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 10:56:29 AM »

But the point here is the scale is hugely relevant as it only takes small incremental changes to have dramatic effects on climate. So to say "oh they've just zoomed in" shows a fundamental misunderstanding on the point and value of graphs in a scientific context.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 11:18:09 AM »

But the point here is the scale is hugely relevant as it only takes small incremental changes to have dramatic effects on climate. So to say "oh they've just zoomed in" shows a fundamental misunderstanding on the point and value of graphs in a scientific context.

Completely.

If I was drawing a graph of average global temperature it seems only natural to have the axis go down to -10F (water freezes at 32F)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 12:28:07 PM »

This year is likely to be the warmest on record, U.N. says http://on.wsj.com/1PYxA3I 

My eyes are open wide
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2015, 01:41:00 PM »

This year is likely to be the warmest on record, U.N. says http://on.wsj.com/1PYxA3I 

That reminds me of something that one of my fiancee's lecturers has said. His view is more from geological era's, it was something like; if a meteorite hits the planet - it alters the climate; if their's a massive super volcano - it alters the climate; if humans industrialise etc - it alters the climate. i.e. whatever we think of as man made - is still a natural event just like any of the other major events that have drastically altered the planet in the past. The worst case scenario is that we change the climate so much we die - but that doesn't really affect the planet.

It just reminds me whenever anybody says they're saving the planet, they're not - the planet doesn't care it will carry on in some form whatever happens.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2015, 06:24:02 PM »

Six graphics that explain climate change

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-5aceb360-8bc3-4741-99f0-2e4f76ca02bb

My eyes are open wide
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2015, 07:59:23 PM »

Thank God Jim Inhofe is head of the American environment committee.

murica fuk yeh    
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2015, 08:59:10 PM »

That reminds me of something that one of my fiancee's lecturers has said. His view is more from geological era's, it was something like; if a meteorite hits the planet - it alters the climate; if their's a massive super volcano - it alters the climate; if humans industrialise etc - it alters the climate. i.e. whatever we think of as man made - is still a natural event just like any of the other major events that have drastically altered the planet in the past. The worst case scenario is that we change the climate so much we die - but that doesn't really affect the planet.

It just reminds me whenever anybody says they're saving the planet, they're not - the planet doesn't care it will carry on in some form whatever happens.

This person has taken the modern take on the word "literally" and taken it so absurdly far the other it has really puzzled me. I don't really get it. Has anyone ever thought that saving the planet meant preventing the destruction of the earth? Or just preventing the destruction of our planet as a place humans can inhabit

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2015, 07:30:32 PM »

Paris climate talks: governments adopt historic deal

"

Governments have signalled an end to the fossil fuel era, committing for the first time to a universal agreement to cut greenhouse gas emissions and to avoid the most dangerous effects of climate change at crunch UN talks in Paris.

After 20 years of fraught meetings, including the past two weeks spent in an exhibition hall on the outskirts of Paris, negotiators from nearly 200 countries signed on to a deal on Saturday evening that set ambitious goals to limit temperature rise and to hold governments to account for reaching those targets.

François Hollande, the French president, appealed to negotiators to approve the 31-page text, and said countries had a rare chance to make history. “We are at a decisive point in time,” he said.
"

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/live/2015/dec/12/paris-climate-talks-francois-hollande-to-join-summit-as-final-draft-published-live?CMP=share_btn_tw

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2015, 07:55:26 PM »

oh

The Paris Climate Treaty is scandalously expensive – and utterly useless says Bjorn Lomborg: http://bit.ly/1OZkZvK

My eyes are open wide
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: