blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:39:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  No one in the business world gives away expertise for free.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: No one in the business world gives away expertise for free.  (Read 3718 times)
mikeymike

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2015, 08:23:10 PM »

This was put in a paragraph of a thread i started - and i stated it was the biggest bollocks statement i have ever heard

Lets say that your starting off in poker and you admire a well known player - just ping them a question and nine times out of ten you will get a reply - as the majority of successful people want to pass there knowledge on.

If you looking for a job at a certain company - write to the Chairman/MD asking them what there looking for in the people they recruit.

Most people want to help other people - those people who think there experts and dismiss other people - usually know jack shit so just ignore them and find somebody else

Two weeks ago i saw a companies product that i would like to use on a job - i rang up the head honcho in Germany who took my call - i explained that i liked the companies product and would like to use it on the job - but it was to expensive for me to use - could he recommend some other options - 2 days later i get a call from their UK MD - who then comes out to see me - explains the benefit of his companies product -  result they offer to supply the product to me at cost price - why because i showed an interest - now saved myself 10k

Remember the majority of famous and successful people were just people before fame and money came to them - most people want to help
shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 08:27:37 PM »

In the words of Mrs Doyle, that's nice
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 08:39:02 PM »

Most people in the business world give discounts or freebies to drag people in.

After that they will charge a premium for there services.

If i kept giving things away for free as a long term plan I would go bust very quickly!

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 09:02:19 PM »

how do you know he sold you the product at cost price?  Do you have access to his costs?  He is hardly going to tell you he sold you said product at 100% mark up on his cost price is he?  I really do wonder Mike if you are a troll like lil dave says.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 09:07:04 PM by arbboy » Logged
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 09:18:35 PM »

how do you know he sold you the product at cost price?  Do you have access to his costs?  He is hardly going to tell you he sold you said product at 100% mark up on his cost price is he?  I really do wonder Mike if you are a troll like lil dave says.

yeah good point I often say the lowest I can go is £x otherwise i am not making any money. Obviously this is not true I am still making something just not as much as if i had sold you my product at £y

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
mikeymike

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 09:25:44 PM »

your both missing the point - the company turnover is in the hundreds of millions - they normally only deal with companies such as travis perkins the big boys - the md in germany took my call because he was intrigued why somebody was ringing him from the uk. and as it so happens i know the price they sell it to the builders merchant for and the mark up the builders merchant charges

one of my mates is a manager at wolsleys a multi billion pound business - though he asked me to get him a boiler from elsewhere because i can get it at a better price than he can even with his staff discount

its the old adage its not necessarily what you know its who you know and how you treat them

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 09:34:42 PM »

why do u get so well looked after mike by these multi zillion pound turnover companies?  What do you give back to them to get such treatment?
mikeymike

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 09:35:25 PM »

just thought i would post this

i smoke - fags are expensive - an chap from eastern Europe who works for me occasionally has a brother who is a lorry driver - he does not smoke but brings his brother 4 packs a month - which his brother then gives to me and i pay him the price his brother paid - no mark up - no catches - just delivered  
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 09:37:38 PM »

just thought i would post this

i smoke - fags are expensive - an chap from eastern Europe who works for me occasionally has a brother who is a lorry driver - he does not smoke but brings his brother 4 packs a month - which his brother then gives to me and i pay him the price his brother paid - no mark up - no catches - just delivered  

How do you know what price his brother pays?  Does he supply an invoice?  I doubt it he will pay in cash.  I have come back from holiday selling duty free tobacco to 'friend's' at 'cost price' but i add on a mark up to 'cost price' because they have no idea what cost price was because they weren't there when i bought the stuff.  They are still happy to pay my 'cost price' because it is 40% less than the uk retail price.
mikeymike

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 09:39:52 PM »

when you realise its not about the money - its about the people life gets easy - i do favours for people everyday its the circle of life
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 09:41:23 PM »

when you realise its not about the money - its about the people life gets easy - i do favours for people everyday its the circle of life

That is fine but you keep saying you get things at cost price.  No favours. blah blah but you have zero proof this is actually the case.  That is my point.  You will always get told this because they want the sale.  If i am wrong it is a lovely life having people supply you with goods and services constantly at cost price and they do all the work for you with no reward for themselves at all.  Enjoy (or wake up and realise the reality)
mikeymike

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 09:41:49 PM »

because the price is stamped on the side of the packet -
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 09:46:45 PM »

He works for you therefore there's an implied benefit.

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
mikeymike

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 09:55:20 PM »

jason mercier - just gave 4 tickets away to the dolphins game - free of charge - why because he is a decent guy - he gains no benefit

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 10:00:16 PM »

jason mercier - just gave 4 tickets away to the dolphins game - free of charge - why because he is a decent guy - he gains no benefit

PR, increased twitter followers, equals bigger fee from stars when he sells his sponsorship services.  Nothing is 'free' my friend.  He will be getting something out of it otherwise he would just give them to his closest friends quietly and you would never ever know.  Why do you know?  Because he is buying PR and millions like you fall for the 'nice guy' bullshit.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: