blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:54:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The Next President of the United States
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 ... 308 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Next President of the United States  (Read 670859 times)
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1380 on: November 15, 2016, 06:04:35 PM »

this is a full on rant

John Oliver on Trump: 'A Klan-backed misogynist internet troll' is president

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/nov/14/john-oliver-trump-wins-election-last-week-tonight?CMP=share_btn_tw

Love John Oliver but this really highlights to me how poor the Guardian has become. This is basically writing down the whole episode and serving it up as a journalistic article - there's no analysis of what's being said, or additional input made to the argument. It would be flagged for plagiarism if it was used in any academic context. I used to like the Guardian a lot but it mainly seems to be an even worse version of Huffington Post now.

The Guardian website (like many others) is all about churning out articles on what's happening super quickly, with little regard for quality. Many of them don't even appear to have been read by anyone before going live, never mind subbed (spelling mistakes and basic factual errors all over the place). The opinion pages are fast becoming a disaster area, and the incessant 'please give us money' pleas are really annoying considering that I am a paying subscriber.

There is some good stuff there but it really needs to prune the dross and realise it doesn't need to have a story on every tiny little thing that someone says on Twitter. Newspaper websites are really struggling and there are rumours that The Guardian may disappear behind a paywall like The Times soon.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1381 on: November 15, 2016, 06:07:45 PM »

The Guardian website (like many others) is all about churning out articles on what's happening super quickly, with little regard for quality. Many of them don't even appear to have been read by anyone before going live, never mind subbed (spelling mistakes and basic factual errors all over the place). The opinion pages are fast becoming a disaster area, and the incessant 'please give us money' pleas are really annoying considering that I am a paying subscriber.

There is some good stuff there but it really needs to prune the dross and realise it doesn't need to have a story on every tiny little thing that someone says on Twitter. Newspaper websites are really struggling and there are rumours that The Guardian may disappear behind a paywall like The Times soon.

All of this but particularly the boldy bits, the opinion pages are becoming a laughing stock.

https://twitter.com/somuchguardian
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: November 16, 2016, 09:48:58 AM »

oregon senator merkley calls out Steve Bannon

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: November 16, 2016, 09:54:22 AM »

Check out the way Republicans' assessment of the economy changed in one week

http://www.gallup.com/poll/197474/economic-confidence-surges-election.aspx?g_source=Economy&g_medium=lead&g_campaign=tiles

My eyes are open wide
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: November 17, 2016, 02:08:06 AM »

The anti-corruption candidate billed the government $6m for air-fares for the Secret Service agents who travelled on his plane to protect him during the campaign.

How much will be charged in fares for agents protecting the family over the next four years?

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/11/16/13641538/trump-plane-secret-service
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 02:09:40 AM by MintTrav » Logged
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: November 17, 2016, 07:24:33 AM »

The anti-corruption candidate billed the government $6m for air-fares for the Secret Service agents who travelled on his plane to protect him during the campaign.

How much will be charged in fares for agents protecting the family over the next four years?

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/11/16/13641538/trump-plane-secret-service

Wait, you mean the guy who rapidly increased his campaign expenses, as his popularity increased, such as the building his campaign was run from will continue to abuse his position? The guy who promised to both dramatically cut taxes and increase government spending? Tbf, his plan does involve corporate investors in public infrastructure. I'm sure those guys will be investing out of patriotic beliefs instead of for profit.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/08/donald-trump-campaign-expenditures

(the source is pretty biased and the 12 pictures of Trump "leaning" look like absolute nonsense and have zero basis in actual journalism. I'm fairly sure I've seen the same numbers from a different source.)

Is HRC the most boring politician alive? Terrible campaign slogan I hadn't even heard. Trump's decision to spend 3x the money on merchandise as payroll looks pretty incredible now. 

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: November 17, 2016, 12:45:07 PM »

He spent $1,800,000 in a single month, on Hats?

WHAT THE FUCK, that's gotta be at the absolute least 1,000,000 hats, in a month. Is that how he did it? By giving people hats? Hillary must be feeling pretty dumb after $69m on TV ads when some hats would have done the trick.

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1387 on: November 17, 2016, 05:10:24 PM »

I understand why people are nervous about Stephen Bannon but I keep hearing people refer to Reince Priebus as a white supremacist, are they just confusing the two as I have seen nothing about Priebus that suggests such a thing.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: November 18, 2016, 09:24:44 AM »

What does it say on his hat?

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: November 18, 2016, 11:16:35 AM »

Obama told aides Trump seemed out of his depth on their first meeting.

From this big piece: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/11/28/obama-reckons-with-a-trump-presidency

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: November 18, 2016, 11:21:32 AM »

there was an incredible interview with someone who runs a fake news website

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2016/11/17/facebook-fake-news-writer-i-think-donald-trump-is-in-the-white-house-because-of-me/

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: November 18, 2016, 12:47:00 PM »

Passage from 1998 book 'Achieving Our Country' by left leaning American philosopher Richard Rorty.

My eyes are open wide
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1392 on: November 18, 2016, 12:57:52 PM »

Passage from 1998 book 'Achieving Our Country' by left leaning American philosopher Richard Rorty.

Well he was right on the money. What did he say will happen next?

The older I get, the better I was.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: November 18, 2016, 01:08:16 PM »

http://www.openculture.com/2016/11/philosopher-richard-rorty-chillingly-predicts-the-results-of-the-2016-election.html

the economy gets worse, he doesn't deliver etc etc

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: November 18, 2016, 01:09:40 PM »

more Obama in that new yorker article

My eyes are open wide