blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:53:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The Next President of the United States
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 ... 308 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Next President of the United States  (Read 664729 times)
dwh103

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: April 25, 2016, 04:17:15 PM »

Is there any chance of Sanders running as an independent assuming Clinton wins the nomination? Outside chance of a 4 way presidential vote?
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #361 on: April 25, 2016, 05:01:18 PM »

Is there any chance of Sanders running as an independent assuming Clinton wins the nomination? Outside chance of a 4 way presidential vote?

Zero - when he eventually loses he'll endorse Hillary and tell his supporters they should vote for her to stop the Republicans.
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 25, 2016, 09:28:39 PM »

Zero - when he eventually loses he'll endorse Hillary and tell his supporters they should vote for her to stop the Republicans.

The Young Turks raised this question last week, immediately after New York, and came up with a possibility. If it's Clinton v Trump, no chance. But if it's Clinton v Cruz, and Trump runs as an Independent, others might join in - Michael Bloomberg, Jesse Ventura, someone else. In that scenario, a Sanders run might make sense. It seems too risky to me - he might hand the Presidency to Cruz, and even if Sanders does get the most votes, the Republican majority in the House is likely to block him. So I can't see it happening either.

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 26, 2016, 12:16:40 AM »

Hey y'all, I hope you know your math, not like that old Ted Cruz and Kasich.

You better listen up now!

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: April 26, 2016, 12:28:10 AM »

Those two should be presenting Newsnight.
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 26, 2016, 02:26:26 AM »

New York is very thin on Republicans. There were less than 107k votes for all Republicans in NYC. Delegates are awarded at District level, with each District made up of numerous Precincts. For such a populous city, some Precincts were returning minute vote totals for any of the party's candidates. Cruz won Greenpoint Precinct by one vote, the only vote cast.
Cruz      1 vote   100%
Trump   0 votes     0%
Kasich   0 votes     0%

Trump won Bedford in Brooklyn by the same 1-0-0 result.
 Click to see full-size image.

And there were several Precincts where no-one at all voted Republican.

Here is why you should always vote - every vote counts:

The New York result has still not been finalised, and there could be some challenges. It's all due to Carson. He withdrew from the race too late to be left off the NY ballot papers, but did manage to file something stating that he gives up any votes or delegates he wins. There are a few Districts (three, I think) where Trump won 50.x% of the votes (not including votes for Carson) and has been given the three delegates. However, if Carson's votes are included, Trump's share falls to 49.x%, meaning he would just get two and Kasich would get the third.  It could take a while to resolve that one and it might be the courts that decide.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 02:50:33 AM by MintTrav » Logged
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 26, 2016, 09:07:43 AM »

Five States voting today - Pennsylvania, Maryland, Connecticut, Delaware and Rhode Island.

Trump and Clinton are ahead in all of them, except RI, where Clinton is slightly behind. Sanders also has a chance in Delaware. If she sweeps the lot, the race is as good as over.

One point to watch with the Republicans is whether Trump hits 50% in Conn, which would give him all the delegates there.

The big prize on both sides is Penn. The Democrats split their delegates proportionately and Clinton is up 55/38%. The Republicans have a very strange system here. They have 71 delegates, but the winner only gets 17 of them. The other 54 are unbound at the Convention, though the State winner would have a big influence over delegate selection.
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 27, 2016, 10:19:57 AM »

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 27, 2016, 12:53:49 PM »

What a belter for Trump. He is on course to win every County in all five States.

The big news is that Christie is back, standing behind Trump's right shoulder during the latest victory speech, with Christie's wife behind the left shoulder. Most people assumed Christie had been dropped from the front line as a liability and buried in the desert somewhere. He made no campaign appearances at all recently, even though Delaware and Pennsylvania border New Jersey. And yet there he was on the podium. What does it mean?
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 27, 2016, 12:59:00 PM »

if it came to it, beyond Christie who is Trump's most likely VP running mate?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #370 on: April 27, 2016, 02:26:02 PM »

if it came to it, beyond Christie who is Trump's most likely VP running mate?

Kanye?
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 27, 2016, 10:30:05 PM »

Newsflash:

Rumours everywhere that Cruz is going to announce Carly Fiorina as his running mate tonight.

Not a big surprise as she has been representing him all over the place.

Gotta think he's doing it now for its likely effect on the Califonia Primary.

Edit: He's doing it already. Live feed http://abcnews.go.com/Live/video/special-live-3-15048938
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 10:33:40 PM by MintTrav » Logged
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 27, 2016, 10:47:32 PM »

OMG, she's singing! Get her off.

Indiana is also crucial for Cruz, and he already had a good chance of winning it, so the timing is undoubtedly also related to that. This could seal it for him.

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 28, 2016, 09:12:35 AM »

Sanders Concedes

You may have missed the announcement, as there wasn't one, but the Democrat race is over. 

This is the main part of Sanders' speech yesterday, after congratulating Hillary on her wins:
"The people in every state in this country should have the right to determine who they want as president and what the agenda of the Democratic Party should be. That's why we are in this race until the last vote is cast. That is why this campaign is going to the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia with as many delegates as possible to fight for a progressive party platform that calls for a $15 an hour minimum wage, an end to our disastrous trade policies, a Medicare-for-all health care system, breaking up Wall Street financial institutions, ending fracking in our country, making public colleges and universities tuition free and passing a carbon tax so we can effectively address the planetary crisis of climate change."

So his objectives now are the minimum wage, Wall Street, climate change and so on. What about becoming the Democrat nominee for President, Bernie? He didn't mention that at all. He is going to the Convention to lever as much return for his support so he can fight for progressive policies and shape the future of the Democratic Party.

If that wasn't enough, his campaign is laying off 300 staff. They say they don't need as many for the last few States, but that's nonsense - there are still plenty of places they could be used. An ambitious campaign doesn't lay off half its staff at this stage.

They can't come out and announce that they are no longer trying to win the nomination, as there would be no point in standing in the remaining States and no point in heading to the Convention with a mission. But it's over.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 28, 2016, 12:56:56 PM »

this is a good read

Cruz Hopes To Tap Into Immense Popularity of Carly Fiorina

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/cruz-hopes-to-tap-into-immense-popularity-of-carly-fiorina

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 ... 308 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: