blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:02:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Mobiles/tablets at the table
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mobiles/tablets at the table  (Read 2913 times)
AdamM

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2015, 01:07:04 PM »

Was looking for a general live club feedback thread to post this in, but can't find it.

Maybe worth its own discussion though.

My question to DTD was:
Would DTD consider trying to do something to reduce the impact of tablet/mobile device use at the table?

Personally, I've never understood why someone would make the effort to travel to a live poker venue, only to whack their headphones in and watch a film while they play. Apart from the obvious disadvantage you put yourself at in terms of missed information about your opponents, you are also missing out on a large part of the live playing experience, ie the human interaction.

That said, if it's not affecting the game, please your antisocial self, but it frequently DOES affect the flow of the game. Last night I was playing at DTD and several of the dealers were having to repeatedly prompt the same players for heir blinds and antes, repeat clear betting information opponents had made and prompt for action. One lad ignored three attempts by the dealer to put his BB in, then asked for the free wifi code. I snapped at him "he's not telling you till you put your bloody blind and ante in" which he did, but then went straight back into his shell and had to be prompted for his SB next hand.

I would like a dealer who has to repeatedly prompt a player for action due to the distraction of a screen to call for the Floor who would ask the player to turn it off and concentrate on the game.

You could just turn the wifi off Smiley
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 01:36:02 PM »

Was looking for a general live club feedback thread to post this in, but can't find it.

Maybe worth its own discussion though.

My question to DTD was:
Would DTD consider trying to do something to reduce the impact of tablet/mobile device use at the table?

Personally, I've never understood why someone would make the effort to travel to a live poker venue, only to whack their headphones in and watch a film while they play. Apart from the obvious disadvantage you put yourself at in terms of missed information about your opponents, you are also missing out on a large part of the live playing experience, ie the human interaction.

That said, if it's not affecting the game, please your antisocial self, but it frequently DOES affect the flow of the game. Last night I was playing at DTD and several of the dealers were having to repeatedly prompt the same players for heir blinds and antes, repeat clear betting information opponents had made and prompt for action. One lad ignored three attempts by the dealer to put his BB in, then asked for the free wifi code. I snapped at him "he's not telling you till you put your bloody blind and ante in" which he did, but then went straight back into his shell and had to be prompted for his SB next hand.

I would like a dealer who has to repeatedly prompt a player for action due to the distraction of a screen to call for the Floor who would ask the player to turn it off and concentrate on the game.

You could just turn the wifi off Smiley

You realise that often people are just horrible and obnoxious to deal with?

What you request, is how it should be. It is the same with calling the clock. You make a request to the dealer, the dealer is trained and discerns whether your request is reasonable, if it is they call the floor and pass it up the chain. The floor asks the dealer if adequate time has passed, if yes, warning and clock implemented by the floor. On we go. If the floor has to keep returning, warnings are issued and on the game goes.

if you have a problem with the pace of the game, make it known to the dealer, if you feel the dealer isn't doing enough, ask the dealer to call the floor and walk slightly away from the table bring up your concerns with the floor and let them do their job. The fact is DTD is one of the very few places where you will get a good enough level of staffing for this approach to actually work. In many other places they don't even understand how the process of calling the clock should work, so you have little chance with other issues.
Jamier-Host

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 03:57:06 PM »

Playing a tournament at the Venetian last week a guy next to me was watching Homeland on his iPad. We've been playing 6-7 hours so antes have been running for ages and he was still forgetting to do it pretty much every go. The first couple of times I waved my hand in front of him, but then started poking him in the arm each time. I think the physical contact shocked him out of his dream world and he put it away soon after.

Obv he then knocked me out half an hour later Smiley

Side Project - making games for Amazon Alexa devices

pressthe8.com
Matt.NFFC.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 04:25:57 PM »

Would love to see a ban on this but problem is, I think DTD have actually promoted playing online sats etc while playing live.

(Pretty sure I read this somewhere)
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 04:46:41 PM »

I think the watching shows/films is a lot more disruptive than listening to music or even playing online.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 04:50:06 PM »

Impossible to enforce in reality.  Would cause much more issues banning them than allowing them plus there would be a decent drop off in field sizes as people in 2015 would simply refuse to play all evening without access to their phone/tablet.
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 04:59:05 PM »

not impossible to enforce at all. I'm not saying people shouldn't be able to send texts, check social media, listen to music, etc. I'm just saying anyone who's primary attention is on watching their screen at the expense of game flow should be asked to put it away.

If there are people who would rather stay at home than play live poker without watching films on their iPad at the same time, good riddance I say. Maybe others would play more as a result.
Jamier-Host

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 05:19:54 PM »

Yep i'd agree with that. Your primary focus is the game and the people you are physically located near to. It's no fun for anyone (and we want people to have fun right?) for the whole table to sit staring at their phone/tablet and just look up occasionally to pass/call/raise.

After I got the guy off his iPad in my previous example, we had some great chat at our end of the table about politics, sport, and 80's TV shows!

Side Project - making games for Amazon Alexa devices

pressthe8.com
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 08:00:55 PM »

Impossible to enforce in reality.  Would cause much more issues banning them than allowing them plus there would be a decent drop off in field sizes as people in 2015 would simply refuse to play all evening without access to their phone/tablet.

you don't ban devices, you train dealers to keep the game running. simple.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 09:42:32 PM »

definitely give people warnings (maybe a yellow/red card system), they get so slow and miss antes/make mistakes they think they get unduly punished for/screw up the action because they dont hear things....a real pet hate.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 11:41:32 PM »

Those Candies don't crush themselves you know.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
RedFox

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 04:26:26 PM »

I was sitting at a table recently at DTD and one guy was always on his phone surfing and continuously failing to post his antes/blinds.

It slows the game down and does get on my tits.

One hand the dealer asked for his antes/blind and he had the temerity to ask him to speak up to him as he was wearing headphones (sure he wasn't taking the piss either).

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: