blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:53:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Things you never knew
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Things you never knew  (Read 6299 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2015, 02:36:01 PM »

I was reading that Carlisle and surrounding area was prepped in flood defences to withstand a 1 in a 100 year flood event in intensity

This past weekend was the second in 10 years.

Anyway, what i had never seen was that the Netherlands spends same per capita on flood defences as the US does on the military.. (calculated harvard in 2010)

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2010/05/rising-seas-raising-hopes/

it interested me anyway

--

more stuff i, or you, never knew as we find it....

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 02:38:52 PM »

Cumbria protected to 1 in 100 year flood standard, London 1 in 1000 yrs..Holland between 1:1250 and 1:10,000 years

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 02:44:42 PM »

costs 2bn euros a year

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 04:37:15 PM »

never knew this

Pearl Harbour

Each soldier got to send a 2 word telegram to let their family know they survived the attack.

here's one

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 07:49:47 PM »

Some/most of the ships sunk during Pearl Harbour were raised, repaired and reused.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/Decoder/2012/1207/Pearl-Harbor-resurrection-the-warships-that-rose-to-fight-again-video

Reddit is amazing for this, but its just so much time that can be wasted. Another great tip if you want to waste an hour reading is just going to the standard reddit sections and finding the top posts of all time. There are some amazing and scary threads on there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/top/?sort=top&t=all

This is one of the most harrowing things I have ever read. Really not for the faint of heart, there are some awful awful stories in there.
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/t0ynr/throwaway_time_whats_your_secret_that_could/

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 09:26:55 AM »

If you had asked me the difference between celibacy and chastity, I would have thought they amounted to more-or-less the same thing. I probably had a vague idea that celibacy seemed to be for life, and priests are into it, while chastity seemed related to younger people, mainly maidens waiting for their bethrothed to return from battle. And I knew St Joseph was chaste, but never thought about what it meant - just assumed he wasn't getting any.

It turns out that they mean entirely different things - and neither of them mean that you don't have sex. You can be chaste or celibate and have plenty of sex, and have children.

I never knew that.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 10:46:08 AM »

If you had asked me the difference between celibacy and chastity, I would have thought they amounted to more-or-less the same thing. I probably had a vague idea that celibacy seemed to be for life, and priests are into it, while chastity seemed related to younger people, mainly maidens waiting for their bethrothed to return from battle. And I knew St Joseph was chaste, but never thought about what it meant - just assumed he wasn't getting any.

It turns out that they mean entirely different things - and neither of them mean that you don't have sex. You can be chaste or celibate and have plenty of sex, and have children.

I never knew that.

Great! Where do I sign?

The older I get, the better I was.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 01:43:05 PM »

I never knew that.

Interesting. I thought they were different but not as you've said:

Chastity is only having sex with the person you're married to and it's what Christians believe everyone should adopt (I'm simplifying, as more modern churches recognise society is less stringent on sex before marriage these days, though I doubt any actively endorses it. If you're in a long term relationship and only having sex with that person, it would be being chaste).

Celibacy is about marriage, rather than sex (though, in the letter of the law, they are one and the same, as sex consummates the marriage, and, generally, no sex before marriage). It is vow Catholic priests take. However, you might have been married before you were ordained and in that case, as you can't divorce as a Catholic (very easily anyway), you can continue to be a husband. I am not sure there is a vow of celibacy in the Anglican church for vicars.

So, does that fit in with your bolded quote above? Do you mean that you could have been married before you were ordained? Or have I got this wrong?

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 02:03:04 PM »

I was reading that Carlisle and surrounding area was prepped in flood defences to withstand a 1 in a 100 year flood event in intensity

This past weekend was the second in 10 years.

Anyway, what i had never seen was that the Netherlands spends same per capita on flood defences as the US does on the military.. (calculated harvard in 2010)

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2010/05/rising-seas-raising-hopes/

it interested me anyway

--

more stuff i, or you, never knew as we find it....

At first this seems absurd but the Netherlands is very vulnerable and has no choice but to go all in on flood defence. Eventually flood defence will become cheaper but they are always developing and finding better methods. Equally, the Netherlands probably makes a lot of money back with their flood defence technology. The Dutch take over most flood defence projects all over the world.

<3 ENSUING
stato_1 said, "banoffee pie i reckon"
stato_1 said, "this is delicious"
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 03:49:01 PM »

I never knew that.

Interesting. I thought they were different but not as you've said:

Chastity is only having sex with the person you're married to and it's what Christians believe everyone should adopt (I'm simplifying, as more modern churches recognise society is less stringent on sex before marriage these days, though I doubt any actively endorses it. If you're in a long term relationship and only having sex with that person, it would be being chaste).

Celibacy is about marriage, rather than sex (though, in the letter of the law, they are one and the same, as sex consummates the marriage, and, generally, no sex before marriage). It is vow Catholic priests take. However, you might have been married before you were ordained and in that case, as you can't divorce as a Catholic (very easily anyway), you can continue to be a husband. I am not sure there is a vow of celibacy in the Anglican church for vicars.

So, does that fit in with your bolded quote above? Do you mean that you could have been married before you were ordained? Or have I got this wrong?

Chastity is about being pure and, as you say, means only having sex with the person you are married to. Contrary to popular belief, celibacy just means being unmarried, but it doesn't mean you're not bonking everything that moves. I have just discovered that what priests exercise is continence, which is celibate chasitity, and includes not just bonking, but "all sexual acts". I think that makes it impossible to have sex, as you can only do it with someone you are married to, but you can't get married - though I'm not certain there isn't a loophole somewhere.
lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 01:55:28 AM »

This is one of the most harrowing things I have ever read. Really not for the faint of heart, there are some awful awful stories in there.
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/t0ynr/throwaway_time_whats_your_secret_that_could/

Just got done reading all the main posts to reach the bottom and see this: load more comments (36419 replies)

Very good thread. I don't find it particularly harrowing, it just concretes the fact that sexually assaulting a child probably the most damaging thing in society. Some bad people out there and also seems that people have some very nasty secrets that must be tough to live with.

<3 ENSUING
stato_1 said, "banoffee pie i reckon"
stato_1 said, "this is delicious"
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 05:48:52 PM »

Apple got its name because Steve Jobs was a vegan and sometimes went weeks at a time where he would only eat things like apples and carrots....
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 01:22:34 PM »

A Conservative MP has a side job as a football referee and will be running the line at tonight's Barcelona v Olympiakos game

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/oct/18/tory-mp-douglas-ross-missing-universal-credit-debate-barcelona-game-doing-good-job
superwomble

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 11:45:22 AM »

Just got done reading all the main posts to reach the bottom and see this: load more comments (36419 replies)

Very good thread. I don't find it particularly harrowing, it just concretes the fact that sexually assaulting a child probably the most damaging thing in society. Some bad people out there and also seems that people have some very nasty secrets that must be tough to live with.

Wow. What a thread. I am supposed to be working....!

AFC Wimbledon Poker Club - https://www.facebook.com/afcwpokerclub/
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 12:22:59 PM »

Wow. What a thread. I am supposed to be working....!

Ha same,

Love this

"I run a cake business. I charge people hundreds for wedding cakes... Every last one is made using Pilsbury cake mix I buy for $1 a box at Walmart."

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: