blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:08:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Your favourite cover songs
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your favourite cover songs  (Read 4137 times)
KarmaDope

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2015, 09:27:42 PM »

I know there was a thread about this many, many years ago but I couldn't find it going back to 2010 so thought I'd make a new one, plus we seem to have a distinct lack of music threads on here which kinda surprises me.

Anyway, two great covers I discovered recently:

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 10:11:18 PM »

Getting quite into Boyce Avenue lately, and enjoy a lot of their stuff.

hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 10:29:20 PM »

Cash, Hurt
Youth Group Music, Forever Young
Shed Seven, Jumping Jack Flash
Manics, Suicide Is Painless
Jeff Buckley, Hallelujah

Best Bitter.
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 11:16:12 PM »

DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 10:11:15 AM »

I definitely posted this one in the last thread but I haven't heard a better cover since

Smashing Pumpkins covering Fleetwood Mac

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 11:12:49 AM »

This one might be a bit contentious ~ there are certainly a lot of bad covers of this song out there, but I like Lemmy's version.

AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 11:32:50 AM »

Ryan Adams did a cover version of Taylor Swift's 1989 album. It's all worth a listen, but this is the standout.

AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 11:34:03 AM »

I know there was a thread about this many, many years ago but I couldn't find it going back to 2010 so thought I'd make a new one, plus we seem to have a distinct lack of music threads on here which kinda surprises me.

Anyway, two great covers I discovered recently:

Assume you've heard this classic Smiley

teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 11:50:10 AM »

i think i've posted this before but cash's version of hurt, coupled with the video and the backstory isnt just a decent cover - its one of the most moving pieces of art i've experienced.

for those uninitiated trent reznor wrote the orginal version of hurt and would close his Nine Inch Nails concerts with it. its a very personal account of addiction, loss, and generally fucking life up. its a raw song personal to him.

so when an aging, dying, ex country star decided he wanted to cover it reznor wasnt sure at all. when he did hear the finished version he said 'i feel like i've lost a girlfriend as that song's not mine anymore'. compliments dont come more heartfelt than that.

the video only adds to the pathos. cash is decrepit, his wife appear in the video - the pain looks very real. the montage sweeps his life before you. its a song and video that you experience as opposed to passively enjoy.

june tabor is a beautiful woman - anyone with a voice like that cant be described in any other way. the oysterband are a fantastic folk band. love will tear us apart is, at heart, a quintessentially english plaintive love song.

put em together and you get this:

picture the scene.

you are a sound engineer / record producer in the early sixties.

most of the artists you record use session musicians, trained in the proper traditional playing techniques of the fifties. the drums and basslines are in synch. the performers look like this:

they sing nice songs that mums and dads can listen to with their children.

its nice and safe.

then 4 scousers come in and record this:

this was recorded as the last song of an album recording session. lennon's voice at this point is red raw and close to breaking. they have been recording a mix of covers and, revolutionary at the time, their own numbers - pop stars then, like today, didnt write their own garb.

they have one, maybe two, shots at this before lennons voice completely gives way.

the lads by this time are sweating, shirtless and slapping and shouting to each other so as to hype each other up for the last take. you have never seen anything like this in your time in a british recording studio.

it is perfect. lennon rides his voice to breaking point [you can hear just how close to the edge he is] and the band push him every inch of the way.

the sound of beatlemania captured on record. listen carefully at the end and you can hear an ecstatic mccarteny shout 'YEAH!' as the last cymbals crash - he knows they have utterly nailed it

you as a sound engineer have never seen or heard anything like it.

you have just witnessed the early stages of a cultural revolution.

wp gg.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 12:15:34 PM by teddybloat » Logged
Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 12:35:48 PM »

Tainted love also covered by Marilyn Manson. The original was sung by Gloria Jones who's other unfortunate claim to fame was she was Marc Bolans girlfriend and was driving the car that crashed and killed him.

AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 12:51:31 PM »

Everything by ME FIRST AND THE GIMME GIMMES Smiley
The Wycher

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 12:57:54 PM »

The Jonny Cash cover of Hurt is one of the all time great covers.

Other personal favs are Cake - I will survive (Just very plainly done but makes me smile everytime), The Damned - Help (rather fast but just what you would expect), The The - Hanky Panky (complete album of Hank Williams covers). And there was an album of Leonard Cohen covers called I'm your fan which had some great cover versions including First we take Manhattan by REM. and two different versions of Tower of Strength. Just looked at it on Amazon and came out in 1991 (damn that is a long time ago as I had it on tape!) bands featured include Pixies, That Petrol Emotion, House of Love, Lloyd Cole, Fatima Mansions, Nick Cave and of course John Cale doing Hallelujah.

Sorry no links as just useless at that bit
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 02:46:28 PM »

i think i've posted this before but cash's version of hurt, coupled with the video and the backstory isnt just a decent cover - its one of the most moving pieces of art i've experienced.

for those uninitiated trent reznor wrote the orginal version of hurt and would close his Nine Inch Nails concerts with it. its a very personal account of addiction, loss, and generally fucking life up. its a raw song personal to him.

so when an aging, dying, ex country star decided he wanted to cover it reznor wasnt sure at all. when he did hear the finished version he said 'i feel like i've lost a girlfriend as that song's not mine anymore'. compliments dont come more heartfelt than that.

the video only adds to the pathos. cash is decrepit, his wife appear in the video - the pain looks very real. the montage sweeps his life before you. its a song and video that you experience as opposed to passively enjoy.

june tabor is a beautiful woman - anyone with a voice like that cant be described in any other way. the oysterband are a fantastic folk band. love will tear us apart is, at heart, a quintessentially english plaintive love song.

put em together and you get this:

picture the scene.

you are a sound engineer / record producer in the early sixties.

most of the artists you record use session musicians, trained in the proper traditional playing techniques of the fifties. the drums and basslines are in synch. the performers look like this:

they sing nice songs that mums and dads can listen to with their children.

its nice and safe.

then 4 scousers come in and record this:

this was recorded as the last song of an album recording session. lennon's voice at this point is red raw and close to breaking. they have been recording a mix of covers and, revolutionary at the time, their own numbers - pop stars then, like today, didnt write their own garb.

they have one, maybe two, shots at this before lennons voice completely gives way.

the lads by this time are sweating, shirtless and slapping and shouting to each other so as to hype each other up for the last take. you have never seen anything like this in your time in a british recording studio.

it is perfect. lennon rides his voice to breaking point [you can hear just how close to the edge he is] and the band push him every inch of the way.

the sound of beatlemania captured on record. listen carefully at the end and you can hear an ecstatic mccarteny shout 'YEAH!' as the last cymbals crash - he knows they have utterly nailed it

you as a sound engineer have never seen or heard anything like it.

you have just witnessed the early stages of a cultural revolution.

wp gg.

GREAT post
buzzharvey22

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 05:36:33 PM »

teddybloat - take a bow son. One of my favourite posts on blonde. WP.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 06:06:33 PM »

I know it's ridiculous to think of a single favourite song but if I was pressed hard then Love will tear us apart would be it for me. Couldn't imagine enjoying a cover but enjoyed that, thanks and I'll look up some more of their stuff.

My over offering is one I came across quite recently

sola virtus nobilitat
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: