blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:24:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Your favourite cover songs
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your favourite cover songs  (Read 4130 times)
Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2015, 07:21:03 PM »

teddybloat - take a bow son. One of my favourite posts on blonde. WP.

Big +1 from me too. As i finished reading your post and watching the clips I was about to post more or less the same and seen Buzz had already posted. Also One of my favourite posts on here, well done sir.

Geo

When you get..........give. When you learn.......teach
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2015, 09:19:19 PM »

Am I right in thinking that Trent was dead against anyone covering Hurt? And refused to listen to JC's cover for ages? Then when he eventually heard it it blew him away....

Read an article on the video recently; can't remember the exact details but there is no lighting, or make up or anything like that, as Cash just wanted it all to be natural. And sadly they had to rush it, as his health was slipping away pretty quickly.

Best Bitter.
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2015, 09:54:18 PM »

yeah i think he listened to it with the band and then gave the famous 'girlfriend' quote

here it is in the original interview:

Geoff Rickly: How did you feel the first time you heard Johnny' Cash's rendition of "Hurt"'? How did you feel when you realized it would be his last will as a musician?

Trent Reznor: Rick Rubin has been a friend for a long time, and he called me asking how I felt about Johnny covering "Hurt." I was flattered, but frankly, the idea sounded a bit gimmicky to me. I really didn't put much thought into it, as I was working on something at the time and was distracted. A few weeks later, a CD shows up with the track. Again, I'm in the middle of something and put it on and give it a cursory listen. It sounded... weird to me. That song in particular was straight from my soul, and it felt very strange hearing the highly identifiable voice of Johnny Cash singing it. It was a good version, and I certainly wasn't cringing or anything, but it felt like I was watching my girlfriend fuck somebody else. Or something like that. Anyway, a few weeks later, a videotape shows up with Mark Romanek's video on it. It's morning; I'm in the studio in New Orleans working on lack De La Rocha's record with him; I pop the video in, and... wow. Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps... Wow. I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore. Then it all made sense to me. It really made me think about how powerful music is as a medium and art form. I wrote some words and music in my bedroom as a way of staying sane, about a bleak and desperate place I was in, totally isolated and alone. Some-fucking-how that winds up reinter-preted by a music legend from a radically different era/genre and still retains sincerity and meaning-dif-ferent, but every bit as pure. Things felt even stranger when he passed away. The song's pur-pose shifted again. It's incredibly flattering as a writer to have your song chosen by someone who�s a great writer and a great artist.

cash and his wife died not long after the video was finished up.

KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2015, 10:16:23 PM »

One Two more for the list:

« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 10:25:05 PM by sharplea » Logged
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2015, 02:13:10 PM »

bbc music

Greatest Cover Versions: Top 50

Selected by BBC 's and Music experts, here is your shortlist of the Top 50 Cover Versions.

an interesting playlist

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/playlists/zzzzcm

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2015, 03:14:52 PM »

First We Take Manhattan
All Along The Watchtower
Hallelujah
Tainted Love
Nothing Compares 2 U
I Will Always Love You
I Heard It Through The Grapevine
I Fought The Law
Respect
Songbird
When The Levee Breaks
A Message To You Rudy
Killing Me Softly With His Song

I didn't know that the most recognisable version (to me at least) of any of these songs were covers - the things you learn eh?

AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2015, 04:03:33 PM »

First We Take Manhattan
All Along The Watchtower
Hallelujah
Tainted Love
Nothing Compares 2 U
I Will Always Love You
I Heard It Through The Grapevine
I Fought The Law
Respect
Songbird
When The Levee Breaks
A Message To You Rudy
Killing Me Softly With His Song

I didn't know that the most recognisable version (to me at least) of any of these songs were covers - the things you learn eh?

I knew most of those, but those ones were news to me!

Speaking of All Along the Watchtower, I wonder if there has been an artist who's been covered more than Bob Dylan?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_artists_who_have_covered_Bob_Dylan_songs
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: