blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:25:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Late in day one into a monster stack
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Late in day one into a monster stack  (Read 2038 times)
OverTheBorder

just one of those days

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2016, 04:02:45 PM »

There is 11 players left in the Grand Prix and 25 minutes on the clock in level 18.  We have about 125k, blinds are 3000/6000/1000 ante.  Play ends at the end of 18, and all players on day 2 get a £210 min cash and we are only presently in for £75.  The blinds get rolled back two levels for day 2 so we will be coming back to 2500/5000/500.

We are on Button.  Two players at table are tanking every spot to run down clock.  Likely we will only see another 10 hands this evening.  We are 5 handed.  One stack has about 575k which is 25% of chips in play.  We have two players covered, and one of the mad tankers has about 250k.  The big stack is playing very aggressively and has already jammed one of our opens and is making things very difficult.

We are on button, big stack is SB and BB is mad tanker.  What range do we raise?, do we raise fold any hands? Is there any hands we open shove to avoid the potential jam by mega stack.  Obviously the top of our range we are raising to induce him, but what range are we doing that with.  I was pretty unsure in game, and some of my thoughts where life EV of a day at Old Trafford rather than perfect strategy.  I am just interested in what people are doing in this spot, or if they would just keep playing standard.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 04:37:06 PM »

There is 11 players left in the Grand Prix and 25 minutes on the clock in level 18.  We have about 125k, blinds are 3000/6000/1000 ante.  Play ends at the end of 18, and all players on day 2 get a £210 min cash and we are only presently in for £75.  The blinds get rolled back two levels for day 2 so we will be coming back to 2500/5000/500.

We are on Button.  Two players at table are tanking every spot to run down clock.  Likely we will only see another 10 hands this evening.  We are 5 handed.  One stack has about 575k which is 25% of chips in play.  We have two players covered, and one of the mad tankers has about 250k.  The big stack is playing very aggressively and has already jammed one of our opens and is making things very difficult.

We are on button, big stack is SB and BB is mad tanker.  What range do we raise?, do we raise fold any hands? Is there any hands we open shove to avoid the potential jam by mega stack.  Obviously the top of our range we are raising to induce him, but what range are we doing that with.  I was pretty unsure in game, and some of my thoughts where life EV of a day at Old Trafford rather than perfect strategy.  I am just interested in what people are doing in this spot, or if they would just keep playing standard.

I'd just play my normal game, which would be to take consideration of the bubble and the $210.  It doesn't matter how much we are in for.

Sure I read somewhere recently, maybe Pleno's diary, about the raising small to induce with the top of your range.  The gist was that not only was it not obvious that we should raise small to induce, but that we lost value by doing so.  You are worried monster stack is going to call you off with your raises, but you then min raise AA.  Just jam it, and hope he calls you off.  Jamming everything should make it less likely he calls us off, because he should realise (eventually) that all your monsters are in your range.   

I am a bit out of date, but I think there is two conflicting things going on here, you have monster stack who forces us to tighten our range and scared BB, which should mean we widen our range.  As such, we should just be playing something near our normal game and not be unduly tight, or loose.  If the $210 means something more to you, and it is EV to have a day out, then for sure it is ok to play a bit tigher. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 04:41:53 PM »

he ripped 100bb+ pre over an open?

Normal ranges and avoid the big stack.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: