blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:53:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Parkrun this weekend
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Parkrun this weekend  (Read 3128 times)
Steveswift

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2016, 08:22:30 PM »

Any one participating this WE ?

I am in Shorne country park in Kent.  Convinced my son to have a go, so that is all 3 or mine who will have ran it. Next step all four of us on the same day.

Ran one Christmas time as a wake up alert and died a death as expected, so done a bit of trg since and looking forward to shaving a bit off my personal worst, SB in the bag me thinks Smiley

Targets any one?  I am hoping for about 26.30 as I ran 27.45 on the last one. PB 23.11, yikes some work required.

Gl to any runners.

Steve
Newportlad

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 08:43:26 PM »

I was thinking of going this weekend to my local Parkrun for the first time.  Need to get soem fitness back.
However, i've managed to come down with a cold, so will have to give it a miss.
There was a video on facebook of my local run last weekend, and there must have been well over 100 people there!
Steveswift

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 08:47:48 PM »

I was thinking of going this weekend to my local Parkrun for the first time.  Need to get soem fitness back.
However, i've managed to come down with a cold, so will have to give it a miss.
There was a video on facebook of my local run last weekend, and there must have been well over 100 people there!

Ul run better Smiley Its always there next week, 100 is a lovely number, all abilities too.
Micko

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 08:57:25 PM »

Taking my daughter who's 12, she's going for a PB under 30 minutes.

GL whoever is running.
Steveswift

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 10:28:19 PM »

GL whoever is running.

Glglglgl  12 and under 30  cracking.
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 11:39:46 PM »

Kingston parkrun tomorrow, probably bumble around in about 29mins maybe a bit quicker.
baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 05:01:48 AM »

Ran one of these last year as part of a bet- £25 I couldn't run below 24minutes for 5km, hungover from the night before, whilst wearing my converse. Great idea at 3am, not so much when the alarm sounded at 8am. Managed to run a 21:26 though! Worst £25 of my life. They are a great event for all abilities though, great to see those of all ages, shapes and sizes getting out and giving it a go.

Feed em rice.
peejaytwo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 11:08:48 AM »

Did my first run for ages this week after knee problems. Steady five mins then five mins walking, repeat three times for 2.6 miles. Just going out now to do the same and aim to do the Donny park run first Sat in March.
Longy
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 12:39:45 PM »

Ran one of these last year as part of a bet- £25 I couldn't run below 24minutes for 5km, hungover from the night before, whilst wearing my converse. Great idea at 3am, not so much when the alarm sounded at 8am. Managed to run a 21:26 though! Worst £25 of my life. They are a great event for all abilities though, great to see those of all ages, shapes and sizes getting out and giving it a go.

That is pretty impressive on a hangover.

Did my first run for ages this week after knee problems. Steady five mins then five mins walking, repeat three times for 2.6 miles. Just going out now to do the same and aim to do the Donny park run first Sat in March.

Gl getting back on it.
Kingston parkrun tomorrow, probably bumble around in about 29mins maybe a bit quicker.

Ran 28:32, forgot my garmin so just ran what felt comfortable. It was my muddy and icy as expected
Micko

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 12:46:44 PM »

GL whoever is running.

Glglglgl  12 and under 30  cracking.

Unfortunately our parkrun was cancelled this morning.
Steveswift

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 03:02:34 PM »

"Targets any one?  I am hoping for about 26.30 as I ran 27.45 on the last one."

26.49  for me showed as an unknown but I know it was me, wasn't sure the recorder scanned me properly.

Burly scaffolder son ran 30.31 after getting dragged out of bed by yours truly Smiley

Steve
Longy
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 08:52:26 PM »

"Targets any one?  I am hoping for about 26.30 as I ran 27.45 on the last one."

26.49  for me showed as an unknown but I know it was me, wasn't sure the recorder scanned me properly.

Burly scaffolder son ran 30.31 after getting dragged out of bed by yours truly Smiley

Steve

Steve email the parkrun and say your barcode wasn't scanned properly. I had this happen once before and they put me in manually.
Steveswift

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 12:41:00 AM »

Thank you,  will do.

Steve
Newportlad

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2016, 12:53:15 AM »

Newport parkrun was cancelled this morning.
A few people i know decided to drive down to Barry, do a 5 mile run on the beach, and then go for a swim...   idiot
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2016, 10:22:18 AM »

The more I look at "ParkRun" the more impressed I am.

I'm not a runner myself, I've left it too late to even try, but by association, I'm attending some of these now to support Gill.

The atmo & vibes are nothing short of wonderful. I've spent way too long immersed in poker, which has a murky, nasty side, & was forming the view that it represented society as a whole, but ParkRun has been a breath of fresh air.

And the amount of people involved is staggering. This week - THIS WEEK - alone, it had......

Here are this week’s summary statistics for parkrun UK (including junior parkrun)

Number of parkrunners – 83,152
Number of volunteers – 7,453
Number of first timers – 13,373
Number of PBs – 8,079

Isn't that something?

That was in their weekly newsletter this week, here.....

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/news/category/newsletter/

I perused the results of a Bushy Park run that Gill did, & there were 5 runners who had done that Bushy Park run over 400 times. (It's weekly, so that's 8 years worth right there).

They have a "100 Club", too, (done more than 100 ParkRuns), which has loads of members.

Can't speak highly enough of the whole thing, which, as far as I can see, is all organised & managed by volunteers.

In the same way many of us have become addicted to poker, & sit in front of a monitor clicking buttons, there are any number of folks like Gill who are equally addicted to ParkRun & the like. In the same way that we in poker look forward to a big weekly MTT or whatever, Gill's whole life now revolves around prepping for these things.

She was due to run yesterday, but it was too icy, & she had to cancel it, so I got told "that's a real nuisance, it puts my training schedule back a week".  (She's training for a half-marathon).

And it's not like she is remotely good enough to trouble the leaders, she's a self-confessed "slowie", who trundles round at the back & finishes in the last 5% every time - but she loves it.

ParkRun, best thing ever. Long may it last.    

« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 10:24:08 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: