blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:41:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Icky stack size spot
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Icky stack size spot  (Read 5977 times)
dwh103

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2016, 12:41:06 PM »

At least, it felt icky at the time.

£220 buy in. Blinds 500/1000/100. Average is about 65k.

Just been moved to a new table. First hand the HJ has opened to 2500 and I've 3b to 6700, got it through.

One round later I've opened CO to 2200, called by Villain in the BB. Checked down to river on J97KA where I bet 2100 and get called, with A2 winning against his Kx. He good naturedly moans about playing the hand badly on turn and river, but is sat behind a monster stack and has a very splashy and agg talkative persona.

Essentially though, I've not been there long enough for to be sure on any specific reads.

Very next hand:

Hero HJ (49k) opens to 2200 with 
CO (80k, seems like a terrabad station) calls
BTN (35k, standard TAG lady) calls.
Villain SB (250k) makes it 9500.

Hero?

Feels super easy if I have +/- 10BBs...
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 03:36:12 PM »

Shove, get called and when you bink, tell him you thought he was at it

sola virtus nobilitat
OverTheBorder

just one of those days

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 06:10:53 PM »

Doesn't seem a spot I want to get 50BB in. OOP he probably flats his weaker aces. He probably has a midish pair (hates jacks), not likely to fold, with his stack size, so with limited fold equity I probably just let it go. AK I jam so it's close, but seems to me you will find a better spot.
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 07:37:44 PM »

All in, good luck.
HutchGF

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 08:28:22 PM »

I'd probably call in position and play him post flop. I don't think you can profitably get 50ish BB in with AQ unless you have solid reads that villain is a maniac.

I don't hate folding either. Probably a bit nitty.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 08:42:58 PM »

Isn't this a fairly trivial fold ? Calling seems pretty yuck unless we have some super plan for how we're going to play post flop if we whiff or hit one pair. Showing seems like a spew. Mebs i have just become a total nit.

sola virtus nobilitat
OverTheBorder

just one of those days

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 08:54:38 PM »

Isn't this a fairly trivial fold ? Calling seems pretty yuck unless we have some super plan for how we're going to play post flop if we whiff or hit one pair. Showing seems like a spew. Mebs i have just become a total nit.

Fold>Jam>call imo
WotRTheChances
MinRaiseFTW, WotRTheChances, Quelles_Sont

#Team_Eureka

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 02:01:34 AM »

Given descriptions i'm pretty happy peeling in this spot. Hard to be at a huge disadvantage vs his range, particularly if he has any inclination to pick some squeeze spots, which this seems like a perfectly good one. Imagine you'll get an overcall from guy you've described in the CO, who will likely have a lot of dominated hands, which it sounds like he'll be making some big mistakes with. Imagine the TAG btn is always folding. Even if CO folds you still get the overlay of all the dead money HU in position. Sure you've not got a huge SPR on the flop, but you're getting great immediate odds on a peel with a very strong hand.

Getting in 50bb pre here is probably OK unless the sb is really tight, but i'd rather take a post-flop edge, minimise variance and allow others to make mistakes. I guess if i were going with it i'd just rip it at this point rather than finding a small 4-bet.

Also don't hate a fold, preserving stacks in (presumably) soft live comps is pretty important, but I think we can utilise our edge in this spot and calling is +EV enough.

Call>Jam>Fold for me, but not a huge difference between jamming and folding.
verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 12:18:16 PM »

Yeah I defo like peeling over jamming, seems like chunks to get in pre. Fold seems nitty, but I guess it's ok but meh, I like playing pots! Peeling keeps his weaker Ax hands in he might 3 bet as well as KQ/KJ he might Aswell. Jamming just folds out weaker and gets us called by better for sure.
Would jam If we had <20ish bbs et

ignore verndog he's a fool

'he had a deep run in EPT Barnsley'
dwh103

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 06:49:34 PM »

I've certainly had all the answers!

In game I dwell folded due to still having 47BBs behind in a soft field, though on reflection I think a click 4b/call (certainly prefer that to jamming) is really close. Make it 18k or so, can pass in the very unlikely scenario the CO has smoothed a monster. Should Villain peel (can't decide if I expect him to) then I just have to grow a pair on decent board textures.

Though think it depends on whether I've nailed said pair to the high or low variance mast for the tournament in general.

Easy to jam 35BBs here I think, or more comfortable 4b with 60. Not a fan of calling though for a possible 4 way pot - it feels like the easy (and therefore wrong!) option.

So I think fold > 4b/call > jam > call > 4b/fold.

CO peeled the Villain 3b, called 876 flop, chk-chk turn A, then Villain bets him off on river 9 - shows KQ.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 06:57:26 PM »

Villain, Panos by any chance ?

If yes, definitely jamming :-)

sola virtus nobilitat
dwh103

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 07:00:33 PM »

Villain, Panos by any chance ?

If yes, definitely jamming :-)

No idea who that is, but Villain didn't seem like a Panos Smiley
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 07:03:27 PM »

Big guy, bald head, talks a lot, likes showing his bluffs  and raising out of the blinds.

Saw he had a big day one stack reading online somewhere and he seemed to fit the bill with how the hand played out. Just realised I've just assumed this was from Gentings Luton this weekend too.

Probably up the wrong tree on more counts than one :-)

sola virtus nobilitat
dwh103

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 08:01:36 PM »

Big guy, bald head, talks a lot, likes showing his bluffs  and raising out of the blinds.

Saw he had a big day one stack reading online somewhere and he seemed to fit the bill with how the hand played out. Just realised I've just assumed this was from Gentings Luton this weekend too.

Haha, might be! He did sound very British though, but given the stack size, and it was GPS Luton then I'd say you might be right!
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 08:11:32 PM »

Haha, might be! He did sound very British though, but given the stack size, and it was GPS Luton then I'd say you might be right!

Probably him, he doesn't sound Greek at all. Likeable guy even with all the chat :-)

sola virtus nobilitat
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: