blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:53:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272607 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Cricket World t20 - England have a chance?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 [15] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cricket World t20 - England have a chance?  (Read 27098 times)
Tommo

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 04, 2016, 04:03:09 PM »

The final along with the whole tournament showed again that 20/20 is great entertainment, I had friends who think/thought cricket is the most boring sport going who loved yesterday's final.

For me as a huge cricket fan nothing beats the first morning of a test match, but I do love the excitement and innovation of 20/20.

Also how good is Joe Root? Does it in all 3 formats of the game, think he has every chance of going on to be England's most complete batsmen ever if he isn't already very close to that already.  I am a Yorkshireman so my view on Joe might be slightly biased.
nellberg

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 04, 2016, 04:48:47 PM »

Speaking of which I just came across this wonderful quote from Dave Richardson -

"Again, the reason to go to a 10-team [2019 World Cup] tournament was done for a number of reasons some time back. Number one probably it was a format that would generate more competitive cricket and secondly more value. If we're honest with ourselves, a tournament which involves a guaranteed nine Indian matches is worth substantially more than a tournament with less Indian matches. And of course the money that's generated from that event is for the benefit of all members including the Associate members."

Maybe one day cricket will be played purely for the sake of it rather than to fill the coffers of executives.

Haha, aye Dave, I'm sure loads of that money will get ploughed into developing cricket in Afghanistan, Ireland and Holland ...

How exactly do they expect associate members to get better without playing the top nations. Bangladesh and Afghanistan looked well worth their place imo. Them being competitive made  it a much better tournament

I think the Afghan's are great value, always enjoy watching them. Shahzad with the bat alone is worth tuning in for,  but also in the field, quickies charging in and plenty of intensity, 17 (!) year old leggie and a bit of niggle from them all. Whether they could keep up the intensity and compete over 50 overs is debatable, but the more exposure they have the more likely they are to succeed.
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 04, 2016, 07:16:30 PM »

Sussex have signed Rahman for T20 and look forward to watching him play
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 04, 2016, 07:16:57 PM »

Yep, was naïve to overlook the money angle. I guess the day out factor continues to make ODIs sell out even though the game is often dull.

sola virtus nobilitat
KingPush

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 05, 2016, 05:52:33 AM »

The final along with the whole tournament showed again that 20/20 is great entertainment, I had friends who think/thought cricket is the most boring sport going who loved yesterday's final.

For me as a huge cricket fan nothing beats the first morning of a test match, but I do love the excitement and innovation of 20/20.

Also how good is Joe Root? Does it in all 3 formats of the game, think he has every chance of going on to be England's most complete batsmen ever if he isn't already very close to that already.  I am a Yorkshireman so my view on Joe might be slightly biased.
Think he's probably the best British sportsmen right now, just insanely good at batting and fielding. I really hope he doesn't become captain and is allowed to instead, inevitably become England's highest run scorer.

First ball was very bad, second ball was bad and I was in too much pain to watch the rest. Would have thought bowling outside off yorkers would be better than a middle to leg line with the way he was setting himself up.

Yeah this, Braithwaite well known to ove the on side, shoulda been wide on the off, tactic that was used well in previous games.
Reckon that Root over had a lot to do with whatever got said on the field after he was out when batting. Certainly looked pissed off at WI when walking off

I think we should have gone wide yorkers, especially to Samuels are he backs away. Braithwaite showed he can hit inside-out so it would have been a risk but it's still far more difficult to hit sixes over cover than long on.

Credit to braithwaite, his scoop shot changed the dynamic of the game and we got a bit muddled up with our thinking. Mid-off up to Samuels a particularly strange choice.

One thing I was saying to my mates after the New Zealand game was that I didn't think we didn't bowl that well at the death. Those last 4 overs went for 20 and took wickets, everyone's saying it was amazing but it was very results-orientated. Ronchi's hit a full toss down long-off's throat. Anderson's hit a half volley down long-off's throat. If they both go for 6 no-one says they bowled great.

Yesterday in the last 10 balls they hit their mark once (Jordan's last ball to Samuels was perfect). rest of Jordan's over was hittablle, first one went for 4 to vacant long-off region, the rest were mis-hit for ones but I keep thinking we'd got away with them. Stokes then missed his length and also his line, the 1st one is a free hit basically and the others are still too straight. Still no idea how the 3rd six has gone 20 rows back, nowhere near the middle of the bat!

It's obviously super-tough bowling at the death in these pressure situations, and they'll learn from this. Be nice to see them work on some variations, like a slower ball. Would be a lot more difficult to set yourself as a batsman if you knew it would be either a yorker or a slowie, like when Bravo bowls at the back end. Both Jordan and Stokes seem to want to bowl at the death and enjoy the challenge (Stokes maybe not so much now!) so with a bit more practice they'll get better.

All in all England definitely exceeded my expectations. Going to India with only 1 player with IPL experience (Morgan) and he only contributes 66 runs all tournament. Main spinners only bowl 33 overs all tournament for 10 wickets and go at 8.82 an over. To still make the final and be in with a great shout of winning it took some doing and they'll be together as a group for a good few years, so promising signs for sure.
Agree, can't remember but wasn't mid off back then rashid went back and mid off came up and then they just stayed like that when the strike switched. This is normally the fielders fault not the captains and I have to say Rashid is definitely from the Monty Panesar fielding academy, they hide him at fine leg and yet he still manages to do at least one cock up a game. And yeah a few wickets off full tosses and now they are great death bowlers, not sure it works like that. I'm sure once stokes is done with the locker, the wall, the door he will be back better for it though.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 [15] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: