blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 02:01:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272891 Posts in 66759 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Yes or No, the Euro 2016 squad
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yes or No, the Euro 2016 squad  (Read 38899 times)
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2016, 05:46:11 PM »

Don't you need some proven international experience in there though as well?

why? the experience we have from those with experience is failure and nerves. In four years, they will have experience too when we might have a real chance

Or you could mentally damage the young players.  

Look how the best teams of the last 2 decades went about things.  They brought players through from under 18 all the way through the under 21's and 23's and brought them into their senior sides.  

This is where teams from these Islands tend to fail.  England promote one or two potential superstars at a time, Scotland don't tend to play anyone under the age of 30.  Wales never seem to get enough talent at anyone time but when they do they tend to give it a go.   The NI/ROI don't seem to give youth a chance at all.   Or when they do they cap them young to try and stop them being snapped up elsewhere and then tend not to play them.  

If you were to go down your route, personally I'd bring in a Sports Psychologist to work with the players before hand and  mentally prepare them for failure but with the intention to come right back stronger, not sure Roy has the foresight for that.  
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2016, 06:28:15 PM »

Surprised Mason and Rose aren't being mentioned. Spurs have the best defensive unit in the league and Rose has been the first choice left back. He's improved substantially in the last two seasons and is a genuine threat up the wing. A team with two DMs needs wing backs and he's ideal.

As for Mason, he again fits the model of box to box and has already made his debut for England. High energy,  pressing midfielders are what we need. One Leg Wilshere alongside Henderson is a sure fire way to an extended pre season holiday.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
HutchGF

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2016, 06:32:14 PM »

Can someone not find an English grandparent for Mahrez?

Seriously though, we absolutely must learn from previous errors. Do not pick players on reputation (AKA Rooney) and pick players who are in good form and performing well in the Premiership.

Would love to see Drinkwater and Dier in the midfield, the two best English midfielders on current form. I want to see Alii as one of the attacking three midfielders. I want to see Vardy on the shoulder of the last defender terrifying people with his pace.

What I'll get is Henderson (sigh) Sterling (what has he actually done this season?) and Rooney (huge sigh) with Walcott probably on the other wing (what has he ever done?).
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2016, 06:38:23 PM »

If (and it's a fairly big if) Wilshere and Ox are both fit they will both start.

Wilshere has been MOTM in his last 2/3 starts for England and Woy loves Ox too.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2016, 06:43:56 PM »

Oxlade chamberlain definitely will not start

squad player, off the bench maybe.

not a starting player in a front three in a euro2016 game, of that i am absolutely certain. not consistent or reliable enough

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2016, 06:51:23 PM »

lets accept he'll start rooney up top. i know, but lets accept it

he then has to pick three of the following behind, two wide once central

vardy, kane, sturridge, welbeck, alli, barkley, sterling, lallana, walcott, milner

depending on what combination he wants, how narrow he wants to play, whether he wants defensive help in front of the full backs

i wouldn't have Ox ahead of any of these

Ralph are you seriously saying you would?

that said, i have just checked and ralph has a point, ox started in 7 of the euro2016 qualifiers

My eyes are open wide
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2016, 07:06:54 PM »

Ox has played much better for England than he ever has for Arsenal

I am not a fan but he is 100% in the squad and probably the team
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2016, 07:14:36 PM »

He picked both Ox and Walcott during the qualifiers when he could and always started Ox ahead of Theo as far as I recall.

He also played Jack as a holding midfielder, a position he hasn't played for Arsenal since he was a teenager being educated by AW. I hesitate to mention his full name as I don't want to trigger the sprinkler-system.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2016, 07:39:51 PM »

Oxlade chamberlain definitely will not start

squad player, off the bench maybe.

not a starting player in a front three in a euro2016 game, of that i am absolutely certain. not consistent or reliable enough

I agree they will both be in squad but don't think they'll start.  Of course in reality Wilshire has no business being anywhere near the squad but this is Hodgson.
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2016, 06:58:49 PM »

if Kane doesn't start as the out and out striker its a complete joke. He's the perfect striker, especially the perfect lone striker. He can head, tackle, shoot from far, shoot from near, brings others into the game, is fit, doesn't get injured, always plays 90 minutes.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
anthonyl
Old blog:

www.lindfield1984.blogspot.com

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2016, 07:57:16 PM »

Hart

Clyne  Jagielka   Smalling   Shaw

Dier
         Alli        Barkley

Sturridge    Kane        Vardy

Although, I can see it being Rooney in for Vardy, and Sterling in for sturridge

Weetabix

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2016, 01:21:37 AM »

Any idea how many goals Harry Kane has scored from outside the box?  No matter which team they put out it is going to be a painful experience watching this lot.  Are we still building for the future?  I recall hearing these words 12 years ago and the England team becomes worse as each tournament comes around.
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2016, 12:14:10 PM »

Any idea how many goals Harry Kane has scored from outside the box?  No matter which team they put out it is going to be a painful experience watching this lot.  Are we still building for the future?  I recall hearing these words 12 years ago and the England team becomes worse as each tournament comes around.

2 goals in the league from outside of the box from 39 attempts.
NoCardDSC

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2016, 12:35:29 PM »

Unsure if I agree with this, I think our strike force is pretty decent at a Euro level. I do think defensively, particularly at central defence we need to improve.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2016, 12:52:25 PM »

latest friendly squad

England squad

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Stoke City), Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (Manchester City).

Defenders: Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Everton), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur).

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Ross Barkley (Everton), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Danny Drinkwater (Leicester City), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), James Milner (Liverpool), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City).

Forwards: Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Jamie Vardy (Leicester City), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal).

My eyes are open wide
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: