blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:02:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272538 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Bad Beat Hotel - great story
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bad Beat Hotel - great story  (Read 4852 times)
Bert Lahr
Probation

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2016, 05:30:22 PM »

Just read a great new poker book.  It is not about strategy or how to become Doyle Brunson; definitely not!
I was looking for books about poker on my Kindle and came across this one  (Bad Beat Hotel).  It is a novel about a bunch of guys who play poker in an amateur club in Scotland (and occasionally in home games).  The characters in it are a real mixed bag, and the poker played is very real, but it is more about why each of the characters play, and the background and secrets that they have.  Some of the scenes were hilarious and reminded me of my worst times at poker.  Other parts of the book were really tragic (a chapter about two of the guys learning to play when they were confined in a psychiatric unit).
Strongly recommended for anyone playing poker at any level, and for people not playing poker at all - you don't have to know much about the game to enjoy the book! 
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 05:46:18 PM »

Even Barry wouldn't get away with this. I'm going to guess at 5.30.......

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Bert Lahr
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 05:54:32 PM »

It was £2.73 on Amazon......
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 06:52:33 PM »

Appeared on Amazon 30 April.  Spammed on pocket , Hendon mob and blonde already.  Must be brilliant. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 06:54:57 PM »

Even Barry wouldn't get away with this. I'm going to guess at 5.30.......

Not sure I've spammed any books since The Mental Game of Poker was reduced to £12.80 (including delivery) on Amazon the other week.
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 06:55:41 PM »

You can read the first chapter on Amazon for free. Horrifically bad is being kind.
Bert Lahr
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 10:39:47 AM »

The first chapter is not about poker, so it does get better.....
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 10:43:47 AM »

Bert, did you write this book, or do you know the author?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 11:13:42 AM »

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 11:34:26 AM »

All the best with your book.

What was the basis of the book, real characters from your local pub/ hOme game?

Where in Scotland are you? It's a great idea for a book as you do get some great characters playing pub poker.

jakally

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 11:51:54 AM »

I know, I know.....
Was simply trying to encourage a little bit of openness, in the interests of getting a better response.
MereNovice
Gamesmaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 11:55:11 AM »

I'm planning on writing an epic about the poker life of a dashing poker amateur who cuts a swathe through the assorted characters who play 25c Spin & Go games on 'Stars. The working title is "Will they buy it???".

It's a bitter-sweet tale recounting the calamitous down-swings and heartening up-turns of our hero "DearHovis" who spends his days battling an entertaining cast of characters as he strives to meet the daily "PokerStars Giveaway Challenges". You will get to learn about (and love) regulars such as "PhilSpivey" who plays regularly and likes to educate his opponents when they make sub-optimal calls, "BillHellmouth" who abuses anyone who calls him with a better hand and "deejay" who consistently folds to lock up second place in these high-pressure winner takes all games,

It will contain details of the time I our hero won a $6.25 game and also reveal my his anguish at losing 13 successive games and the effect it had on his relationship with his wine cellar.
Admittedly, the first chapter is about this week's offers at Asda but it sets the scene nicely and allows you to understand the motivations of our hero.

You can book a copy by sending me a very reasonable £99.99 to the usual account and I will send a signed copy to the first thousand subscribers from The Bahamas. You will also get first dibs at securing a copy of the sequel "It worked once so...!!!".
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 11:58:28 AM by MereNovice » Logged

Reigning Blonde Fantasy Ashes and Super League Champions
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 12:25:01 PM »

I know, I know.....
Was simply trying to encourage a little bit of openness, in the interests of getting a better response.

Ha, yes, I gathered as much.

I hope the chap's book sells well, I really do.

I do find it all rather odd, to be honest.

In his spot, I'd come onto a new forum as a complete stranger, full of regulars who I don't know, & say something like.....

Hey Guys,

My name is Bert, my mate (or me) have written a book, it's his first attempt. What do you think?

Instead, we get "hey guys, I just read a great new poker book". Which, you know, rather insults our intelligence, & gets us all off on the wrong foot.

Probably best not to tell us it is a "great story" either. The human mind does not react well to being told what to think by strangers.

Anyway, I hope your book sells a good few copies, Bert. I'd love to be brave or well-versed enough to write a book, so I'm actually a shade jealous.  

If it helps, here's the Amazon link......

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bad-Beat-Hotel-story-plumbing-ebook/dp/B01F19UJZK?ie=UTF8&keywords=bad+beat+hotel&qid=1462301258&ref_=sr_1_1&s=books&sr=1-1
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 12:28:50 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 12:25:42 PM »

I'm planning on writing an epic about the poker life of a dashing poker amateur who cuts a swathe through the assorted characters who play 25c Spin & Go games on 'Stars. The working title is "Will they buy it???".

It's a bitter-sweet tale recounting the calamitous down-swings and heartening up-turns of our hero "DearHovis" who spends his days battling an entertaining cast of characters as he strives to meet the daily "PokerStars Giveaway Challenges". You will get to learn about (and love) regulars such as "PhilSpivey" who plays regularly and likes to educate his opponents when they make sub-optimal calls, "BillHellmouth" who abuses anyone who calls him with a better hand and "deejay" who consistently folds to lock up second place in these high-pressure winner takes all games,

It will contain details of the time I our hero won a $6.25 game and also reveal my his anguish at losing 13 successive games and the effect it had on his relationship with his wine cellar.
Admittedly, the first chapter is about this week's offers at Asda but it sets the scene nicely and allows you to understand the motivations of our hero.

You can book a copy by sending me a very reasonable £99.99 to the usual account and I will send a signed copy to the first thousand subscribers from The Bahamas. You will also get first dibs at securing a copy of the sequel "It worked once so...!!!".

Now you definitely should write a book, for sure.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 12:29:41 PM »

And here's what the book looks like.....

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: