blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:51:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Is late regging a Sat the way forward?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is late regging a Sat the way forward?  (Read 3421 times)
Mohican

View Profile WWW
« on: May 08, 2016, 10:28:08 PM »

Trying to Sat my way into the WPT National at DTD in a few weeks and i've noticed that the late reg period is till the end of level ten. If I then late reg in level ten i'd have 18 bb's to play with which is loads in a sat. My question- is late regging a sat a better way of approaching these than playing the  tournament from the beginning?

Cymru am byth
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 10:46:24 PM »

Trying to Sat my way into the WPT National at DTD in a few weeks and i've noticed that the late reg period is till the end of level ten. If I then late reg in level ten i'd have 18 bb's to play with which is loads in a sat. My question- is late regging a sat a better way of approaching these than playing the  tournament from the beginning?

?Yes massively.  Esp in most DTD sats where there are massive overlays.  I have won numerous DTD seats buying at the last minute, playing one hand and time banking and folding to a seat.
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 12:52:36 AM »

1 in 5 yes 1 in 20 no, depends in between is a reasonable base line although there are lots of factors such as field composition at the start and at the end etc.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 01:48:14 AM »

1 in 5 yes 1 in 20 no, depends in between is a reasonable base line although there are lots of factors such as field composition at the start and at the end etc.
20 seats guaranteed and 197 runners so it worked out at 1 in ten. Regged at level 8 cos i was bored waiting and managed to bink a seat. Still undecided although late rigging meant i didn't have play boring sat poker for as long. Will be playing some more sats for further live comps so will see what happens. I think maybe late regging when i did gave me a decent chunk to play with and i think might be a better way of going about it as my starting stack was only 5 or 6 k down on the average stack size.

Cymru am byth
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 01:53:35 AM »

Also if you are allowed a double/triple add on at the end of late reg for the same price as buying in originally it is a total no brainer to enter right at the end of late entry.   Most dtd sats used to be like this.  Not sure if they still are.  The amount of people who used to play a £50 rebuy with single rebuys before for the add on break for £50 and take the single add on were incredible.   Otherwise you can pay £50 for a double/triple add on at the break when you buy in and get far more chips for the same price.  Half the original field were bust out before the double/triple add on even came around and couldn't have it.  I used to find it amazing how many people in sats for £1k seats had no idea about the optimal strategy to use to play them.
Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 01:58:05 AM »

No rebuys/add ons in these.

Cymru am byth
OverTheBorder

just one of those days

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 07:44:26 AM »

The problem is, too many do it and sometimes the value ones don't start. Hyper annoying when it hits 19 runners, probably more so for Rob
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 09:27:41 AM »

The problem is, too many do it and sometimes the value ones don't start. Hyper annoying when it hits 19 runners, probably more so for Rob

But if they structure them so it makes no sense to reg from the start what do they expect?

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 09:55:04 AM »

these are freezeout satellites

it makes less sense to wiat to the end

last night with 197 runners and 20 seats there were 129 left at the end of level 10

starting with 18x bb and no add on meant you couldn't wait that long, register last gasp and coast to a seat

better to build a stack earlier, even if not from the very start, then coast.

the perennial problem i/they have is starting these, but its not so much a problem the way they are currently structured

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
PathFinder

@AWI_POKER

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 11:28:03 AM »

But if they structure them so it makes no sense to reg from the start what do they expect?

FWIW I love the structures of the sats. Please don't change them. As there are no rebuys/addons there are no disadvantages of regging from the start. It's all dependant how comfortable you feel with different stack depths
Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 11:01:28 PM »

last night with 197 runners and 20 seats there were 129 left at the end of level 10

starting with 18x bb and no add on meant you couldn't wait that long, register last gasp and coast to a seat

the perennial problem i/they have is starting these, but its not so much a problem the way they are currently structured
As the sat went on I realised that waiting for level 10,with the numbers still in, wasn't going to be ideal and therefore i regged in level 7 and still had a decent stack size to start building. The average stack size at this point was less than 40 (maybe 36) so starting with 30k really didn't penalise me at this point. Im gonna try to qualify for a second bullet so will late reg again around level 6 or 7 and see what happens. I think there is a definite benefit to doing this but will see what the outcome is after a few sats.

Cymru am byth
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 12:06:00 AM »

How long did it go on for Rich? One of the reasons I used to late reg was simply to cut down the playing time from 4 hours to 2.

If I see a deep stack sat with 10 or 12 minute levels there's no way I'm playing it. They just go on too long.

I not moaning about the structures by the way. For what it's worth I think freeze out is by far the best and if I was inclined to play it would always be my preference.

Hope they do well with these.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 10:03:36 AM »

How long did it go on for Rich? One of the reasons I used to late reg was simply to cut down the playing time from 4 hours to 2.

If I see a deep stack sat with 10 or 12 minute levels there's no way I'm playing it. They just go on too long.

I not moaning about the structures by the way. For what it's worth I think freeze out is by far the best and if I was inclined to play it would always be my preference.

Hope they do well with these.

last night

10 seat GTD

Start 9pm

late reg for 10 levels 10.25pm

93 runners

hit ten seats at 11.45pm

the idea here is turbo freezeouts, 8 min levels starting at 75-150 ra 25

ie you aren't playing all night and not throwing chunks at it to be competitive against big pockets

My eyes are open wide
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 11:29:38 AM »

Love it. Just under 3 hours is pretty much my limit for online poker concentration so these could tempt me back.

Is it the same structure as they get to the higher levels? I used to find that the feeders were reasonable but when you got to the one that mattered you'd be up all night.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 11:42:38 AM »

Love it. Just under 3 hours is pretty much my limit for online poker concentration so these could tempt me back.

Is it the same structure as they get to the higher levels? I used to find that the feeders were reasonable but when you got to the one that mattered you'd be up all night.

that is for the higher level

the WPT Nat sats are $22 into $109

the $109 done and dusted in 2 hours 45 last night

--

in general the move is to a) freezeouts b) shorter clocks

they did experiment with earlier starts, but getting the games going was an issue

there is also an education process as players are used to rebuy/add-on and long clock and "big stacks,plenty of play"

these play absolutely fine though

My eyes are open wide
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: