blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:22:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  The 2016 Ryder Cup
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 2016 Ryder Cup  (Read 16270 times)
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2016, 09:22:09 AM »

Kaymer and Westwood have been Europe's worst two players. So much for picking wild cards with experience. Should have taken Knox and Noren.

aftertiming

Already got 6 rookies.

Clarke would have been slaughtered in the press if he'd picked another 2 and Europe had lost.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Tonibell

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2016, 10:07:49 AM »

If we're cracking out the aftertime emoji...

Top European Scorer is now looking like a field with only six live runners and the books have gone 1/5 1,2,3. Cheers,Tighty and The Camel.
 aftertiming aftertiming aftertiming
 Click to see full-size image.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2016, 10:27:27 AM »

If we're cracking out the aftertime emoji...

Top European Scorer is now looking like a field with only six live runners and the books have gone 1/5 1,2,3. Cheers,Tighty and The Camel.
 aftertiming aftertiming aftertiming
 Click to see full-size image.

That isn't the greatest aftertime, as Cabrera Bello and Pieters weren't in the original top 6 in the betting?  I think it is probable that the top 4 play every game right now.  Only if one has an absolute shocker in the morning is it likely to change.

I think nobody has 2 points yet across the board, so still very wide open.  There can't be any chance for Kuchar now, though I can't think of a reason that will mean he doesn't play in the afternoon.  So the place is still a possible

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2016, 10:54:37 AM »

My post was a bit tongue in cheek Keith. However, I do think if Europe were to suffer a big loss and Westwood plays as badly as he did yesterday again, then Clarke will probably be pilloried for picking his out of form mate over an in form player. I really don't buy the rookie thing anyway. These guys are all professionals who have won tournaments at the highest level. Russell Knox has won a WGC and been a successful tour player for a number of years. He's not going to wilt because a few yanks are chanting before his first tee shot.

Free Golf Tips - www.fairwaywedge.com

@fairwaywedge
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2016, 11:06:00 AM »

My post was a bit tongue in cheek Keith. However, I do think if Europe were to suffer a big loss and Westwood plays as badly as he did yesterday again, then Clarke will probably be pilloried for picking his out of form mate over an in form player. I really don't buy the rookie thing anyway. These guys are all professionals who have won tournaments at the highest level. Russell Knox has won a WGC and been a successful tour player for a number of years. He's not going to wilt because a few yanks are chanting before his first tee shot.

Agreed.

No aftertiming here Wink, I clearly stated Westwood shouldn't be going a long time ago. Knox is rated 19 in the world, based on grafting in the States. It was a no brainer. Westwood moved to the States to mix it with the best and it ruined him(relatively speaking).

For all that, I think we can win this now. If the US don't regroup quickly after some remarkable turn round in form, for the worse, yesterday, it could be a quiet day for the Yanks.

FWIW, I thought Pieters and Rafa were superb, Sulli got a bit unlucky with some crucial shots and Willet got F all help from Kaymer. The rookies did more than their share.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
buzzharvey22

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2016, 11:47:49 AM »

So you guys dont think a players Ryder Cup record means somebody deserves a pick? An absolute Ryder Cup stalwart with vast experience, a great record accross the formats, traditionally very easy to partner with rookies, and very likeable and popular with his peers.

In 2003 and 2004, Colin Montgomerie looked like he had never seen a golfclub before in his life, and had off course issues. But was still deserving of a pick, simply because of his record and experience. And that worked out pretty well for us.

Doesnt matter what form your in, a long and great ryder cup record deserves you on free pass as a wildcard pick.

rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2016, 11:59:51 AM »

Hugely disagree with that Buzz. Guys shouldn't be given a shot if they've had a terrible season  just because they've performed well in previous RCs. Let them be vice captains instead. Poulter injury was a massive blessing imo. Clarke would have felt obiiged to give a pick despite him being carried at Gleneagles.

@fairwaywedge
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2016, 12:00:37 PM »

So you guys dont think a players Ryder Cup record means somebody deserves a pick? An absolute Ryder Cup stalwart with vast experience, a great record accross the formats, traditionally very easy to partner with rookies, and very likeable and popular with his peers.

In 2003 and 2004, Colin Montgomerie looked like he had never seen a golfclub before in his life, and had off course issues. But was still deserving of a pick, simply because of his record and experience. And that worked out pretty well for us.

Doesnt matter what form your in, a long and great ryder cup record deserves you on free pass as a wildcard pick.

Ah. I see you are applying The Wenger Formula.....Past achievements over ride current achievements. Cheesy

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
buzzharvey22

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2016, 12:15:01 PM »

Hugely disagree with that Buzz. Guys shouldn't be given a shot if they've had a terrible season  just because they've performed well in previous RCs. Let them be vice captains instead. Poulter injury was a massive blessing imo. Clarke would have felt obiiged to give a pick despite him being carried at Gleneagles.

I just think a strong Ryder Cup record deserves you one free pass. Pretty sure a lot of the lads in the dressing room would choose Lee than anybody else. I actually had Westwood as my first pick.

I think the Kaymer selection is possibly a bit more controversial. Since he squandered a huge lead in the last round in Dubai (i think) he hasn't really shown any form and i can't remember him being in contention much. Even though he is mainly based on the weaker European Tour.

Hard job for Clarke this year, because it's pretty clear, talentwise, it's the weakest team we've had for a long while.
rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2016, 01:15:36 PM »

I actually disagree about it being weak talent wise. It think it's perceived as weak because of a lack of experience but Fitzpatrick is as talented a young player that Britain has produced since Rory, Willett won The Masters, Wood won the European Tour flagship event, Pieters is widely regarded to be a potential future world number 1. Really it's only RCB and Sullivan that could be argued to not quite be at the true top level and RCB played absolutely superbly last night.

I think the US is overhyped because of the huge publicity vehicle that is the PGA Tour.

@fairwaywedge
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2016, 06:40:44 PM »

Let's be honest, if Europe lose Clarke will be pilloried whatever decisions he makes because the media are the biggest after timers around.

The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2016, 06:42:40 PM »

This crowd is starting to remind me of the behaviour at the War on the Shore.

Whooping and hollering when Rose put it in the water.

rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2016, 07:15:05 PM »

Is there any disagreement that Clarke has bottled it here with his foursomes? Putting Westwood. Kaymer and Willett back in when they've been the weakest players going smacks of weak leadership.

@fairwaywedge
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2016, 07:25:06 PM »

crikey don't agree with playing those three. Kaymer and Westwood in particular were dreadful yesterday

unless he thinks RCB is knackered that is, but even then sure Wood or Sullivan would do a job this afternoon. Wood very steady today.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2016, 07:27:13 PM »

I thought he'd play the same 8 that played this morning.

Except maybe give Garcia an afternoon off and replace him with Willett.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: