blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:58:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  The 2016 Ryder Cup
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 2016 Ryder Cup  (Read 16268 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2016, 11:15:44 AM »

we got thumped, with about 5 passengers on the team

but we won the post match press conferences

Willett asked at press conference to describe first Ryder Cup experience. 'Shit,' he says. He's asked to elaborate. 'Really shit,' he says

Westwood meanwhile said in response to a question about heckling "yesterday i was called a turd for the first time since i was about 12"

meanwhile, a single US player was left a little isolated...

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 03, 2016, 11:24:21 AM »

I think it's now safe to say that PJ Willett has been exonerated.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 03, 2016, 11:26:45 AM »

nonsense. he's obviously right but shouldn't have said it and screwed up his brother's mental state the week of the event.

slightly surprised it affected danny quite as it did, but to say PJ is exonerated is wrong in my opinion.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2016, 11:28:51 AM »

Yeah with brothers like that who needs enemy's.
Right or wrong it was a stupid and selfish thing to do.

Shit post Nakor, such a clown.

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2016, 03:13:52 PM »

Lee Westwood is 43, his short game and putting have been poor for about the last 10 years. He tells Clarke not to pick him on Saturday morning coz he needs to do some work on his game. Clarke picks him to play that afternoon. What work did they expect him to get in on Saturday morning that would cure 10 years of poor short game and putting?

Very weak by Clarke for me, seemed to get bogged down with a pre event plan that his rookies would be the weak part of the team and the experienced guys would have to play more. Was pretty obvious that Westy and Kaymer were playing poorly and I couldn't believe he picked Westy to play on Saturday afternoon. Tbf to Westy he almost got it done but how do you justify picking someone on merit in that spot given he has told you is game isn't there.

Seemed like a pre event plan got in the way of Clarkes eyes to me.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 03:15:59 PM by bobby1 » Logged

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
marcro

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 03, 2016, 04:01:38 PM »

Lee Westwood is 43, his short game and putting have been poor for about the last 10 years. He tells Clarke not to pick him on Saturday morning coz he needs to do some work on his game. Clarke picks him to play that afternoon. What work did they expect him to get in on Saturday morning that would cure 10 years of poor short game and putting?

Very weak by Clarke for me, seemed to get bogged down with a pre event plan that his rookies would be the weak part of the team and the experienced guys would have to play more. Was pretty obvious that Westy and Kaymer were playing poorly and I couldn't believe he picked Westy to play on Saturday afternoon. Tbf to Westy he almost got it done but how do you justify picking someone on merit in that spot given he has told you is game isn't there.

Seemed like a pre event plan got in the way of Clarkes eyes to me.

Agreed.

I was very disappointed he did not pick Knox as a wildcard, how could you not pick someone who has won twice of the PGA tour in the last 12 months?

Also, his pairings clearly showed he was out of his depth.  After the 4-0 hammering in the opening session he was like a deer in the headlights.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 03, 2016, 04:17:34 PM »

I think it's unfair to blame Clarke.

The simple fact is outside the top 4 or 5 players of both teams - where I think Europe might have a small edge - in the bottom part of the teams the USA had a huge talent advantage.

Several players who should be at their absolute peak have disappeared off the Ryder Cup radar completely - I'm thinking about Donald, GMac, Dubuisson, Colsaerts. These guys should be the heart of the team, but seem to have lost their form completely.

Maybe guys like Sullivan, Fitzpatrick and Wood will step up for the experience and become top 20 golfers. But unless Europe find another 3 or 4 world class players, I can see USA dominating the Ryder Cup for the next decade at least.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
NoCardDSC

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 03, 2016, 05:59:22 PM »

Someone offered me evens that Poulter would be Ryder Cup captain before 2030.

Good bet?

The way I see it:

2018 Bjorn
2020 Westwood
2022 Poulter
2024 GMac
2026 Sergio

Only candidates who could get onto that list are Jiminez (bit too old now?), Padraig (not too well liked among the players is he?) and Lawrie (not really known for Ryder Cup exploits) I think.

I think Poulter is a cert to captain before 2030.

Not sure where Cup is heading when in Europe, but a Poulter captaincy at Woburn would be incred.

Wow I would certainly take the Ryder Cup at my home course Smiley Can't see it unfortunately.
rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 03, 2016, 06:02:41 PM »

Russell Knox is a top 20 golfer and we didn't take him.

Free Golf Tips - www.fairwaywedge.com

@fairwaywedge
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 03, 2016, 06:45:30 PM »

I think Clarke is totally to blame.

I'm not suggesting he cost us the Cup, but he cost us momentum by making stupid choices at a critical time.

Ben Coley in Sporting Life wrote a superb piece on it but as I'm abroad I can't open it now, but would ask if someone could post it please?

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 03, 2016, 06:54:46 PM »

Here. Quite aftertimey, but an interesting read nonetheless

www.sportinglife.com/golf/news/article/2/10603007/ben-coley-reflects-on-mistakes-made-by-europe-captain-darren-clarke-as-usa-won-the-ryder-cup
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 03, 2016, 06:58:53 PM »

Why do you think Adz liked it so much Grin

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 03, 2016, 07:09:03 PM »

Could I interest you in a tin hat at a reasonable price?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
nellberg

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 03, 2016, 07:12:23 PM »

Surely the Knox fans wanted him there ahead of Pieters, who got 4 points? we already took 6 rookies, replacing Westwood or Kaymer with another rookie would have lead to everyone after-timing and saying we needed experience.

I don't think Clarke was great, they'd be decisions he made that he'd like to revisit in hindsight, but we were beat by a better side playing with home advantage.

Hopefully guys like Pieters, RCB, Wood and Willett can use these experiences (good and bad) to push on and put it right in 2 years time
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 03, 2016, 09:36:47 PM »

Cheers Bergeroo.

Marky don't need a hard hat. Nowt in that coconut to damage. Smiley

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: