blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:23:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Ping Pong charity match: who you got?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ping Pong charity match: who you got?  (Read 10043 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2016, 04:35:57 PM »

Charity Table Tennis Challenge.

Alex Goulder has Challenged DTD owner and Former 5 Nottingham Table Tennis Champ Rob Yong to a Table Tennis match during the WPT.

The bet is £10,000 and Simon Deadman has taken half the bet.

Alex gets 10 head start first to 21 over 1 game.

Both players have pledged their winnings to charity

A table has been ordered for the marquee that will be up during the DTD.

--

Evens each of two, Alex +10, who you got?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 04:38:37 PM by TightEnd » Logged

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
POWWWWWWWW

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 05:11:55 PM »

Does Alex have any background in table tennis? Surely dead money if not?
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 05:35:26 PM »

I bet he wouldn't play if the other fella was 6ft 5
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 05:38:01 PM »

I bet he wouldn't play if the other fella was 6ft 5

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 05:52:10 PM »

Technique, experience and skill will be everything.

A couple of years ago, I got challenged to a badminton game in Vegas by someone ~ 20 years my junior, on the grounds that they could run me into the ground.  A 30 points to 1 wuppin' later (he called one of my serves out, which was very dubious, to avoid the brush) and he got the idea that with no technique, it wasn't going to be me doing the running.

So, the 10 point spot suggests that Rob has some sort of pedigree that Alex doesn't.  If he plays matchplay well (in other words, takes a low variance route to grinding the hcap off) then he should be able to overcome the handicap, with enough wriggle room to be able to deal with Alex winning a few points.

A vote for the old guard on this one Smiley

I KNOW IT

I'm the one the right ;)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 06:15:47 PM »

Does Alex get to choose the type of bats they use ?

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them." "Heart is what separates the good from the great. '

"All money is good, just the quantity makes it better"
      My Dad

"Poker Players and Vultures are alike. They both live off the flesh of the weak"
         Tony Bolto
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 06:55:06 PM »

I've played squash against someone of County level and as a reasonable club player there's just nothing you can do. No matter what you throw at them they just flick it back like they're still warming up. F**kers don't even move.

Unless Alex is keeping something up his sleeve he's going to get destroyed.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 07:20:18 PM »

I've played squash against someone of County level and as a reasonable club player there's just nothing you can do. No matter what you throw at them they just flick it back like they're still warming up. F**kers don't even move.

Agree with this massively in such a technique sport.  I would back myself for big money at a similar age to Rob now having not playing any competitive national league level basketball for 16 years (but given a couple of weeks training to get the touch back like Rob will have) to out shoot any county player Alex's age who is currently playing in a 3 point shooting competition.  You just don't lose the technique with age.  Fair play to Alex for the bet he must have a few stone in hand on all known form to even think he has a chance imo if Rob was that decent in his prime.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 07:39:24 PM »

i'm the only one who can't help but smile whenever anyone says "ping-pong" ?

DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 09:33:21 PM »

Any restrictions on preparation? I assume not as its unenforceable

The trouble with these kind of bets is that if Rob decides to put in the practice then you're just dead and buried, never gunna get a serve back

Congrats to the charity!

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 01:45:13 AM »

This brings to mind a story that my dad once told me about a top-class player giving a decent amateur five points for money, followed by ten points then fifteen, and winning all of the games as the gulf in class was too great to overcome.

My dad was an England table-tennis international between the wars when Fred Perry was the #1.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 01:55:38 AM »

I was a decent U19 county squash player back in the day, whilst I'm an unfit fat fk now what you say is 100% true. I can't chase the ball now but I dont have to unless I'm up against a good player, I still have 75% of the racquet skill which is enough to beat virtually all chancers and most average club players.

Alex is fked unless he has some decent credentials in TT......
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 02:00:46 AM »

Only saving grace I see is all public schools had loads of TT going on as they really encouraged sports and it was everywhere.

So as a public school ponce myself we played a shit load of TT and we were all reasonably decent (compared to your average bear). If Alex was at the top of that tree maybe he has a shot  Grin
IT5PAYDAY

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 02:03:46 AM »

Respect to both guys! All for a good cause. Echo what previous people have said.... If Alex experiences in TT is a few games with family members at Butlins then he's going to get destroyed.
iangascoigne

Just getting started.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 10:05:55 AM »

I have a strange feeling that 'Butlins' was an unlikely destination for the Goulder family holidays. Just a hunch.

Father of Ed and Alice, grandfather to Toby. That is enough for anyone. Twitter @IanGas
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: