blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:31:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Acceptable age to leave a child unattended.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Acceptable age to leave a child unattended.  (Read 3187 times)
Mohican

View Profile WWW
« on: October 22, 2016, 12:01:15 PM »

This morning I had to pop out to get my haircut and Mrs Mo wanted to go shopping. She obvs wanted to go unhindered by children and therefore was going to wait for my return. I half jokingly suggested she left Boy1 at home on his Xbox and just take the youngest two and I would return straight after my scalping. Boy1 is ten in December and a very sensible lad(must get that from his mother) and I personally wouldn't doubt his ability to be home alone for short periods of time. Obvs Mrs Mo doesn't agree he should be left alone so that was the end of that train of thought. I just wondered what age you lot think that this scenario should start to happen? Also, anyone know what the law says is acceptable.

Cymru am byth
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 12:07:16 PM »

Mine are 20 and 17 now, leaving them home alone brings all sorts of other risks.....

From memory, I think we went with around 12 or 13 for short periods.

The law is (correctly IMO) fairly vague https://www.gov.uk/law-on-leaving-your-child-home-alone
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 12:14:31 PM »

I only left mine alone short time at 13.. Don't think you can be too careful ... Prefer to err on caution...

When that poor 5 year old in Wales I think was kidnapped and murdered there was a big discussion on here and lots thought it was acceptable for a five year old to play outside in the dark unaccompanied by an adult...

I'm going to tell you now... They were wrong !.... That is tantamount to negligence a bit like leaving your 4 year old and two babies alone whilst you piss it up 200 yards away on holiday .. But that's a whole other can of worms

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 12:37:04 PM »

We've said we'd leave our 12 year old for short period whilst we popped to the shops when she didn't want come, but she didn't want to be home alone more so ended up coming.  She'd rather come with us than be alone.

Wouldn't have offered before 12 I don't think - it never crossed my mind.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 12:41:18 PM »

Depends how grown up they are and how long for.

Mine sometimes prefer to just sit in the car sonetimes if I pop into the shop/takeaway for 5 minutes.  My eldest is 8 and my wife has left her whilst taking the other to nursery.  Maybe 15 minutes.  I wouldn't, but think she'll be fine in a year or two.  I have fallen asleep in front of the tv without them killing each other.  I was really sick in the summer and my 8 year old managed to make some biscuits without burning the house down.  I had said I'd help her when I felt better, but didn't feel we enough to leave the bed.  Sure 20/30 minutes or do would be fine if he is 10 and anything like my daughter.

I wouldn't leave them sleeping whilst I went to a bar or let them play outside in the dark without watching them.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 12:15:33 AM »

I think I was about 11 when i was first left, maybe a bit younger.  But that was the 80's and we played on ths streets and there was alays neighbours around.  I've left my niece alone for 5 - 10 minutes when i have nipped out to the shop. 

I think it has to be a case by case basis.

I certanly wouldn't do a McCann though. 
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 12:18:56 AM »

I think I was about 11 when i was first left, maybe a bit younger.  But that was the 80's and we played on ths streets and there was alays neighbours around.  I've left my niece alone for 5 - 10 minutes when i have nipped out to the shop. 

No one with an ounce of common would do a Mccann...

Thinking back i remember being left in the car with some crisps and a coke whilst adults went in the pub was prob about ten.. late seventies.. may sue mum for negligence Smiley

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 12:23:23 AM »

Thinking back i remember being left in the car with some crisps and a coke whilst adults went in the pub was prob about ten.. late seventies.. may sue mum for negligence Smiley

Ha in that case i was being left outside pubs since about 5 going to watch Celtic.  But that never felt like being left unattended. 
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 03:31:36 AM »

What if you've got a mortgage to pay?

I was left at home for up to an hour every day after school from the age of like 12, once managed to put a bowling ball through a plug socket but aside from that it all went smoothly :p

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 05:51:25 AM »

It t is pretty standard to see older primary school kids Year 5 or 6 (so aged 10 or 11)  walking to school unaccompanied and that to me presents more risks than leaving a sensible 10 year old at home for a short period.

The start of secondary school at 11 is a big stage of growing up (and a culture shock for many) and again it is totally standard for 11 year olds to make there own way to school by foot,  bus, train, bike etc and many return home to an empty house before parents get back.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 10:47:33 AM »

It t is pretty standard to see older primary school kids Year 5 or 6 (so aged 10 or 11)  walking to school unaccompanied and that to me presents more risks than leaving a sensible 10 year old at home for a short period.

The start of secondary school at 11 is a big stage of growing up (and a culture shock for many) and again it is totally standard for 11 year olds to make there own way to school by foot,  bus, train, bike etc and many return home to an empty house before parents get back.

My daughter has been asking to walk to school by herself for much of the last year.  She is very nearly 9 now.  When I walk with her, she just cycles off ahead.  She manages to cross the road by herself and is pretty good at looking around.  The 4 year old is hopeless with roads.

There is always the odd moron who thinks it is reasonable to drive past the two schools near me at 50.  Makes barely any sense as there is aways a queue on the morning at the end to get on the bigger main road.  But still they are there risking playing schoolchild pinball on a morning.  They are a way bigger risk than the potential child abductors.

Should really work out how to get 20 signs outside the schools for morning and evening.  Some schools have got then in the area, but not ours.  It really isn't going to make journeys longer as the queue at the end is inevitable in rush hour/school time.  Not sure those that drive at 50 will be any more likely to obey a 20 as a 30. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
moustache

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2016, 10:14:11 AM »

When I was young I was left alone for several hours and went to school and town by myself by the time I was 6/7, was left overnight at 10/11 and was left for 2-3 days and flying international by myself at 13. Hongkong in the early 90s was a very safe place though and I felt OK about it. I don't have kids and if I ever do in the modern environment in the UK there is no way I would do the same as a parent.
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2016, 10:18:15 AM »

I was 11. Think it depends on various factors but I would say secondary school age + generally

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2016, 09:02:15 PM »

Michael Gove under scrutiny for leaving son alone in hotel to go dancing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37815355
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: