blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:22:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272576 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Massive comebacks
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Massive comebacks  (Read 6435 times)
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2017, 04:02:51 AM »

Very little I remember about football, but Liverpools come back to win the European cup I do remember.....

Also didn't Manure scab a couple of very late goals to win theirs? Skolshaer or whatever his name was?.......

Martin Samuel  has gone with these 2 in the Mail.
I agree with the Liverpool one because it was a a comeback in the literal sense coming back from 0-3 and in a major event.
The United one was different. Whilst a magical ending for them, the "comeback" was really just 1 last minute equalising goal which has been done a million times. If they hadn't got the 2nd it would simply have gone to extra time.
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2017, 10:29:14 AM »

Newcastle 4 - 4 Arsenal.

Not a bad come back for the Toon.

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2017, 03:13:20 PM »

The Super-bowl last night had it all

A huge lead, a fantastic comeback

elements of a choke too from the side leading, and an all time great catch from Edelman to give them a shot....

It had everything.

which got me thinking, what were the greatest sporting comebacks i could think of

single event comebacks

my mind went to Taylor v Davis 1985 but Davis only led 17-15. He did miss match ball in the final frame though

I am sure i am missing loads

help me out.

Davis was leading 8-0 tho and it should have been 9-0 but he broke down on the colours to let Dennis in. Think the match lasted about 15 hours and Dennis got up on the line to beat a guy that was dominating snooker at the time after giving him an 8 frame start. Personally I would say this is a bigger comeback than the SB as Davis was a good favourite to win every frame they played. And got to list that final black miss by Davis as a huge choke too.

Steve Hendry beat Mike Hallett in a Masters final from 7-0 and 8-2 down too.

In fact if we are using odds to determine the comebacks Seattle's comeback v Green Bay in the Conference championship game a few years ago was a bigger comeback than the SB. Pats were down by 25 with a lot of time left,Seattle down by less points but much less time left and Green Bay had the ball. Think Atlanta were 1/50 to win on Sunday and Seattle were done over 100/1 in that game.

Didnt someone win a play off game from 30 behind in the early 90's too so in truth the SB wasn't even the biggest comeback in its own sport. Deffo one of the greatest comebacks but probably not the biggest. Still well behind the 1985 snooker final for me.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 03:15:42 PM by bobby1 » Logged

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2017, 03:18:46 PM »

Found this one whilst googling:

Charlton 7 Huddersfield 6 Divison 2 1957

Charlton were losing 5-1 with less than 30 minutes to go!
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2017, 07:24:20 PM »

City at Spurs in the cup maybe 12 years ago? 3 down at half time, Barton sent off and Anelka had gone off injured. And we were shite at the time.

So obv we won 4-3 with Macken netting a last minute winner.

This one is best for me simply because they had 10 men and were underdogs pre match.  Watford had one win from 3-0 down against Bolton with about 20 minutes left as well.
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2017, 11:51:33 AM »

The almost greatest comeback 4 -0 down in 35 minutes, ended up losing 5-4 though so close but no cigar Smiley

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/flashback-coventry-citys-famous-5-4-8194722

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
exstream

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2017, 11:23:38 PM »

Barcelona vs PSG
I KNOW IT

I'm the one the right ;)

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2017, 07:09:38 AM »

Lazarus

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them." "Heart is what separates the good from the great. '

"All money is good, just the quantity makes it better"
      My Dad

"Poker Players and Vultures are alike. They both live off the flesh of the weak"
         Tony Bolto
Knottikay

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2017, 03:50:35 PM »

Lazarus

I will see your Lazarus and raise you.....

Jesus. Or even Bobby Ewing.

Life has no rebuy options
luther101

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2017, 04:43:14 PM »

City at Spurs in the cup maybe 12 years ago? 3 down at half time, Barton sent off and Anelka had gone off injured. And we were shite at the time.

So obv we won 4-3 with Macken netting a last minute winner.

This one is best for me simply because they had 10 men and were underdogs pre match.  Watford had one win from 3-0 down against Bolton with about 20 minutes left as well.

Dung - hang your (forgetful) head in shame

Tuesday, September 2, 1980

Having gone down 4-0 to First Division Southampton at the Dell in the first leg of their League Cup second round tie, Second Division Watford beat them 7 - 1  in the return leg to proceed to the next round on a 7 - 5 agg score.

superwomble

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2017, 03:43:49 PM »

FA Cup 2nd round this season.

Curzon Ashton v AFC Wimbledon.

With 10 minutes to go were 3-0 up, having been 2-0 up at half time and 3-0 up since the 62nd minute. 3 minutes later it was 3-3. Then big Tom Elliott flicked a header backwards towards goal in the 4th minute of injury time to win it 4-3 for Wimbledon. Mental!

AFC Wimbledon Poker Club - https://www.facebook.com/afcwpokerclub/
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2017, 12:22:33 AM »

Crotone fc were recently in the 8th tier of Italian football - and they narrowly escaped relegation from Seria B a couple of seasons ago.

They were promoted into Seria a.

After 10 games they had 2 points

After 19 games (half the season) they had 14 points

At the start of April they were 8 points away from safety.

They just beat Lazio 3  - 1 the 3 points make it 20 from the last 27.

Empoli lost 2-1 meaning little crotone pulled of what must be one of the greatest escapes

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 12:29:41 AM by teddybloat » Logged
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2017, 12:27:01 AM »

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/blog/espn-fc-united-blog/68/post/2834862/crotone-are-about-to-rise-to-the-top-of-italy-in-serie-a

A really nice piece on their promotion season, and the improbability of them even getting to Seria a
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: