blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:30:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Science is Amazing - a thread for Science Nerds
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Science is Amazing - a thread for Science Nerds  (Read 8297 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2017, 10:54:43 AM »

Thrilling discovery of seven Earth-sized planets orbiting nearby star

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/feb/22/thrilling-discovery-of-seven-earth-sized-planets-discovered-orbiting-trappist-1-star?CMP=twt_gu

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2017, 11:34:49 AM »

Not sure I'd call it "thrilling", Rich.

They are an impressive distance away though - 40 light years, or 235 trillion miles. 

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2017, 01:17:29 PM »

They are an impressive distance away though - 40 light years, or 235 trillion miles. 

Still a huge potential story though, despite the fact that none of us will live to see the results of any subsequent investigations.

I caught the piece on BBC news this morning which used a scale model of the solar system to give an idea of scale.  Sun to Pluto were a few feet apart on the model (in a building in Cheshire).  One that scale these systems would be somewhere beyond Cardiff.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2017, 03:27:41 PM »

Still a huge potential story though, despite the fact that none of us will live to see the results of any subsequent investigations.

I caught the piece on BBC news this morning which used a scale model of the solar system to give an idea of scale.  Sun to Pluto were a few feet apart on the model (in a building in Cheshire).  One that scale these systems would be somewhere beyond Cardiff.

Tikay will change his tune if they've got a couple train stations Wink

teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2017, 02:44:05 PM »

Ok, so i stumbled across a video about Graham's Number which is an upper bound to the number of dimensions a hyper cube can exist whereby if you coloured all its lines using two colours youcannpot avoid having a face all the same colour.

so it is a number that is part of a solution to a mathematical problem.

but the number is huge.

how huge? full write up https://waitbutwhy.com/2014/11/1000000-grahams-number.html

some cliffs:

consider a googol. 1 followed by 100 zeros.

that is pretty big. imagine filling the universe with grains of sand. you could fill the universe with sand 10 billion times over with a googol grains of sand.

a googolplex is 1 followed by a googol zeros.

imagine trying to write down the digits of a googolpex :  you have the universe filled with grains of sand. you would have to write 10 billion zeros on each grain of sand to be able to fit a numerical representation of a googolplex into the observable universe. it would take two lifetimes to complete one grain of sand.

grahams number dwarfs a googolplex.

-------------------------------------------------------

you can begin to represent it with arrow notation. let ^ = an arrowe

3^3 = 3 to the power of 3 = 27

3^^3 = 3^(3^3) = 3 to the power of 27 = about 7.6 TRILLION

so adding one arrowe moves the number from 27 to 7 trillion.

what about three arrowes

3^^^3 = 3^^(3^^)

this is 3 with a stack of threes above it 7.6 trilllion threes long.

for compassion a tower of three 3;s is 7.6 trillion. a tower with 7.6 trillion 3's yields a number that is 3.6 trillion diigits long. a googol [the niumber of grains to be able to fill the universe 10 billion times over) is 100 digits long

3^^^^3 leads to a tower of 3's that would stretch to the sun if written down. again to compare about 10 centimeters of that tower would drawf a googolplex. this tower is 150 trillion meters long.

4 arrows is not comprehensible. each arrowe makes the number more unintelligable to our brains and at four arrowes we have gone from 27 to the universe not being big enough to contain the number, literally or poetically.

but 3^^^^3 is only the start of grahams number:

----------------------------

let 3^^^^3 = G1 : a terrifying number that we cannot describe

G1 = the number of ARROWS between the 3's :  3^^^^G1^^^3

and that = G2 which is the number of arrows between the 3's in G3 etc etc

grahams number = G64

we don't know how many digits are in this number. the universe could not contain the number of digits of the number which describes the number of digits in the number which describes the number of digits Grahams number. you can iterate that by the number of atoms in the universe before you get to a number that would fit into the universe.

crazy crazy number.

BUT

we know it is an odd number. and we know it ends in a 7

and the lower bound of the n dimenisions in the problem = 12

so somewhere between 12 and Graham's Number = the answer to the problem he was trying to solve

maths eh, bloody hell

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: