blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:52:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272477 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Most memorable sporting moment witnessed?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Most memorable sporting moment witnessed?  (Read 3683 times)
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2017, 03:44:47 PM »

Not on tv, but actually experienced at the venue.

Why was it special to you?

Go!

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 03:59:13 PM »

quite a few to choose from (Longy if he sees this will have dozens, spent half his life travelling the world watching great sport)

the original Q was to exclude Leicester City (for which there are two, Claridge's 120th minute winner to beat Palace in the play off final and winning the Premier League, Everton at home)

i choose British Lions beating South Africa in Durban in 1997, which was an absolutely magic trip from start to finish and that was the highlight 

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 04:07:25 PM »

In 1961 George Swindin the Arsenal manager who was a friend of the family gave my dad and me two tickets for England v Scotland at Wembley.

I didn't realize quite how memorable it would actually become to have been one of the 97,000+ who actually witnessed this event live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFqrBatm8No

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 04:22:01 PM »

Japan vs South Africa, 2015 Rugby World Cup, Amex Stadium, Brighton.

My brother-in- law managed to get tickets for the first ever non football sporting event at the Amex and, as a huge rugby fan, I went along with him, my father-in-law - who is an Aussie and therefore has an inbuilt dislike of South African Rugby - and my friend who had been a Brighton season ticket holder since long before the Amex was built.

The week before, my seven month pregnant wife dropped the bomb that our first all day NCT session was that Saturday and I had a predicament  for all 30 second. 'I'll just leave at the lunch break, you'll be fine, we've got neices, you're good wIth them. Seven silent days later, I leave a very jealous looking group of soon-to-be dads and scornful future mums to go to the Amex - they couldn't get it through, tough break lads .

We arrive at the Amex and stock up on Ales, a luxury in a ground where I had previously been forced to neck a swift one at half time due to the FAs no alcohol in the playing arena rule. We take our seats and judging by the cheering of the team sheets and the noise during the national anthems, it's a fair mix of South African fans (45%) and neutrals (45%) plus a few Japanese (10%).

I take a look at the handicap which is -40 SA and decide to have a score for interest in Japan with the points. Little did I know I wouldn't need the points. Cue one of the most heroic sporting performances in rugby history from the side known as the Cherry Blossoms. Eddie Jones boys defend manfully and seem to have an extra couple of men on the field. Despite a clear size disadvantage they are fighting fire with fire and with 5 minutes to go, they are trailing by three points when they are awarded an eminently kickable penalty. "Take the points lads, waste a couple of minutes, you're going to draw with South Africa - the greatest result in your history". "Drawing Is for artists, Ollie. Despite our delicate nickname, we're warriors". Fair do's.

The noise when the kicked for the corner was the loudest of end sporting event I'd ever attended. A decibel record that stood for all of seven minutes. For the cheers you could tell the crowd had shifted. The stadium now housed 90% ardent Japanese fans, and a bewildered 10% South Africans who loyally tried to block out the inevitable. For the first time in its history, no one has left the Amex early.

Then it happened, after an unfathomably long spell of prolonged pressure, the Japanese spread the ball wide and the replacement winger dives over to secure the biggest rugby shock in history. Cue pandemonium in the stands, a cheer which was audible 3 miles away in Brighton (confirmed by my Brighton ticket holder mate as being at least twice as loud as anything he's heard at the stadium) and hundreds of neutrals with tears in their eyes. I felt on a natural high for about two weeks afterwards, and will never forget it.

Ruined live sport for me though, I'll never top that.

Free Golf Tips - www.fairwaywedge.com

@fairwaywedge
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 04:22:18 PM »

I had just started my first job after Uni for a golf company and was given tickets to the '89 Ryder Cup. Standing beside the 18th green on the final day is something I'll never forget.
HutchGF

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 05:29:20 PM »

Memorable for a reason other than sporting magnificence.........

Watching Lancashire playing a drab game destined for a draw in the Vegas of the North, sunny Blackpool. Was a dour affair on a terrible pitch highlighted only by getting to watch one of the greatest off all time, Muttiah Muralithuran bowling late afternoon.

With the match being such a turgid affair, my friend (who was up visiting me from down South and whom I hadn't seen since finishing uni almost a year ago) and I had sought 'refreshments' frequently during the morning and afternoon. Muttiah's name was of great delight to my friend who simply could not pronounce his name.

After a bellyful of refreshments he noticed Michael Atherton fielding on the boundary.

'Michael........Michael'

Atherton stands stoically, not entertaining the drunken fool.

'Michael...........Michael.............Michael............'

Not a flicker from Athers, focussed on his fielding.

'Michael...............Michael...............Michael...................'

This went on for roughly 20 minutes until my friend did what Alan Donald could not and wore him down. Athers turns to him and before he can speak my friend dives in with ' How do you pronounce Murderiturian?'

Athers, as straight faced as it is possible to be, 'Just like that' and returns to his fielding.

Probably one of those had to be there moments but it was just incredibly funny.
ruud

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 05:47:46 PM »

Champions League Final 2013 - Wembley

Sat in the heart of the Dortmund fans when Robben scored the last minute winner for their biggest rivals.

The Dortmund fans were incredibly gracious in defeat, never stopped singing and were cordial to the Bayern fans as we left the stadium. We were drinking with both sets of fans which was just remarkable at such a highly charged event.
atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 01:51:00 PM »

prob watching Dawn Run win gold cup ( backed it - thin brag), seems more special now than then, every time  those famous words are heard in replays is magic.

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 02:20:21 PM »

Maybe not a 'moment' as such but being around and going to a number of the 2012 Olympics events still seems like a pretty special time. It was certainly an atmosphere that I've never come across before from either civic or sporting events.

Objectively the most significant thing I saw was the basketball final (which isn't at all significant but the only other final I saw was the women's football, the rest were all heats and qualifiers).

Click to see full-size image.

Although I think a much better illustration of the Olympics is obviously going to be the beach volleyball Cheesy

Click to see full-size image.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 07:38:37 AM »

Celtic v Porto in Seville. 

The whole occasion was phenomenal I don't think I have ever seen so many Celtic fans in one place at the one time. 
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 08:58:28 AM »

Being at Headingley in 1977 for Geoff Boycott's 100th 100 is up there for me. Special moment for a sports mad then 11 year old.

On a very personal level, Wednesday destroying Sheff Utd 4-0 on Boxing Day 1979 was rather special.
nellberg

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 09:03:44 AM »

Newcastle winning away in the champions league in Feyenoord 3-2, Bellamy getting the winner in the last minute. After losing our first 3 group games we'd beat Juve and Dynamo Kiev at home to keep ourselves alive. Went 2-0 up before being pegged back to 2-2. Also needed a reserve Juve side to win in Kiev to have a chance of getting through (they won 2-0). Absolute pandemonium when Bellers netted last minute,  made the 36 hour coach journey home a fair bit more bearable 😂 at the time that made us the only side to qualify for the next round after losing our first 3 group games,  not sure if that is still the case.
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 10:31:16 AM »

This, and it's not close for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BoCVjCXuQ8

Promotion to the Premier League, after 110 years with no top flight football.  Grown men in tears all around me thinking of parents, grandparents, uncles, etc who'd not lived to see it happen.  All achieved with a squad that cost £800,000 to assemble.

Other than that, I was in the Olympic stadium for Bolt's 200m win in London, which happened to be the night that David Rudisha broke the 800m world record.  Quite an astonishing performance to witness, and not something that happens too frequently (in fact I think it's still the current record).

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 11:04:26 AM »

prob watching Dawn Run win gold cup ( backed it - thin brag), seems more special now than then, every time  those famous words are heard in replays is magic.

It's one of those rare occasions where I wonder if being there was as good as watching on TV.

Because Peter O'Sullevan's commentary "And the mare's beginning to get up!" definitely is an integral part of the memory.

EDIT: Just watched it again on youtube, it still sends a tingle down the spine..
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 11:08:22 AM by The Camel » Logged

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 04:10:31 PM »

The miracle at Medinah, I doubt i'll ever top it.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: