blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:57:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Beginners Running - Advice Needed
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beginners Running - Advice Needed  (Read 49119 times)
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« on: February 19, 2017, 01:46:59 PM »

Ive just decided to take up running, i thought there was a thread already going but searched and could not find what i was looking for.

Anyway, I know there are some runners on blonde so any advice for a complete beginner would be much appreciated.

I basically got some trainers Friday afternoon and went for my first run (for over 30 years) Saturday morning.

I am planning on trying to go for an early morning run every other day going forward.

I ran 2.5k on my first effort but was totally knackered, think i went to fast for a first attempt.

This morning my legs are very achy, so my questions are:

Should i run slower next time out?

Should i stick to running the same distance?

When should i add more distance?

Basically any advice for a novice starting out.

Think my goal is to be able to run 5k in a reasonable time.

Cheers

Can i please ask where most of you purchase your crack from?

Dapper Street Menswear
BiloxiDesire

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 01:59:48 PM »

Try the couch to 5k program, if you've not run in a long time it's a good way to build your fitness back up, think it recommends 3 runs a week, and if you find the first few weeks too easy you can skip to a little later in the program.

http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 02:04:44 PM »

What's your age, height and weight?  I would't be starting running roads tbh if you are reasonably overweight due to the joint damage it could cause. 
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 02:17:30 PM »

What's your age, height and weight?  I would't be starting running roads tbh if you are reasonably overweight due to the joint damage it could cause. 

46, 5ft10 and about 13.5 stone.

Will take a look at that couch to 5k link, cheers.

Dapper Street Menswear
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 02:19:38 PM »

Try the couch to 5k program, if you've not run in a long time it's a good way to build your fitness back up, think it recommends 3 runs a week, and if you find the first few weeks too easy you can skip to a little later in the program.

Actually, this looks what i am looking for.

I really only have a maximum of 30 minutes in the morning for this, so this looks perfect.

Thanks.

Dapper Street Menswear
Lonohray2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 06:06:22 PM »

I am these exact same stats but 26 and very unfit.

The only sport or training I've done in the last 6 years, apart from golf, is ~ 20 games of 5 a side - rarely playing more than 10 minutes a time.

I really struggle with what I'd describe as something like a cramp in my feet and my calves go rock solid, it isn't as painful as cramp but I can't physically run with it, is this just a build up of lactic acid? I feel like my lungs will take me further but my legs seize up.

I started running this week, 95% effort I ran 1,5km in 7 mins 30 according to strava on the flat and I didn't fully recover for 15 minutes after. The night after I ran 2.8km in 15 mins the same route on flat concrete and recovery time was down to 5 mins feeling fresh but still put in 90% effort.

Since then I tried running on a treadmill trying for a 30minute 5km but after 1.5km my calves and feet seized completely - this didn't happen when I ran on the flat although it was getting that way. I am going to run outside again tonight after a day off yesterday to see what happens.

tl:dr

Haven't exercised in a long time - after running for 10 mins or so my feet and calves seize up, why is this and how can I stop it?

Am I trying to do too much too quick or not adequately warming up/stretching or something else?
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 06:32:28 PM »

I think it possibly sounds like we have both tried to hard to early, the couch to 5k seems very easy in the early stages.

I think tomorrow i will just to run at a slower pace, same route and see how that goes.

Lonohray, let us know how you get on tonight.

Dapper Street Menswear
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 06:33:47 PM »

I am these exact same stats but 26 and very unfit.

The only sport or training I've done in the last 6 years, apart from golf, is ~ 20 games of 5 a side - rarely playing more than 10 minutes a time.

I really struggle with what I'd describe as something like a cramp in my feet and my calves go rock solid, it isn't as painful as cramp but I can't physically run with it, is this just a build up of lactic acid? I feel like my lungs will take me further but my legs seize up.

I started running this week, 95% effort I ran 1,5km in 7 mins 30 according to strava on the flat and I didn't fully recover for 15 minutes after. The night after I ran 2.8km in 15 mins the same route on flat concrete and recovery time was down to 5 mins feeling fresh but still put in 90% effort.

Since then I tried running on a treadmill trying for a 30minute 5km but after 1.5km my calves and feet seized completely - this didn't happen when I ran on the flat although it was getting that way. I am going to run outside again tonight after a day off yesterday to see what happens.

tl:dr

Haven't exercised in a long time - after running for 10 mins or so my feet and calves seize up, why is this and how can I stop it?

Am I trying to do too much too quick or not adequately warming up/stretching or something else?

I get that when I run (the calves and feet seizing up) but I just got used to and pushed through until it stops. My legs fucked after a bad break 15 years ago though.
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 06:35:58 PM »

Ive just decided to take up running, i thought there was a thread already going but searched and could not find what i was looking for.

Anyway, I know there are some runners on blonde so any advice for a complete beginner would be much appreciated.

I basically got some trainers Friday afternoon and went for my first run (for over 30 years) Saturday morning.

I am planning on trying to go for an early morning run every other day going forward.

I ran 2.5k on my first effort but was totally knackered, think i went to fast for a first attempt.

This morning my legs are very achy, so my questions are:

Should i run slower next time out?

Should i stick to running the same distance?

When should i add more distance?

Basically any advice for a novice starting out.

Think my goal is to be able to run 5k in a reasonable time.

Cheers

General advice when starting out is to run a lot slower, otherwise recovery gets fucked, as you experienced.
I tend to start with walking at a decent pace and add in a run/jog for a couple hundred yards at a time. Gets the miles and more importantly imo, time into your legs
HutchGF

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 07:14:36 PM »

I'm into week 5 of this program and its going well Smiley
Micko

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 09:24:29 PM »

Make sure you are well stretched and warmed up before each run, also stretch after your run too - it's boring but it will prevent injury.

Find your nearest parkrun and give them a go, great fun.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 09:14:31 AM »

There used to be some quite serious runners on here but they don't post regularly any more.

Kinboshi and Gatso were both in to 10k, half marathon and full marathon. Longy was very serious in to the shorter distances and I believe did the park run pretty much every week. I think you've missed out on their expertise unfortunately but the old threads are there somewhere if you can spend half an hour searching for them.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 09:19:08 AM »

I think it possibly sounds like we have both tried to hard to early, the couch to 5k seems very easy in the early stages.

I think tomorrow i will just to run at a slower pace, same route and see how that goes.

I don't think this is rare for any form of exercise. It looks easy so you think you can just crack on and get shit done but then it hurts like hell and you realise it's actually really hard to run even half a mile.

Patience is key with any form of change to your regular habits. Take it steady and in 6 months you'll be at 5k and watching that time reducing nicely. Rush in to it and you'll mess yourself up and quit because it hurts and you have to take several days off.

Good luck!!

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 11:22:22 AM »

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=39684.0

I'm shit at links but think this is the original running thread
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 08:21:43 PM »

I don't think this is rare for any form of exercise. It looks easy so you think you can just crack on and get shit done but then it hurts like hell and you realise it's actually really hard to run even half a mile.

Patience is key with any form of change to your regular habits. Take it steady and in 6 months you'll be at 5k and watching that time reducing nicely. Rush in to it and you'll mess yourself up and quit because it hurts and you have to take several days off.

Good luck!!

I ran the same route again this morning and tried to run at a slower more steady pace, it went well no aches and pains.

The ironic bit is I was quicker than the first run.

Feel fine tonight, so just going to keep on doing the same thing for a month then add a bit of extra distance a month at a time.

Cheers

Dapper Street Menswear
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: