blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:44:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Beginners Running - Advice Needed
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beginners Running - Advice Needed  (Read 48627 times)
Lonohray2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 06:15:26 PM »

4.5km in 27 minutes along a wet and muddy canal - so close! There were 5 or 6 foot bridges that had me walking over them on the way back and slowed me down as motivation was low  

Calves and feet were nearly to the point of no return and then the last 800m or so I had very strong pins and needles in my left foot - I've knackered the tendons/ligaments in the ankle 3 times and been on crutches before so I didn't want to risk rolling it trying to get the last 500m. - Have a weeks snowboarding first week of March and I don't want to cancel that!

Don't think I've ever ran 5k before so I'm happy with the quick improvement and think I will just try to get the time down for the 5k each run now rather than going further  thumbs up
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 06:20:03 PM by Lonohray2 » Logged
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 06:47:46 PM »

If 5k is your thing, go to your nearest parkrun on a Sat morning
Jamier-Host

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 01:07:42 AM »

Would agree with the Park Run suggestion. Added link in case people think this just means running aimlessly round your local playground Smiley

It's good to have a target so signing up for a local 10k race in the spring would be worth doing. Personally I find 5k on the short side as it feels like having gone to the bother of getting my kit on, getting outside, and showering after etc you want to be doing more than 25-30mins exercise. But obv needs to fit in with other commitments. e.g i'd never do a marathon as apart from general laziness i just wouldn't devote that much time to training. Sod 3hr+ practice runs!

I have also found i enjoy running to get somewhere more fulfilling/energising than just doing a loop. My parents live about a 15min drive from me which works out ~11k if i go cross country, so if we're visiting i try to run there while the missus drives the kids and then get a lift home later.

Side Project - making games for Amazon Alexa devices

pressthe8.com
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 09:33:17 AM »

I really struggle with what I'd describe as something like a cramp in my feet and my calves go rock solid, it isn't as painful as cramp but I can't physically run with it, is this just a build up of lactic acid? I feel like my lungs will take me further but my legs seize up.

That sounds similar to issues I had in my early twenties, which were diagnosed as compartment syndrome in both legs.  Both ultimately fixed with operations.

Basically, the membrane which surrounds the muscle tissues in your legs doesn't expand as the muscles grow within.  This constricts the blood supply to your feet which gives you the cramp-like sensations.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2017, 10:35:16 AM »

Been running every other day, this mornings run went pretty well and recovery is getting much better.

It's surprising how your body adjust pretty quickly to change.

No local park runs as I live in the sticks.

Can i please ask where most of you purchase your crack from?

Dapper Street Menswear
Steveswift

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2017, 08:00:34 PM »

I need to get my run on, so happy to post a bit. Always good to know that someone else having a go too, mutual support and the like. 

Did I miss it where are you based. I am in Kent and want to get back to park running asp

5.18 average pace seems solid enough, where do you want to get too?  I should be around that pace myself at the moment , if not yet then in a week or so.

Enjoy your runs

Steve
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2017, 04:49:12 PM »

I need to get my run on, so happy to post a bit. Always good to know that someone else having a go too, mutual support and the like. 

Did I miss it where are you based. I am in Kent and want to get back to park running asp

5.18 average pace seems solid enough, where do you want to get too?  I should be around that pace myself at the moment , if not yet then in a week or so.

Enjoy your runs

Steve
Hi Steve,
I'm in the Cotswolds, its hilly around here so no flat runs for me.

Slower pace today but just over 4k and i had to walk a small section of a hill. Will run the same route/distance now for a week or so and then try 5k.

Hopefully in that time I can get my pace & stamina up a bit.

My goal was to be able to run 5k, as I run early in the morning before work 30 minutes is basically the max time I can afford to be out.

Dapper Street Menswear
Steveswift

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2017, 12:53:43 PM »

Hi mate,

5k is my limit so the park run is perfect. It means that I can train under distance 2\3\4k distances with perhaps 5 x 1k or 8/10 500m sessions every now and again.  I have knee issues and have found that if I am sensible I can still get my buzz on without overly straining the knees.

I have trained mon, tues and wed this week and will attempt thu and fri as well  just as a bit of punishment and wake up call to the body for what is about to come. I have a lovely well practiced 2 k lap that I work on and have a good database of  timings and the like. I will post my splints at the end of the week if you are interested.

Think I will do a month or so of these 2k runs and then double up with a view to a park run in what will be about the 2 month point.  Hate doing them when I can't compete ( against myself of course).

Enjoy your runs, literally " slowly slowly catchy monkey".

Regards

Steve
Steve Swift

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2017, 11:21:06 AM »

Some one say running? Ok I will chime in even if not wanted Smiley 

Advice?  Well my two pennies worth is:

1. Look up and enjoy the view.
2. Aim for a consistent pace, after which you can work hard/recover on various parts of the run, uphill coming get ready accordingly.
3. Set small achievable targets.
4. Invest in good running shoes.
5. Set a routine and work dam hard to stick to it, for me home from work, straight upstairs running gear on and out the door.
6. For me only probably, monitor times, I  normally hit this part of my run at X, I am up/down and adjust accordingly. Unfortunately it tends to make every run a race for me, unless I have set out to have an easy run ect.

That will do for now, only my opinion of course so feel free to totally ignore Smiley

As mentioned I will post my times for this weeks run, see if they are of interest to you.

1k      2k           finish time               remarks

Mon             5.36    5.52           11.54                   v windy
Tue              5.01    5.26           11.00                   windy
Wed             5.05    4.56           10.28                   Shocked at 2k time
Thu              4.51    5.01           10.24                   calm
Fri                5.0      5.02           10.39                   Think app may have thrown a tiny wobbler on 2nd k, but can't be too far out.

I have not ran for a while and have certainly not ran 5 days in a row for a long time, although I am well aware the distance is short but I am working hard and I feel it today and need some recovery time.  I am going on a run with my daughter tomorrow so likely to be 5k or so but will be a leisurely pace.

Next week I will cut down to 3/4 runs and work on speed getting my k time to be consistently in the 4's.  I will probably do this for the while month and then increase the distance with a view to doing a 5k park run at about the end of Apr and would aim to be sub 25minutes. 

Enjoy your runs mate.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 11:36:21 AM by Steve Swift » Logged
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2017, 05:52:46 PM »

Those times look pretty good to me.

I am still running every other day and average around 3k.

Im running different routes most days at the moment and not to worried about times hopefully that will improve as time goes on.

Like you im just looking to run 5ks and stick to that, maybe a couple of months away realistically.

Will keep updating.

Dapper Street Menswear
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2017, 10:35:33 PM »

Bit late to the party but yeah I went from doing no exercise about 3 years ago to now running regularly. The couch to 5k program is excellent and is great way of easing yourself into it, instead of pushing too fast too soon and injuring yourself or demotivating yourself as it is too hard.

Pity you are not near a parkrun as they are brilliant events and a very non judgemental environment for getting out and exercising.
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2017, 11:08:12 PM »

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=67472.msg2179698

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
HutchGF

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2017, 03:30:47 PM »

So this morning was the culmination of my C25K program and I (just about) managed to complete the Lytham Hall Parkrun in 36 minutes.

Was a great atmosphere and everyone was very supportive. We took 35ish students down from the school I work at and they were welcomed with open arms.

Would highly recommend anyone giving a Parkrun a go.
HutchGF

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2017, 10:51:43 PM »

5k in the bag and Park-runs going to be a regular for me.

Next stop.......... 10k 'fun-run' although those two words do not belong in the same sentence as far as I'm concerned.
Steve Swift

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2017, 07:38:03 AM »

Congrats, working towards competing a parkrun in about 6 weeks time. Slowly slowly catchy monkey.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: