blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:59:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Beginners Running - Advice Needed
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beginners Running - Advice Needed  (Read 48585 times)
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2017, 08:31:25 AM »

5k in the bag and Park-runs going to be a regular for me.

Next stop.......... 10k 'fun-run' although those two words do not belong in the same sentence as far as I'm concerned.

Good work, I am running 3k to 4k every other day since I started this thread, unfortunately I developed an ankle injury yesterday so may have to miss a day or two.

I was planning on running 5k this weekend but due to the ankle issue that might still be a week or two away now.

Good luck!

Can i please ask where most of you purchase your crack from?

Dapper Street Menswear
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2017, 02:24:37 PM »

Next stop.......... 10k 'fun-run' although those two words do not belong in the same sentence as far as I'm concerned.

Good work, I am running 3k to 4k every other day since I started this thread, unfortunately I developed an ankle injury yesterday so may have to miss a day or two.

I was planning on running 5k this weekend but due to the ankle issue that might still be a week or two away now.

Good luck!

Maybe o some cycling/exercise bike to keep up the cardio without affecting the ankle
Lonohray2

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2017, 03:53:50 PM »

Good luck!

Maybe o some cycling/exercise bike to keep up the cardio without affecting the ankle

Or even swimming, could try the two arm one leg breast stroke.

Good work Hutch with the Park Run, I do want to run some, school friends go most weeks and are running regularly but I just can't do Saturday mornings which is a shame. I checked the website and it looks like they will be getting 600+ at Milton Keynes now the weathers getting better. Great events, have people running in the 15s all the way up to 50. There's a record of PBs on there and each week shows publically who had a PB and rewards for running 10 25 50 etc

Lonohray2

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2017, 04:30:43 PM »

Have been enjoying each run more and more, I've only been on 10 since starting 6 weeks ago, in between surviving a week snowboarding.

The cramping in feet and calves has gone from running although it was extreme whilst snowboarding I was stuck 3000m up needing 30 minutes rest to even get my feet in the bindings, one morning I did two runs and had to take the day off. - Thanks Sheriff I did have a look at compartment syndrome, and was convinced I had the lesser of the two but I do think it's just doing too much too quick, fingers crossed it stays away from now on.

Strava numbers

Run 1
1.5km flat - 7.47 - Gasping for air for 10 minutes after

Run 2
2.8km flat - 15.43 - Improvement but still a good 5 minutes to catch my breath

Run 3
4.5km flat but ~8 canal bridges - 27.00 - Legs started to go and strong pins and needles at the end but recovery time down again

Run 4
5.1km flat (12m high to low) 29.05 - Two laps of reservoir, hard work windy but recovery down to 2 mins. Tried very hard and very pleased to break 30mins

Run 5
1.8km flat - 9.56 - Jog along the canal with the dog, day after run 4

Run 6
5.1km flat (canal) - 28.00

18 day break including snowboarding

Run 7
10km mostly flat - 1.03.57 - Went off quick intending to do 3/4km at a quick pace but got some motivation and kept on plodding, pleased to do this, recovery quick

Run 8
1km flat - 5.22 - BIG mistake, took the dog out 20 mins after the 10k high on motivation, tried to run a 4min 1k and seized my legs completely

Run 9
5km (lots of up and down) - 27.29 - Went off at 26min pace with a friend (too quick) but 4th km was 6.13 instead of the 5.10s, 60m steep hill coming out of reservoir nearly finished me off

Run 10
5km Milton Keynes Park Run route - 26.11 - Again friend paced two of us for 26minutes but nothing left to kick on the final 1km, didn't know my time whilst running (would have found those 12 seconds!) - Recovery no more than a minute

Making progress on each run is a really good feeling and now I'm looking forward to the next one

In the mean time I've been eating healthy, minimal carbs and 1500-1800 calories daily (more like 4000 the week away) and lost just over a stone in the 5/6 weeks, down to 12stone. Beer belly refusing to shift but I can see why these horses run faster carrying a stone less.

Run 10 was two days ago, round of golf yesterday was going to try 25 minute pace for MK run again tonight but would most likely be futile. Going to try for 10k in an hour instead with friend of similar ability and see how that goes.
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2017, 04:52:58 PM »

Try and force yourself to do negative splits i.e. you run slower at the start and faster at the end, will save a bit to give you a strong finish.
Steve Swift

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2017, 09:10:00 PM »

Love it, it's kind of a drug at some point. Enjoy mate.
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2017, 10:07:01 PM »

Great work Lonohray, that is really impressive. Keep us updated.

Think I might give swimming a go on my off days; mind you i am not sure I could even make a length.

Dapper Street Menswear
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2017, 05:07:45 PM »

Back running this week after an ankle injury, keeping distance lower but will up that next week.

Pace has increased nicely though over the last couple of weeks.

Dapper Street Menswear
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2017, 07:44:28 AM »

This week is going well, ankle seems to have sorted itself out although I am now running with my ankles strapped to give some extra support.

Still running every other day at the moment and starting to actually feel a little bit fitter.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 07:46:16 AM by Tractor » Logged

Dapper Street Menswear
justgamer
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2017, 11:23:01 AM »

useful information, I am also looking forward to start this weekend.
shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2017, 12:23:57 PM »

After completing the 2nd run of week 8 of couch to 5 k my  right leg was quite sore/ stiff. For anyone not familiar with the couch to 5 k, week 8 is 5 minute warm up walk, 28 minute running followed by a minute walk cool down.

That night my reg right leg  was still a bit painful around about the shin/ knee area. It was a bit sore going up / down stairs, walking was slightly uncomfortable but not to the extent of being in agony or anything. This was on Tuesday, on Wednesday everything seemed to be ok.

I went out on Friday to try to complete the third run of week eight, after one minute of running my read leg was painful and sore, I had to stop and just walked, and it was fine walking.

I went out this morning and it seemed to be fine then after a bout ten minutes the same thing happened again. What's the best thing to do, like just wait a week before trying aga , what could be causing it? Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 12:25:59 PM by shipitgood » Logged
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2017, 01:00:55 PM »

Cheers to those who have recommended the couch to 5k. I've just completed week 5. The 20 minute run whilst not sounding much was quite a bit of a jump from previous weeks!

shipitgood: I assume you've got proper shoes? If so best thing to do might be to give it a week then try again? If still no good then Doctor maybe?

Blue text
Lonohray2

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2017, 01:28:34 PM »

I get all sorts of twinges, my right knee has a sort of pain but goes away after 1km but the worst one is my right hip towards the backside, a few times I've had it where I end up limping all day the day after and into the second day. I stretch before and after so I'm not sure what it is. - It feels like it would be brought on if I was to run in a very tight clockwise circle, maybe I have one leg shorter than the other  Grin

On all the training programmes I've seen there's lots of rest/cross train days - perhaps try cycling or swimming or doing something else on some of the days if the pain is still there, or just miss a few days but still stretch morning and night?

I did start a 24minute 5k programme for 4 weeks but only made it to day 10 - did some 400m x 10, 800m x 4, 1km x 3 and then 30 mins easies. It feels good to do them in the target times but I just want to run the distance for PBs each run lol

Since the last post I had a 2 week break in the middle but still found time for 14 runs. Ran either 5/10k the below times.

31st March = Milton Keynes Park Run 25.23
9th April = Second 10k, hilly and windy 58.34
29th April = 5k 24.53
4th May = Third 10k 53.07
6th May = 5k 23.45

Happy with the progression and still eating like a rabbit so going to continue this until 1st June before Vegas, try and lose another 10lbs and get a 23minute 5k and a 50 minute 10k. Just need to find a suitable hill or try some of this fartlek training rather than just running the same distance/route

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln1SmiXCfHg

Here's some inspiration, the speed these guys run is insane. I look at strava to see who has run the same routes as myself and compare times - some of them are running 10/20ks with average pace faster than I can sprint 100 meters its incredible.
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2017, 01:52:38 PM »

Regarding the pains in legs / shins etc. I got those when i was just doing to much, i took a few days out and then all was fine.

I get pretty bad pains every time I run now, normally my calves get pretty tight and painful and I have an ongoing ankle issue but it is bearable and seems to recover ok.

Just ran my first 6k this morning and basically felt the same as running a 5k which is my standard run at the moment, kept the same pass as 5k too; which I am happy with.

On my off days I have now joined the gym so doing bike, cross training and have tried a bit of swimming but i am basically rubbish at it and the ball ache of the changing etc just  puts me off.

Was 14 stone when i started this and weighed in yesterday just a fraction over 13 stone, so going well.

This weeks runs:

« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 01:55:49 PM by Tractor » Logged

Dapper Street Menswear
Steve Swift

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2017, 09:47:30 PM »

Good job guys looks like Blondes are getting it done.

I have been doing a bit for the last month and start week 2 of a 13 weeks programme to get me to a 23.45 5k.

I have a 12 min time trial tomorrow where I have to run as far as i can in 12 mins after which the programme will be changed accordingly.  My PB stands a 2.52k and think I might be close to that but we will see tomorrow.

Keep up the good work.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: