blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:11:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Beginners Running - Advice Needed
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beginners Running - Advice Needed  (Read 48596 times)
Steve Swift

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2017, 07:05:42 PM »

Dam, phone did on warm down and did not record info save that I ran for 22mins (   5 mins warm up, 12 mins, 5 warm down) and lost 47 cals ffs. No real biggie has had a marker on the road for my pb but was about 20 m short. Went off to fast I think. Still close enough to show that I am on track.
Lonohray2

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2017, 11:04:17 PM »

Nothing more frustrating when the phone dies mid run especially during the first runs, I was massively tilted each time it happened to me as I was on for PBs each time and each run feels so much more significant at the beginning Sad

I, somewhat stupidly, attempted a half marathon today on my own after Saturdays 5k PB . The plan was to just get round and hope to get close to 2 hours, would have been delighted with that seeing as I've only ran beyond 5km on the three 10ks so far and was a complete couch potato until recently.

16km of the 21km was completed in just over 1 hour 30mins. - Unfortunately I'd ran 11km away from my house so it was a long walk back in the dark with the sweat starting to freeze all over haha, I gave in and got an Uber the last few 

Really struggled to go off at a slow pace which I always do even though I consciously tried to, the first 1km was 5.10 when the 2 hour pace is 5.41. The next 7 were between 5.30 and 5.45 (good) but the following 8 were 5.48-6.08 when I finally had to stop.

If the finish was 1km away it wouldn't have been a problem but there was no chance I was making 21km without walking or close to 2 hours so I stopped it there, still happy with the result.

A few 15km runs and 3000 calories filled with carbs rather than the 1200 I had yesterday and I think the 2 hours is obtainable.

So much respect for anyone who completes any of these 10k/half/marathon distances it really is hard work
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2017, 07:33:04 AM »

Blimey, fair play for having a go at it in the first place, 16k is still impressive.

I am probably the opposite lol, up to 6.2k at the moment and will probably try for 7k at the weekend.

Out of interest, how old are you (Lonohray)?

It is quite addictive, my initial goal was to be able to run 5k now for some reason I want to get to 10k, I wonder if I will have the urge to ever try and go past 10k..

Steve, i have had the phone issue a couple of times and it really does ruin the run.

Out of interest, I use mapmyrun, what are you guys using? Any pros / cons? Anyone use a fitbit type device?

Keep it up guys.

Can i please ask where most of you purchase your crack from?

Dapper Street Menswear
Steve Swift

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2017, 12:23:03 PM »

Hi, I use Endomondo which I started to use when I got my last phone. Wasn't an iphone so the standard  apps weren't available to me. I have 3 years of data on there now so loath to change.  Yes I can track how little I have ran over that period.

Big leap from 5k to a few 10k's to a 21k but I guess you know that now Smiley. This running lark is addictive.
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2017, 12:46:11 PM »

Still at it..
Another good week, managed 6k, 6k, 7k, & a 5k this morning.

The 5k this morning ended up at a PB of 24:29 @ an average pace of 4:51, my first 5k on the 16th April took 28:59 with av/pace of 5.25 so a good improvement.

Have been to the gym every other day in between running and doing 30-40minutes on the cross trainer, think that must be helping as the 5k this morning seemed quite easy.

Dapper Street Menswear
Steve Swift

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2017, 02:11:26 PM »

Keep up the good work, sub 5 min km is starting to get a jaunty👍 I have been putting the odd 8 km and the extra distance does take its toll. Still all good stamina deposited into the bank.
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2017, 06:25:53 PM »

Up to week 7 of couch to 5k. Getting hard work now. No more recovery breaks!

Blue text
Steve Swift

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2017, 06:25:40 AM »

Up to week 7 of couch to 5k. Getting hard work now. No more recovery breaks!

Go keep going will be worth it the end.

For my own part still training hard, well as hard as I can at the moment. Constantly tired so I sign that I am working.
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2017, 07:05:28 AM »

Good work CF, not far to go now and you have overcome the hardest part already.

The niggling ankle injury is back at the moment so sticking to 5ks this week, gutted as i thought i would get an 8k in this week but there is no rush.

Another problem, sore nipples! This is now starting to hurt on the longer runs, any seasons runners got a cure?

Dapper Street Menswear
Ledders

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2017, 11:10:09 AM »

it's friction between your clothing and nipples. If you're wearing an ordinary tshirt then maybe get a "proper" sports one or you can rub some vaseline on before you set off to stop the chaffing
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2017, 03:22:49 PM »

Made it to week 3 of the couch to 5k and my sister in law is visiting and wanted to do the park run.  Thought I'd give it a go.   I managed 41 minutes and beat 10 people.  I probably ran about two thirds of the distance. 

Thought it would be good to put up a bad time to give the other fat old farts hope.

Will probably give it 3 weeks before giving it another go.  I am up to 5 minutes without stopping to walk, which sounds rubbish, but 1 minute was an issue not long ago.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2017, 04:32:34 PM »

Made it to week 3 of the couch to 5k and my sister in law is visiting and wanted to do the park run.  Thought I'd give it a go.   I managed 41 minutes and beat 10 people.  I probably ran about two thirds of the distance. 

Thought it would be good to put up a bad time to give the other fat old farts hope.

Will probably give it 3 weeks before giving it another go.  I am up to 5 minutes without stopping to walk, which sounds rubbish, but 1 minute was an issue not long ago.

This is great, well done. I love everything about the Park Run.
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2017, 05:05:47 PM »

Keep at it Doobs, it does get easier!

Look forward to your next Park Run update.

Dapper Street Menswear
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2017, 08:53:48 PM »

Ooh! I forgot this thread.

I finished C25K about a week ago. I'm hoping to try a park run.

I can manage to jog the whole 5k but I'm pretty slow. 40:37.

The older I get, the better I was.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2017, 12:38:27 AM »

I wouldn't recommend doing what I did and doing park run after week 3.  The opportunity to go down with others beckoned.  When I got there I did see a handful of friendly faces I knew.

Don't hesitate Red.  The marshalls clap you round and so many randoms cheer you home even when you finish with the grandmas.  Going to leave it another 3 weeks now.

Finished the day at the London Stadium for the World Champs.  Think it might have been better than the olympics just from the sheer joy of the two relay squads at the end.  Not sure my five you old quite got it.  She asked if we had made the final after the mens 4x100.  No we won the bloody gold.  Unbelievable.

FWIW my 6 year old nephew did seconds over 30 minutes in the parkrun.  Kids going to go far.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: