blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:47:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Beginners Running - Advice Needed
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beginners Running - Advice Needed  (Read 48609 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 03, 2019, 10:23:51 AM »

Morning.

I have nearly done the couch to 5k again (am on week 9), but I hit a barrier with the weather on Friday.

I think it was just above freezing and I was having more trouble breathing than normal.   Earlier in the week I'd run in the 3.5 to 4k region twice without much of a struggle.  On Friday I was feeling bad before I had gone 1k and jacked it in before 2k.   It wasn't that I was cold (I had layers on), it just felt that the air was too cold, if that makes sense.  When I checked the times, I had noticeably slowed in the second kilometre too (from 7'45" a kilometre to nearly 9'00" a kilometre, which is the speed I was going just after restarting).  8 minutes a kilometre was normal pace earlier in the week.

Is this standard in cold weather, or was it likely I was just suffering with a bug or something.  If the former, do other people just run slower, or shorter distances, when it is really cold?   I read that you can put a scarf or something over your mouth to keep your breath warm, but can't see that making it easier to breathe.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: December 03, 2019, 10:54:33 AM »

Hi Doobs.

I've had to stop running because I have plantar fasciitis so now I cycle instead.

I do a fixed distance and I keep a close eye on my times, I always try to put in my best performance.

If I discount the effect of very wet or windy days, I'm still slower when it's cold. (It can be as much as 90 seconds over a 30 minute course)

If I feel a bit rough, I still go but that too affects my times. If I feel really poorly I just stay home and mollycoddle myself.

The older I get, the better I was.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 03, 2019, 01:36:26 PM »

Hi Doobs.

I've had to stop running because I have plantar fasciitis so now I cycle instead.

I do a fixed distance and I keep a close eye on my times, I always try to put in my best performance.

If I discount the effect of very wet or windy days, I'm still slower when it's cold. (It can be as much as 90 seconds over a 30 minute course)

If I feel a bit rough, I still go but that too affects my times. If I feel really poorly I just stay home and mollycoddle myself.

So you can still cycle with plantar fascitis?  I guess that is because you aren't landing on your foot so much; I have a bad knee whcih makes cycling easier than running.  It doesn't seem to be giving me so much gyp this time round with the couch to 5k.

I think it isn't so much to do with the cold now. I just waited until around lunch, and was pretty much finished after 1k again.  I think I am definitely in a bit rough territory, rather than really poorly.  Still I guess 1k running and 2k walking is still better than zero kms sitting on my butt.  I might just delay week 9 until next week now, that way I can take the pressure off.  I am going to try and get a parkrun in the weekend after this one; but would like to hit 4k at aorund 8 minutes a kilometre first.  I can see the possibility of getting down to a kilometre in 7 minutes in a month or two, but I'm never getting to Tractor's times.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: December 03, 2019, 03:14:18 PM »

Hi Doobs.

So you can still cycle with plantar fascitis?  I guess that is because you aren't landing on your foot so much; I have a bad knee whcih makes cycling easier than running.  It doesn't seem to be giving me so much gyp this time round with the couch to 5k.

I think it isn't so much to do with the cold now. I just waited until around lunch, and was pretty much finished after 1k again.  I think I am definitely in a bit rough territory, rather than really poorly. Still I guess 1k running and 2k walking is still better than zero kms sitting on my butt.  I might just delay week 9 until next week now, that way I can take the pressure off.  I am going to try and get a parkrun in the weekend after this one; but would like to hit 4k at aorund 8 minutes a kilometre first.  I can see the possibility of getting down to a kilometre in 7 minutes in a month or two, but I'm never getting to Tractor's times.

It's all good Dooby.

Mrs Red has a philosophy that if you make a task too onerous you are doomed to eventually fail or give in.

Even very small amounts of exercise can bring huge benefits. (On average, people who live in the first floor live longer than anyone else in the building, because they use the stairs most often)

The older I get, the better I was.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 03, 2019, 08:24:41 PM »

Hi Doobs.

So you can still cycle with plantar fascitis?  I guess that is because you aren't landing on your foot so much; I have a bad knee whcih makes cycling easier than running.  It doesn't seem to be giving me so much gyp this time round with the couch to 5k.

I think it isn't so much to do with the cold now. I just waited until around lunch, and was pretty much finished after 1k again.  I think I am definitely in a bit rough territory, rather than really poorly. Still I guess 1k running and 2k walking is still better than zero kms sitting on my butt.  I might just delay week 9 until next week now, that way I can take the pressure off.  I am going to try and get a parkrun in the weekend after this one; but would like to hit 4k at aorund 8 minutes a kilometre first.  I can see the possibility of getting down to a kilometre in 7 minutes in a month or two, but I'm never getting to Tractor's times.

It's all good Dooby.

Mrs Red has a philosophy that if you make a task too onerous you are doomed to eventually fail or give in.

Even very small amounts of exercise can bring huge benefits. (On average, people who live in the first floor live longer than anyone else in the building, because they use the stairs most often)

Agree on the last bit, I think it is pretty good for your mental health too. 

Last time my only aim was to run 5k once.   Guess it is no surprise I stopped as soon as I got there; though don't think the cold and a dodgy knee helped.

Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: December 04, 2019, 08:10:13 PM »

Morning.

I have nearly done the couch to 5k again (am on week 9), but I hit a barrier with the weather on Friday.

I think it was just above freezing and I was having more trouble breathing than normal.   Earlier in the week I'd run in the 3.5 to 4k region twice without much of a struggle.  On Friday I was feeling bad before I had gone 1k and jacked it in before 2k.   It wasn't that I was cold (I had layers on), it just felt that the air was too cold, if that makes sense.  When I checked the times, I had noticeably slowed in the second kilometre too (from 7'45" a kilometre to nearly 9'00" a kilometre, which is the speed I was going just after restarting).  8 minutes a kilometre was normal pace earlier in the week.

Is this standard in cold weather, or was it likely I was just suffering with a bug or something.  If the former, do other people just run slower, or shorter distances, when it is really cold?   I read that you can put a scarf or something over your mouth to keep your breath warm, but can't see that making it easier to breathe.

Hi Doobs,
I am still running quite a bit after a long break with injuries.

Regarding running in the cold I have noticed what you are saying as I used t suffer with Asthma. You can get a neck gaiter to cover your mouth a few people at the running club wear them.

I just basically warm up for a longer time and at a slower pace, once i get going all is good.

I am currently running about 3 times a week and doing around 40km a week which I am happy with.

I have a 10k race booked in for Feb and hopefully I will do a half & full marathon next year if i stay injury free.

My stats so far:

1k  - 3:37
1 mile  - 6:07
5k - 19:48
10k - 42:32
Half-Marathon - 1:41:29

Cheers and happy running for 2020!

Can i please ask where most of you purchase your crack from?

Dapper Street Menswear
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 04, 2019, 11:50:48 PM »

Morning.

Hi Doobs,

Regarding running in the cold I have noticed what you are saying as I used t suffer with Asthma. You can get a neck gaiter to cover your mouth a few people at the running club wear them.

I just basically warm up for a longer time and at a slower pace, once i get going all is good.

I am currently running about 3 times a week and doing around 40km a week which I am happy with.

I have a 10k race booked in for Feb and hopefully I will do a half & full marathon next year if i stay injury free.

My stats so far:

They are cracking times.  Anything below 20 for a parkrun is pretty smart; you must be knocking on 80% on the age adjusted performance?  Maybe if I get to 40% I'll have made it.

Funny you should mention you had asthma, I used to have it as a child, but haven't really suffered since leaving school.  I played football fairly regularly until my early 30s, but when I was struggling I'd just take a breather.  Whilst sauntering round having a bit of a breather, you are still playing football, but stopping to walk is less easy to justify as "running".  I did worry a bit that it might be asthma returning, but I certainly don't suffer like my wife does when she has shortness of breath (she definitely has asthma).  Do you carry an inhaler just in case or just assume you can stop and it will go away?

I was feeling a bit less under the weather today, so will probably have a go again tomorrow.   

Good luck with your marathon, I can't see me ever getting there, but guess you can never say never.  I did think there was a good chance that I'd nver get to 5k when I first tried. 

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 05, 2019, 12:59:50 PM »

Normal service was resumed.  I wore something like this earlier:

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/ski/ski-accessories/neck-warmers-snoods/superstretch-fleece-neck-gaiter-p12569.aspx/black/

I did try putting it over my mouth, but couldn't do that for more than a few seconds.  Whether it was physical or pscyhological it made me happier running this morning.  I suspect I have cleared whatever bug I had too.

Anyway I did nearly 29 minutes at 7'51" pre kilometre, which is around where I was hoping to be at the end of this week.  I should be going for 30 minutes on the couch to 5k schedule, but that was at the bottom of a steep slope, so I thought calling it a day was a good option there.  I was only planning on going 20 minutes when I set off just to see how I felt, so I am very pleased with that. 

Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 05, 2019, 01:35:40 PM »

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/ski/ski-accessories/neck-warmers-snoods/superstretch-fleece-neck-gaiter-p12569.aspx/black/

I did try putting it over my mouth, but couldn't do that for more than a few seconds.  Whether it was physical or pscyhological it made me happier running this morning.  I suspect I have cleared whatever bug I had too.

Anyway I did nearly 29 minutes at 7'51" pre kilometre, which is around where I was hoping to be at the end of this week.  I should be going for 30 minutes on the couch to 5k schedule, but that was at the bottom of a steep slope, so I thought calling it a day was a good option there.  I was only planning on going 20 minutes when I set off just to see how I felt, so I am very pleased with that. 

This is great progress, but don't get too obsessed with what the C25k expects of you, as it isn't for everyone within the 9 week timescale it advises.  I've now got 43 parkruns and 2 x 10k finishes to my name, but still wouldn't be able to do the C25k plan in that timescale, as it relies on people achieving a certain pace with their running.

If you struggle, stay focused on running for an increasing period of time, irrespective of pace or distance achieved.  The ability to run continuously is the important goal to doing a 5k, not the pace at which you do it.  You can work on pace once running the 5k becomes second nature to you.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 05, 2019, 01:38:49 PM »

My stats so far:

1k  - 3:37
1 mile  - 6:07

This is serious running, by any standards.  Sub-20 5k is no mean achievement.

By my standard, your 10k time is faster than my 5k PB.  I'm surrounded by people at parkrun who are similarly nippy.  The great thing for me is that I get nothing but support and encouragement from them, regardless.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 05, 2019, 06:17:23 PM »

This is great progress, but don't get too obsessed with what the C25k expects of you, as it isn't for everyone within the 9 week timescale it advises.  I've now got 43 parkruns and 2 x 10k finishes to my name, but still wouldn't be able to do the C25k plan in that timescale, as it relies on people achieving a certain pace with their running.

If you struggle, stay focused on running for an increasing period of time, irrespective of pace or distance achieved.  The ability to run continuously is the important goal to doing a 5k, not the pace at which you do it.  You can work on pace once running the 5k becomes second nature to you.

Hi Sheriff.   If it wasn't clear, I did the couch to 5k two years ago and my goal then was just to run the 5k.  This time I want to see if I can do it in less than 40 minutes.  I am not sure if I can, but am planning two runs before a parkrun a week on Saturday.   If I can get to 4k in under 32 minutes, I'll try for the 40 minutes.  If I can't, then I might try and just finish it again.

Last time I did it, I discovered that my phone was making optimistic distancd readings, so 6.5k on my phone was only 5k in parkrun terms.   So I ended up going further and at a much slower pace than I expected.   This time I am a bit more confident that my (new) phone is reading the distances better, so hopefully I am on track.   I won't be too surprised if I end up doing 42 minutes again because of poor watch readings or just because the extra 1.5k is going to be a crawl.  I don't know what I am going to do if the temperature is around freezing point at 9am a week on Saturday.

Jamier-Host

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: December 05, 2019, 08:16:53 PM »

Agree on not stressing about the times. Especially when it will be the first "race" you have done in a while.

The great thing about Park Run is the massive variety both in ability and general level of competitiveness. While it's fun trying for a PB occasionally, I also really enjoy cruising round with my son at a more comfy pace.

Side Project - making games for Amazon Alexa devices

pressthe8.com
Jamier-Host

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: December 05, 2019, 08:19:01 PM »

My stats so far:

I recently read the Ronnie O'Sullivan book called "Running". His best 10k time was down in the low 30's and he's won a few open races around Essex area in the past. There was a fascinating section where he talked about picking and choosing which snooker tournaments to play based on whether they clashed with a running race he wanted to enter!

Side Project - making games for Amazon Alexa devices

pressthe8.com
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: December 05, 2019, 09:49:47 PM »

Morning.

Hi Doobs,

My stats so far:

They are cracking times.  Anything below 20 for a parkrun is pretty smart; you must be knocking on 80% on the age adjusted performance?  Maybe if I get to 40% I'll have made it.

Funny you should mention you had asthma, I used to have it as a child, but haven't really suffered since leaving school.  I played football fairly regularly until my early 30s, but when I was struggling I'd just take a breather.  Whilst sauntering round having a bit of a breather, you are still playing football, but stopping to walk is less easy to justify as "running".  I did worry a bit that it might be asthma returning, but I certainly don't suffer like my wife does when she has shortness of breath (she definitely has asthma).  Do you carry an inhaler just in case or just assume you can stop and it will go away?

I was feeling a bit less under the weather today, so will probably have a go again tomorrow.   

Good luck with your marathon, I can't see me ever getting there, but guess you can never say never.  I did think there was a good chance that I'd nver get to 5k when I first tried. 

Hi Doobs,
I did not explain too well, i had asthma as a child and have not had it for years but i do find when running  in cold i get a similar feeling to that of asthma but it goes away after a while.

As others have said dont worry about times etc. At least you are out there running and thats the main thing and it is amazing how you will improve just by getting out there and running.

Dapper Street Menswear
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: December 05, 2019, 09:52:54 PM »

2017 when i started this thread and I would never thought I would ever be able to run more than 5k..

Dapper Street Menswear
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: