blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:44:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Beginners Running - Advice Needed
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beginners Running - Advice Needed  (Read 48583 times)
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 12, 2020, 02:29:56 PM »

This reminded me I saw the people behind the Great North Run have developed this challenge

https://www.greatrun.org/virtual-running

Basically a donation to charity and you get a medal from them after logging a screenshot of your times.

7k or 7 miles in a week and a range of options from 50k to 280k in a month are the distances available.

It's not much but I get a lot of motivation from being promised that I'll get a shiny medal at the end of it so maybe other people would appreciate that as well Cheesy

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 12, 2020, 04:52:00 PM »

Quick Update
The Ultra i was planning on running in June was cancelled, no surprises there and just when I thought I had got away with it they converted it to a virtual 100km.

The challenge was to run 100km in the week, this started on Monday 6th July.

Anyway, i thought i would give it a go, the most I have managed in a week was about 40 miles (65km) so the plan was on the Monday to attempt 50km straight through as this is an Ultra distance and then split up the other 50km over the rest of the week.

The good news is I completed this yesterday all 100km. and I also managed the 50km straight through on Monday! (i honestly never thought any of this was possible).

So this week i have managed.

My first marathon distance run, first 50km ultra run and my first 100km weekly mileage..

The 53miler double marathon has been differed until June 2021 so I have still got that challenge to go at.

Other news, still missing the park runs and hope they can get going soon.

Hope everyone else is still managing a few miles, Cheers!

That is great running Tractor.   I am still running and cycling.  I have don2 20k on a bike and 9k running this week which I am quite pleased with.   My eldest wants to do a circuit of Rutland water on a bike, so I might get up to 50k bike/running combined next week.   

I can't imagine doing 100k running in a week though 5k is getting easier for me; there is a non park run park run now where you can submit times.  I am sure I'd be a bit quicker if running with others.  I might try pushing it one day up to 7k or so in one go.  I am pleased to be back at 5k right now, as I went over on my ankle a month or so ago, so couldn't run for 10 days, and have mostly been at 2k bursts since then.

Good work fella.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Jamier-Host

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: July 16, 2020, 08:27:33 PM »

Very impressive, 50km in one go is brutal!

Always in awe of the ultra runners.

Side Project - making games for Amazon Alexa devices

pressthe8.com
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 14, 2021, 10:10:16 PM »

The Parkrun restart has been postponed for another month.

I was targetting getting up to 5k again by the time of the restart, but I was struggling to be fair. 

I'd probably have to walk for a bit if I did a 5k tomorrow, as I am struggling to last over 2.5k right now.  I think that is at least partially due to the hot weather; 10C I am fine, over 20C not so much.  Glad the hot weather is ending over the next couple of days, and my garden definitely needs some rain.

Was anyone else targetting Parkrun in 2 weeks?

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 09, 2021, 04:57:50 PM »

I was targetting getting up to 5k again by the time of the restart, but I was struggling to be fair. 

I'd probably have to walk for a bit if I did a 5k tomorrow, as I am struggling to last over 2.5k right now.  I think that is at least partially due to the hot weather; 10C I am fine, over 20C not so much.  Glad the hot weather is ending over the next couple of days, and my garden definitely needs some rain.

I completed Couch To 5k for the 2nd time a few weeks ago, timed perfectly for the original restart.  I ran the new course at my home parkrun (now a more socially-distance friendly route, going in the opposite direction) as the graduation run, resulting in one of my slowest ever times, and certainly the slowest time where I've ran a full 5k without any walk intervals.  I know from previous experience that run/walk will result in faster times, so I'm aiming for 3min/1min run/walk splits when it returns.

Ultimately, parkrun can be done any way you choose, so don't put any pressure on yourself by expecting to run the whole thing immediately.  No-one will care (other than you, perhaps) if you walk parts of the course.  Of the 51 I've completed, only 1 of them has been without walk intervals, and it was nowhere near my PB, which admittedly is painfully slow anyway.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 10, 2021, 11:57:25 AM »

I completed Couch To 5k for the 2nd time a few weeks ago, timed perfectly for the original restart.  I ran the new course at my home parkrun (now a more socially-distance friendly route, going in the opposite direction) as the graduation run, resulting in one of my slowest ever times, and certainly the slowest time where I've ran a full 5k without any walk intervals.  I know from previous experience that run/walk will result in faster times, so I'm aiming for 3min/1min run/walk splits when it returns.

Ultimately, parkrun can be done any way you choose, so don't put any pressure on yourself by expecting to run the whole thing immediately.  No-one will care (other than you, perhaps) if you walk parts of the course.  Of the 51 I've completed, only 1 of them has been without walk intervals, and it was nowhere near my PB, which admittedly is painfully slow anyway.

Cheers Sheriff. 

Since the weather got a bit cooler I have been adding 1/2 km a week, so am now up to 4k.   I might just do a 5k tomorrow morning if I get up soon enough.   My pace is still slow, but the endurance is getting better and I even enjoyed the 4k.

I can't do week 1 of parkrun, as my daughter has managed to find a netball trial on the same day, so am going to get dragged along to that.  Good luck if you make it.

On the upside, am going to Scotland in a few weeks, so might give Aviemore a go.  It looks like you run up a hill after 1/2k and then run back down it.   I hate runnning up hills too, but hopefully the views are worth it.  If you are bored a couple of fellas did all the Scottish parkruns in a year, and put them on YouTube.  If you can get past the dodgy music, there looks to be some crackers there. 

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 14, 2021, 12:10:21 PM »

I failed to get out the day after as something cropped up, but decided to just run for 40 minutes yesterday.  The thinking was it is easier to just check 40 minutes on my watch, and even if I didn't get to 5k, I'd be close enough to know that I could do 5k when the parkruns started.  As it was I got to just over 4.6K which wasn't too bad for me.  It is on the borders of the slowest time I did parkrun in the past, but I should go a bit faster with people around for support and to act as targets.  I could definitely do with the temperatures keeping low though.

Anyway, the Scotttish parkrun channel is here. 

I have never been to Shetland or Orkney, but if I ever do get there, I think it would be a good adventure to take in a parkrun whilst there.  I suspect it would be quite easy to take one in whilst the missus and kids faff around for an hour or so, as they always do whenever we are supposed to be going somewhere.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 31, 2021, 02:48:00 PM »

Well, I did my first parkrun in 18 months this morning and really thought I'd be touch and go to beat my slowest time. 

They have a graduated start due to Covid, with the last of the 4 boxes marked as 35 minutes plus.  I was really hoping for a 40 minute plus box, so chose to start pretty much at the back.  I picked up a few places at the start and followed 3 women to feed off their morale, and because they were blocking my way by running 3 abreast through the narrow section with trees either side.  It was good for pacing anyway and I went passed them when it got wider and stayed ahead of them right to the end until one got me on the line.  I could hear them pushing each other on throughout which was a definite plus for me.

I didn't check my pace until after half way round and was surprised I was nearer 7 minutes per kilometre than 8.  There are couple of small hills on the course and I think the realisation of my pace made me think I could get away with walking up the second about 1km from the end.  But half way up I felt pretty good so started jogging it.  I finished pretty slowly, but still beat my old personal best with 38.5 minutes.   I was really chuffed with the time, particularly as I ran quite a bit further than 5k by starting at the back.   Whilst midtable is going to be a distant dream, maybe there is a 35 minute time in me going forward.   I should be able to do more in future as my kid's class that made parkrun difficult has now got later in the morning (older kids are later).  I'll take today's approx 15C temperature over 20+ every day of the week, makes the thing much more pleasurable.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: August 01, 2021, 08:27:18 AM »

Well played Dooby.

I think exercise at any level is probably the greatest single physical and mental health improvement scheme available, especially when you realise that the only thing you need to improve upon is your old self.

The older I get, the better I was.
Ledders

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 01, 2021, 09:15:50 AM »

Superb stuff Doobs
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 21, 2021, 09:45:44 PM »

Well played Dooby.

I think exercise at any level is probably the greatest single physical and mental health improvement scheme available, especially when you realise that the only thing you need to improve upon is your old self.

This is very true.  I am a natural at mathsy stuff, and OK in a swimming pool or on a bike, but have always found distance running difficult.  I was still 14/14 in my age group on my last local parkrun.  I saw Piers Morgan mouthing off in the Olympics about bronze medals.  These people are the best in their country and 3rd best in the World and still losers in his eyes.  I am hoping to get 13/14 one day but am still 4 minutes down on the next slowest.   

Anyway, I did Aviemore parkrun earlier.  It was a proper bastard, trending uphill for the first half, but up and down all the way.  They clocked me at a PB at 37.5 minutes, but think the timing cocked up and I was really a few seconds inside 40.   Scottish parkrunners are faster than English ones on a sample of 1, but beat at least 2 home and the tailwalkers.

If anyone gets the chance, do that one.  Glorious views of the Cairngorms from the top, but the whole route would be lovely if you didn't have to run up it.  You can even see me setting off at the back on the video in the second post down here.  I wanted to pace myself up the hill, but only ever went past two.

https://m.facebook.com/aviemoreparkrun/

Anyway, a few photos there that should give you a feel of how nice it is up there. 

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 22, 2021, 04:47:55 PM »

Well played Dooby.

This is very true.  I am a natural at mathsy stuff, and OK in a swimming pool or on a bike, but have always found distance running difficult.  ...

I'm the same on all parts of this - but you could also add short and middle distance running.

My main problem is I tend not to do things without motivation - in the past I did a few swimming events because I liked swimming, but the only way I could motivate myself to do running was with a longer term goal of doing a triathlon.

So I did a 5k run, a couple of 10k runs, an unsually distanced 5 mile run (although I mainly did that because it finished in the London Olympic Stadium) and a half marathon.

After that practice (with a few swim things in the meantime) then I was able to do a triathlon (albeit a bit of a turbo one)

That was in 2015 and I've pretty much failed to find a new target to motivate me yet.

Maybe when everything is back to normal I'll make more of an effort to work out another 5 year plan.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 22, 2021, 07:06:21 PM »

I made my debut as Run Director at Woodhouse Moor parkrun yesterday, which was good fun.

I've had issues with a niggly knee injury which means I'd only completed 2 out of the previous 4 parkruns since they returned, but it's so good that they're back again.

Well done Doobs on your progress.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 24, 2021, 09:59:08 AM »

Well played Dooby.

This is very true.  I am a natural at mathsy stuff, and OK in a swimming pool or on a bike, but have always found distance running difficult.  ...

I'm the same on all parts of this - but you could also add short and middle distance running.

My main problem is I tend not to do things without motivation - in the past I did a few swimming events because I liked swimming, but the only way I could motivate myself to do running was with a longer term goal of doing a triathlon.

So I did a 5k run, a couple of 10k runs, an unsually distanced 5 mile run (although I mainly did that because it finished in the London Olympic Stadium) and a half marathon.

After that practice (with a few swim things in the meantime) then I was able to do a triathlon (albeit a bit of a turbo one)

That was in 2015 and I've pretty much failed to find a new target to motivate me yet.

Maybe when everything is back to normal I'll make more of an effort to work out another 5 year plan.

Ironman 70.3?
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 24, 2021, 10:39:08 AM »

Well played Dooby.

Ironman 70.3?

.... :| maybe more like Eton Dorney Sprint distance triathlon

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: