blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:41:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  It's world book day
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: It's world book day  (Read 2514 times)
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2017, 03:09:22 AM »

American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis

Have read it several times and I find something new to disturb me every time. A challenging, thought provoking read that the film did little justice to.

Read it when it was first published. Very disturbing, about half way through I really wanted to give up but forced myself to finish it. Haven't watched the film as a result.

Think I'd take an Iain M Banks. Have read all his Ian Banks and love them and have really tried to get into the SciFi ones but lose the will to carry on about half way through. Would definitely keep me occupied.
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2017, 08:38:40 AM »

I thought the film was well done. It got the humour and satire nailed down. The more notorious passages were never going to make it to film, nor should they. They were a literary device imo. Interestingly the wire coathanger scene was played out exactly the same, and one question people who have only watched the film ask the book readers is "what did he do with the cost hanger...".

The film also nails the business card scene, which is my favourite part of the book.
The Wycher

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2017, 04:28:38 PM »

Tricky question but I think my all time favorite would be Legend by David Gemmell.

However if I was going to be stuck a long time then maybe Lord of the Rings to while away the time.

Interesting discussion on Radio this morning suggesting that maybe all the dressing up is getting in the way of the actual point of the day which is to encourage the reading of books.

Druss ! What an excellent choice sir.
Been a long time since I read the Drenai series, might have to dig them out. The two Waylander books were my favourites.  Gemmell is a real hero of mine.

Yes Gemmell is my all time favorite was such a shame that he went so young. Waylander books are excellent. I loved it that his heroes were often flawed characters that could almost have gone either way. I think the phrase about his heroes was they were infinite shades of grey rather than black and white characters.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: