blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:09:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272595 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Four shot penalty, are you shitting me?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Four shot penalty, are you shitting me?  (Read 4984 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: April 03, 2017, 08:18:33 PM »

The older I get, the better I was.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 08:24:08 PM »

Why did she do it?

Looks like she cheated to me. Even though it is the minutest bit closer, she obviously did it for a reason. When I heard it on the radio, I thought she'd marked her ball and walked away to let someone else putt and forgotten how she'd marked it.

But from that video, she picks her ball up and immediately puts it down nearer the hole.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Cavey007

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 09:10:32 PM »

I assume she picked it up thinking the other person was gonna play, looked up quickly and saw that she was still on? (Badly phrased. I'm not a golfer) but well. It wasn't put back in the same place, may have been a genuine mistake. May not

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 09:20:45 PM »

I don't think for a moment they thought she was deliberately cheating. If they did, why didn't they DQ her?

Can you imagine a result changing football penalty awarded the flowing day because a viewer rang in to say he had spotted an infringement?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 09:22:54 PM by RED-DOG » Logged

The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 09:24:51 PM »

I don't think for a moment they thought she was deliberately cheating. If they did, why didn't they her?

Can you imagine a result changing football penalty awarded the flowing day because a viewer rang in to say he had spotted an infringement?

Deliberately cheated? Maybe not.

But possibly something in her subconcious was nagging at her that this was a really dodgy putt and she put it down naturally nearer the hole to ease her nerves?

It looks like such an unnatural action to me. She doesn't clean the ball or anything. Literally picks it up and puts it straight back down fractionally nearer the hole.

The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 09:28:03 PM »

Or maybe she did it to avoid putting over a spike mark..

Every time I watch it, the whole sequence looks super weird.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 09:43:09 PM »

The ball was very poorly replaced - an inch out is a huge margin - but the timing of the penalty was seriously questionable almost 24 hours after the incident occurred.

She should have been notified before she teed off for the final round. After that there should not be any penalties applicable for previous rounds imo.

The penalty for signing an incorrectly favourable scorecard(incorrect because it does not include the two penalty shots) always used to be disqualification until Tiger was penalised for dropping incorrectly a few years back and the additional two-shot penalty suddenly appeared in the rule-book possibly because TV and sponsors didn't want to lose the biggest draw in the tournament, but this is the first time I've seen it implemented since.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 09:44:17 PM »

Or maybe she did it to avoid putting over a spike mark..

Every time I watch it, the whole sequence looks super weird.

Whatever the reason, unless the judges thought she was deliberately attempting to cheat, they surely can't justify a four stroke penalty.

How many strokes could her (most likely unconscious) actions have gained her, possibly one at most?

A travesty imo.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 09:56:07 PM »

Saying cheating is complete nonsense.  The video is extremely poor as it doesn't show where she was looking ie her eyeline. 

She was lining up the logo of the ball or whatever her routine was and seems to have been careless replacing it probably because she was slightly to the side presumably avoiding another player's line.

Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 10:27:11 PM »

That's really harsh. It's a gimme anyway!

Did she not dispute it?

The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 10:28:42 PM »

Saying cheating is complete nonsense.  The video is extremely poor as it doesn't show where she was looking ie her eyeline. 

She was lining up the logo of the ball or whatever her routine was and seems to have been careless replacing it probably because she was slightly to the side presumably avoiding another player's line.

If I pick something up and lift about 3 inches from the surface I picked it up from, I am 100% certain I could put it back in exactly the same spot I lifted it up from (or as close to that spot that no one would notice)

She has put it down nowhere near where she picked it up from.

If as I thought, she marked, moved away and came back and put back in the wrong place (I remember once a player moving his marker to avoid it being in the line of another player and then replacing his ball where he moved it to) then that would be completely forgiveable.

This just looks super weird to me.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 10:45:20 PM »

If I pick something up and lift about 3 inches from the surface I picked it up from, I am 100% certain I could put it back in exactly the same spot I lifted it up from (or as close to that spot that no one would notice)

If as I thought, she marked, moved away and came back and put back in the wrong place (I remember once a player moving his marker to avoid it being in the line of another player and then replacing his ball where he moved it to) then that would be completely forgiveable.

it wasn't "get me the fainting couch" nowhere near.  It was still v close to the coin, just slightly to the other side.  Think she just had a senior moment.

The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 10:54:30 PM »

it wasn't "get me the fainting couch" nowhere near.  It was still v close to the coin, just slightly to the other side.  Think she just had a senior moment.

I don't think we'll agree on this, but I think we can agree she deserved the first two shot penalty.

I think the additional penalty is unnecessary and harsh though.

If she didn't know she had incurred a penalty, how can she allow for it on her scorecard?

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 11:40:33 PM »

2 stroke penalty would of been fine, she picked ball up and lined the lettering up something i always used to do
but i never had a camera close up on me and millions of viewers checking i was exactly in correct position when i replaced ball

she signed for the score she was under the impression was correct it was only after a retrospective penalty was added that the score card became wrong so that 2 strokes should be wavered

golf rule book needs updating IMHO

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2017, 12:03:24 AM »

2 stroke penalty would of been fine, she picked ball up and lined the lettering up something i always used to do
but i never had a camera close up on me and millions of viewers checking i was exactly in correct position when i replaced ball

she signed for the score she was under the impression was correct it was only after a retrospective penalty was added that the score card became wrong so that 2 strokes should be wavered

golf rule book needs updating IMHO

It has been - signing for a lesser incorrect score used to mean disqualification.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: