blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 10:14:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Tanks on the lawn
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tanks on the lawn  (Read 5835 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2017, 10:03:27 AM »

Before the start of play in Montreal the other day John Duthie said

"Can we start a discussion about tanking generally because as a player I have left tables and seen many others leave due to individual players just taking too long. Isn't it time we tried to do something about it?"

live players: agree? shot clocks? get players to change? or no issue as you see it?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 11:50:39 AM »

There are new WSOP rules too.

The WSOP has also updated rule 80, referring to time allocated when a player calls the clock, in an effort to speed up play. Last year, the player on whom the clock was called had an extra minute to decide, once a TD had reached the table. This year, that minute shrinks to anywhere from 10 to 40 seconds in total, at the TD’s sole discretion.

Here’s the updated rule:

80. Calling-for-clock: Once a reasonable amount of time has passed and a clock is called, Floor People may, in their sole discretion, give the participant an additional 0 up to 30 seconds to make a decision. If action has not been taken when prompted by the Floor Person, there will be a 10-second countdown followed by a declaration or stopwatch alarm. If a participant has not acted before the declaration or alarm sounds, the hand will be dead. Rio, in its sole and absolute discretion, reserves the right, at any time, to invoke a clock or speed up the amount of time allotted for a clock. Any participant intentionally stalling the progress of the game or unnecessarily calling the clock will incur a penalty in accordance with Rules 40, 113, and 114.

If it needs changing, I think there should be some give for people are calling for all their chips.  There seems to be an increase in people putting people at risk and then pretty much snap calling the clock.  I suspect there is a high correlation between these people and the dickwads who go through a 30 second/i minute routine with every decision pre flop.  Both these actions are fairly detrimental to making the game enjoyable.   As an exception, if somebody is tanking pretty much every preflop fold when their chips are at stake they should be clocked every time.

Of course, every time someone wearing headphones asks "is it on me?" or "what was the action?", they should have their cards instamucked and then be sent to the naughty step for a couple of minutes.   

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 11:54:32 AM »

I think shot clocks are really good, & generally accepted well by players.

On the flip side, I watched the replay of the recent Millions final. The winner, Maria Lampropolus, played as slow as anyone I've seen, but it was a fascinating watch.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 12:06:52 PM »

On the flip side, I watched the replay of the recent Millions final. The winner, Maria Lampropolus, played as slow as anyone I've seen, but it was a fascinating watch.

I have never played under a shot clock, but don't think I would be averse to one.  So long as it is the same rules for all, I think it must be fine.  What I dislike is the players who do everything really slowly, but are then allowed to use a call for "clock" as a weapon against the weaker players who have been playing much much quicker all day. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 12:27:19 PM »

Why was it fascinating watching her play stupidly slow when watching anyone else playing that slow for no reason in totally routine spots against a rookie player with very little experience himself would be annoying as fuck?  Because she was a girl?
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 12:29:53 PM »

I think the dealers should have more freedom to call for a clock on slower players. Dropping the minute to 40 seconds is pointless as by the time the TD gets there you've probably already waited 5 minutes.

Dealers should be able to call the TD over when they think a player is being unnecessarily slow. If it's someone who's been holding the game up a lot then call the TD over pretty quickly, if they've been generally quick but all of a sudden have a difficult decision then give them a bit of leeway.

Shot clocks are open to abuse by twats who deliberately run them down every single hand just to piss everybody off. If anyone is persistently doing that especially around the bubble then the TD should be allowed to check their cards and see if it was a genuine decision or they were just being a tool.

Other than that shot clocks seem like an awesome idea although I've never play a comp with one.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 01:09:37 PM »

Why was it fascinating watching her play stupidly slow when watching anyone else playing that slow for no reason in totally routine spots against a rookie player with very little experience himself would be annoying as fuck?  Because she was a girl?

Can't rationalise it. Maybe the fact they were playing for a decent chunk made me more tolerant. Maybe just because she is a girl.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 01:12:01 PM »

Can't rationalise it. Maybe the fact they were playing for a decent chunk made me more tolerant. Maybe just because she is a girl.

Was she fit?

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 01:14:58 PM »

Was she fit?

She's a very nice lady. Not sure she's your type though - had way too many clothes on.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 01:17:06 PM »

Was she fit?

Not especially compared to 'your type' on the fitness thread back in the day.  If a bloke had played like that he would have been subjected to the type of abuse Will Kassoff got at the wsop for slow rolling.  It was verging on angle shooting taking that long to try to get a reaction out of the other guy imo.  Painful to watch.
Boba Fett
Doctor of Thugonomics

Pain is Temporary!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 03:47:20 PM »

I dont think people tanking for a long time on decisions is really the problem and if they are, its easy to call a clock on them.  Its the people that take 30 secs before each action and move in slow motion towards their chips that are the problem.  Theyre taking up a lot of time over the course of the day but not so much time in 1 action that you can call a clock.

A shot clock would help that but I think it hurts the people with legit decisions regardless of them having timebank chips.

Ya gotta crawl before ya ball!
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 04:41:19 PM »

I have never played under a shot clock, but don't think I would be averse to one.  So long as it is the same rules for all, I think it must be fine.  What I dislike is the players who do everything really slowly, but are then allowed to use a call for "clock" as a weapon against the weaker players who have been playing much much quicker all day. 

Surely online has a "shot clock "?
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 06:15:33 PM »

Surely online has a "shot clock "?

Guess so.   I wasn't thinking straight. 

The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 06:42:32 PM »

Has jakally become DTDNeil?

Are you working there? When did this happen?

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 06:45:39 PM »

Most mtt players multi table Huh?
There's no 2-3 minute allowance
It's very very annoying to watch and play against
A bit like verbal diarrhoea off will kassouf
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »