blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:51:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Laser Eye Surgery
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Laser Eye Surgery  (Read 2781 times)
atdc21

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2017, 04:04:21 PM »

Anyone had it done?
If so how did it go, cost, where you had it done , recovery time, how much improvement, in fact anything you could say about it.

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 07:11:37 PM »

Anyone had it done?
If so how did it go, cost, where you had it done , recovery time, how much improvement, in fact anything you could say about it.

A fairly close acquaintance who plays at the same golf club as I do had it done a few(5/7) years ago and says that he now regrets it somewhat.

He says that as much as it improved his long-range vision it has had a detrimental effect on the short-range and he now finds reading etc. nigh on impossible without specs.

Only an isolated case I know but possibly something to bear in mind.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 07:25:46 PM »

Had it done in 2007.  Paid about 3500 iirrc for what was the latest offering back then, they were pretty much guaranteeing 20/20 vision from it.  Apparently I was 6/4 which I didn't even know existed, but is 2 grades better than 20/20. 

The op itself is straightforward, as long as you can lie still and look straight ahead for 10 minutes.  When I got up from the table I could see the pixels making up the numbers on a clock, the same clock that I struggled to read the time on pre-op.

Coupe of hours later when the drops wore off, it wasn't too comfortable for a few hours (which I slept off) and there was some aftercare for a couple of weeks but other than that it was one of my better decisions.

I was told that my long distance would remain sharp for life, but as mid-age encroaches, the muscles in the eys lose their strength and you start to struggle to focus for reading and so it wasn't an op that was going to remove any future need for reading glasses.

atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 09:15:17 AM »

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming.

WellChief

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 10:03:38 AM »

I had it done in 2006, think it cost around £2500 at a local optical express. There was around half a day of discomfort which I slept off but that night my vision was perfect and I could watch a game of football on the tele without glasses/contacts for the first time. My eyes were a little dry for a week but you get eye drops for that. Eyesight is still great , and no problems with reading yet although I'm sure I will in the future as all people do as they age (I was only 22 when I had the op). Would say it's probably the best value thing I've ever bought!

4 or 5 of my friends have also had laser eye , all had similar experiences to me and are very happy with it.

RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 10:07:01 AM »

I had it done. Mixed feelings. Improved my long vision but I now need reading glasses which I didn't before.
atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 10:13:56 AM »

Hi Well Chief. Its Optical Express i have been in contact with, they say prices start form £595 per eye now, that seems very cheap to me.
Maybe there will be lots of 'extras' to bump price up ?
The first visit where they do comprehensive tests etc is free, with no obligation to continue, was this the case for you also?

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 08:37:37 PM »

Joo had it done 20 years ago. Best money she ever spent. Went to Optimax and had 2 different procedures over a couple of years.

A friend had it done recently though and is struggling with dry eyes.

Reserch for your needs essential I'd say.

RH12

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 12:06:37 PM »

anyone used a non high street surgery? I was sort of warned off them by my nhs consultant and told to look at private clinics, she couldn’t give me a name as it must be a conflict of interests but a google search generally just brings up the usual optical/vision express etc
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 01:40:04 PM »

, they were pretty much guaranteeing 20/20 vision from it.  Apparently I was 6/4 which I didn't even know existed, but is 2 grades better than 20/20. 

20/20 is imperial, 6/4 is metric. 6/6 is the 20/20 equivalent. If you look next to the rows on the opticians Snellen chart you'll see a small number 4, 6, 8, 12 etc.

20/20 means you can read the 20 foot line from 20 feet away. 6/4 means you can read from 6 metres what the normal person needs to be 4 metres away to see.

Without contacts I'm 6/100...
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 01:58:13 PM »

Did it 6 months ago in Latvia, 1500euros and couldn't have better things to say about it. If you're interested I can hook you up out there. Would need a 5 day trip from first consultation to final check.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2018, 04:22:08 PM »

Had a friend do it years ago and they were very happy with the results.
My Mrs went for a consultation but was touch and go whether she would be suitable so didn't have it done
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: