blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:40:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Peppers at 50
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Peppers at 50  (Read 1417 times)
teddybloat

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2017, 01:15:27 AM »

Sgt Pepper was 50 this week. I’ve a slight obsession with the album and I’d thought I’d share some boss love with you fine peeps. It’s a grand collection of songs, but I’ll tell a little known story about a forgotten classic off the album and try and give some context to its release

The album was released in different times, the 60’s really was a radical place. LSD and cannabis seeped out of record grooves back then there was revolution in the air and the beatles seemed to be right at the epicentre. Many counter culturists who dabbled in LSD reportedly thought the group were omniscient and pulling the strings as though they were bending the decade to their will through the music they released. They weren’t far wrong.

Pop music was ultra-competitive back then with bands trying to outshine each other’s efforts. After the beatles released rubber soul, the pet shop boys very deliberately countered with pet sounds. A brilliant riposte containing one the most beautifully constructed pop songs in god only knows. That song is heavenly in theme, ambition and melody. As a reply brian Wilson must of thought he had delivered an artistic uppercut.

He had pushed on pop music

Unfortunately for him the beatles where miles ahead of the game, and about to take popular music to a place it had never been before.

They dropped Revolver as their reply to pet sounds. Elanor Rigby  sounds familiar now, but its an astonishing song when you really listen to it. The classical composition, unfamiliar scale [written in an archaic folk scale last heard in popular use a couple of hundred years previous] and lyrics like ‘wiping the dirt from his hands as he walks from the grave; No one was saved.” And “Waits at the window, wearing the face that she keeps in a jar by the door” It was as far as could be from 4-chord, yeah yeah yeah beatlemania

Or so you would think. The last track of the album was an absolute plot twist for popular music. A seismic shift that MUST of exhilarated all who heard it in the 60’s

Using tape loops and pioneering studio techniques, abusing existing sound equipment and pushing the 60s studio to its absolute breaking point, it used lyrics borrowed from the Tibetan book of the dead by an LSD pioneer.  the band tried to capture on record the sound of an LSD trip. Fuck me, they succeded. Tommorow Never Know is a crazy soundscape even now.

20 years after acid house, modern ears still find it strange; 20 years before acid house I just don’t know how it would have been received. Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream indeed.

Wilson must have been shocked. Indeed we know he was. Trying to better Revolver consumed him and he and his band took to their studio. They weren’t to know that the beatles had already written much of Sgt Peppers.

It was against this backdrop that Paul McCartney visited the beach boys in their studio. He must have known the impact Revolver had had on popular music:  placing avante garde drug laced music into the home’s of the teenage masses and redefining the scope of pop-bands. He must have known how hard the beach boys would have to work to come close to it. He did what any cocky scouse git would do. He sat down at their piano and played his latest song. He sang for the beach boys She’s Leaving Home – a moving song about a girl running away form home. written with mccartneys usual classical precision and melodic beauty it slowly unwinds a personal tale of loss and domestic grief and lays it out bare. its a boss tear jerker right at the heart of the album.  He then got up winked and said ‘you better hurry up lads’ before leaving. Wilson must have felt like he had been nutmegged and had his pants pulled down.

He couldn’t finish his album and indeed wouldn’t release Smile until the end of the millennium.

I've rambled on a bit now so will simply copy and paste summat i had previously posted about peppers denoument : a day in the life

i have a certain obsession with some beatles records. a day in the life is one of them. i mean its moving and impersonal at the same time - a wonderful meditation on detachment. but its the extra attention to detail. mcartney at the height of his LSD comsumption asks for an aural happening, something that sounds like the end of the world. martin arranges for an orchestra to climb the scale and do so without vibrato then gets all four beatles and himself to thump a crushing E chord in 5 places of a grand piano. then ramps the mikes up so the reverb is so deep it drowns you, it lasts for minutes. its one hell of a statement and if it has been bettered as an album closing i've yet to hear it. [contrast that crushing closing chord with the equally infamous and rich opening chord to a hard day's night. academic texts have been written on that chord. martin was at the centre of all this creativity and hidden touches].

The whole album was an event upon release. the beatles debuted it by playing it through loud speakers across a scorching london summer. People had peppers parties where all they did was listen to the album.

Its a pop standard, a true classic that will surely stand the test of any length of time. Scarily the beatles also wanted to include strawberry fields and penny lane on the album, but chart rules meant they had to release them as singles. Incredible scenes and must have been a boss time to be young.

thanks for making it this far, hope it inspires people to dive into the beatles music
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 01:25:02 AM by teddybloat » Logged
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 12:52:54 PM »

What a terrific post ,thank you for sharing .

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 11:53:51 AM »

Agree with boo, that's a fascinating review, thank you.

I don't listen to music on that level, I just enjoy a nice tune & words that I can remember, & resonate, but Pepper would be in my Top 10 Albums, for sure. The title track is as fresh today as it was in 1967, & I especially love the opening.

I vividly recall it being released, too. Good Lord, that was - literally - a lifetime ago.

I was blessed to grow up in a golden era of music, but I am pretty sure there has never been, or ever will be, a song writing talent such as Lennon & McCartney, and then the double whammy of teaming up with George Martin.  

I was reading the story of Northern Songs a day or two ago. Northern Songs was the owner of the song-writing output of The Beatles & was a household name at the time, but somewhere in the distant past, the name disappeared. Here you go - an astonishing tale.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Songs

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 12:32:09 PM »

1967 was coincidentally the year when I got shipped out of the family home in London to go and stay with my Uncle Eric in St. Louis Misouri at the fairly tender age of nineteen, having led a somewhat sheltered life mostly in boys-only boarding schools from the age of seven. I think it's fair to say this was a watershed period in my life.

After a few months and several adventures which I have related up to a point on Red-Dog's diary, I ended up in San Francisco via Vancouver(which also had a thriving hippie scene) for what came to be known as The Summer Of Love - I was of course based in the area around the junction of Haight St. and Ashbury.

So it literally is - much to my surprise - in the words of John Lennon "Fifty Years Ago Today".

Fabulous post Teddy.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 12:35:14 AM »

Yes, a very good post, Teddy.

I'm the youngest of four, and it was my sister who was the Beatles fan. She joined the club & got the monthly mags, and the floppy plastic record at Christmas wherein the mop tops did silly, zany stuff specially for their dedicated fans. I wasn't old enough to have enough money to buy the records myself, but I have many many crystal clear memories of that place in time. Help! was her special Christmas present from Granny & Grandpa that year, and of course we went to see the film at the local flics. She was the supporting film - scared the living cr*p out of me, lol.

But when Sergeant Pepper was released, it opened up a whole new dimension to popular music. I nearly spent more time in my sister's room listening to that album and memorising every single lyric for every single track (they were all in the sleeve, holy shit!) than being outside playing football in the street. Of course I had no idea what most of them were about, but there was no mistaking the heartbreak of She's Leaving Home or the joy of Fixing a Hole, for example.

When the Beatles broke up, there really was a feeling of national mourning. It would have been worse if we didn't have Yoko to blame for it.

Subsequently, I've found myself trying to explain the enormity of the impact the Beatles had on every level of life in the UK at that time to my daughters. I think I managed to convince one of them; at least she seemed to appreciate the Love release just a few years ago. The other daughter just takes the piss. I hope she has the chance to re-assess, but her taste in music didn't get passed from my DNA.

Tomorrow Never Knows really is the most amazing track. If you just listen to an hour of other music from that period (65-66), then put this track through your speakers, you might just get the full impact of it. Incredible & timeless.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: